Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2021 9:21:04 PM EDT
I have a tiny shower stall that looks to be leaking from the handle. It is a combined single knob that you pull out for pressure and turn for hot/cold.

I do not have access from the back, but I can cut an access panel if it is easiest to do that. What exactly do I need to buy to replace it? I would like to buy the knob, valve, cartridge etc as one kit so I know it will all work together.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You can take it apart from front, shut water off and put new cartridge in most. Can you post a picture?sounds like moen
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can take it apart from front, shut water off and put new cartridge in most. Can you post a picture?sounds like moen
View Quote

I think you are right. a while back I had to screw around with it and I bought this handle and escutcheon which fit.

Another problem was that the mount for the two holes that you screw the escutcheon into had rusted/broke, which is why I was planning on replacing the whole unit (unless there is an easy fix for that too)
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think you are right. a while back I had to screw around with it and I bought this handle and escutcheon which fit.

Another problem was that the mount for the two holes that you screw the escutcheon into had rusted/broke, which is why I was planning on replacing the whole unit (unless there is an easy fix for that too)
View Quote
I'm a plumber and to me, that's not a good enough reason to change that valve out. It's a pretty decent/reliable piece. If you can't get the old screws out or chase the threads with a tap, you could always just stick the trim plate to the shower with silicone. Cut off the screws and do same with them to the trim. Or stick a piece of wood back there & use SS wood screws. I just can't justify a reason to swap that valve out unless you were doing a significant upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Moen - imo junk valves. Definitely get the cartridge puller tool.

Moen cartridge puller
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Home Depot or Lowe’s will sell moen parts. I would just shut the water off, pull the cartridge and match it up at the store
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top