Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2024 3:19:57 PM EDT
Just decided to take a week off to let my shoulder heal.  I have an impingement and it's been acting up lately.  I did a solid 6 months of Stronglifts 5x5s.  I changed it up last month for a month of 3 or 4 sets of 12.  Shoulder issue acted up.

I do dead hangs after every workout (see Dr. Kirsch) and that seemed to keep it at bay.  I also started doing those wall corner stretches and Diclofenac ointment twice a day.  I'm not going to the doc.  At least not yet.  I went 22 years ago and they gave me a cortisone injection.

So, I'm asking if there are any tips or tricks to keep the subacromion space open.  I'm not sure if it was the change to 12 reps that caused this.  Also, I'm in my 50s so not a spring chicken any more.  I can feel myself getting soft taking a week off LOL.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#1]
I have no advice unfortunately, but I’m sitting in the waiting room of my orthopedic doctor right now waiting for a follow up appointment on a labrum tear from almost a year ago.  

I’ve added lots of stretches and dead hands to my workout but I still have some very specific movements I can’t do and it aches all the time…so I’m here for any additional tips and tricks I might not know.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend who had his labrum repaired.  He wore a sling for a long time and PT was pretty bad.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
tag

I hurt my right shoulder doing heavy incline benches (yes, stupid I know).

I began favoring my left shoulder, so then it started hurting.

Now my left is 100%, but my right is ~70-80%. Been that way for the last year.   I've got an impingement no doubt.

I ain't getting surgery until it goes completely.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Just decided to take a week off to let my shoulder heal.  I have an impingement and it's been acting up lately.  I did a solid 6 months of Stronglifts 5x5s.  I changed it up last month for a month of 3 or 4 sets of 12.  Shoulder issue acted up.

I do dead hangs after every workout (see Dr. Kirsch) and that seemed to keep it at bay.  I also started doing those wall corner stretches and Diclofenac ointment twice a day.  I'm not going to the doc.  At least not yet.  I went 22 years ago and they gave me a cortisone injection.

So, I'm asking if there are any tips or tricks to keep the subacromion space open.  I'm not sure if it was the change to 12 reps that caused this.  Also, I'm in my 50s so not a spring chicken any more.  I can feel myself getting soft taking a week off LOL.

Thanks
View Quote

Lookup "crossover symmetry" on youtube. Don't buy their kit, as it's seriously overpriced for what it is. But buy bands with similiar resistance, and do the exercises on youtube. Really good PT for shoulders
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigx5murf:

Lookup "crossover symmetry" on youtube. Don't buy their kit, as it's seriously overpriced for what it is. But buy bands with similiar resistance, and do the exercises on youtube. Really good PT for shoulders
View Quote

Thanks.  I do have bands leftover from another injury...
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#6]
BPC157 really helped my frayed rotator on the left.
Using it on the right for what I think is impingement.
Adding TB500 to that today.
Don't lift much, but being 54 and pretty serious about BJJ puts a strain on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:
BPC157 really helped my frayed rotator on the left.
Using it on the right for what I think is impingement.
Adding TB500 to that today.
Don't lift much, but being 54 and pretty serious about BJJ puts a strain on.
View Quote

I’ve looked into this.  Where do you order it from?  Seems like a lot of questionable sites offering it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:

I’ve looked into this.  Where do you order it from?  Seems like a lot of questionable sites offering it.
View Quote

This.  I just went down that rabbit hole.  Lots of questions and some shady shit going on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#9]

This.  I just went down that rabbit hole.  Lots of questions and some shady shit going on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Same here.

And same left shoulder too. Pretty sure labrum and impingement.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:21:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#10]
I'd recommend getting the calcium out of the soft tissues with a quality magnesium like glyconate or taurate  and some K2 mk7 . The magnesium will also help eliminate uric acid if you have an excess.

* boron is another good one to send calcium to the bones and away from soft tissues . It also spares vitD and magnesium so it's easier to stay in the optimal range . Beneficial for healing and anti-inflammatory.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I read a little just based on the post.

Not too sure about it.  Don't know where to get it.  "Illegal" to be sold as dietary supplement according to one medical site.  Amazon carries a bottle @$99/bottle, but the few reviews are very mixed (one claims to have tested it and found no active ingredients).
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah,  I spent the better part of the day looking.  A lot of companies claiming high quality and such.  Dosages are all over the place.   Oral good oral bad.  And then a bunch of sites saying it's for research only,  not human consumption.

I'd like to think it would help,  but have no idea where to find a solid starting point.  And,  as you mentioned,  some sites saying it's banned while still for sale on Amazon.  It also ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#13]
@NoImpactNoIdea

What are your labrum tear symptoms?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#14]
@NoImpactNoIdea

What are your labrum tear symptoms?
View Quote

@Cooper1

I knew right away that I had hurt something, we were doing training at work and I pulled a guy out of the firehouse in full bunks/scba with one hand while talking on the radio with the other.  After that it ached at night (bad enough to make me up and keep me awake), I roll around a lot in my sleep so especially when I would lay on it.  Also very specific movements like if I had my arm horizontal, with my elbow bent in, then twisted my wrist towards me there would be sharp and shooting pain.  I discovered this while driving and trying to drink coffee, I just about dropped the cup in my lap.  

Since then I made my own version of what is shown below using a jump rope and a lacrosse ball:

Attachment Attached File

I also got a pillow with a neck cutout in it so I think I keep a lot more pressure off my shoulders while sleeping.  Doc told me the other day that I will need a shoulder replacement at some point as I have some other stuff going on in there but I'm only 40 and he doesn't want to do it now when Ill need another one in 20 years.  I've been getting cortisone shots every three months for the last 6 months and that seems to help a lot (other than right after the shot) and doing more mobility and strengthening exercises as opposed to the weight lifting I had been doing prior.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info.  I was watching the video of that device earlier this morning.  I was thinking I could make one myself, seems pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been doing the crossover routines. Mostly they seem to be rotator cuff exercises.  Internal external rotations.  

Started taking collagen as well and ordered a bottle of bpc157.  I'll post back as to its effectiveness.

I think I've watched every video on labrum tears. And from what I see.

- Most people have a tear, whether they have symptoms or not.
-It happens normally as we age, as well.
-Surgery is pointless,  discounting serious trauma.
strengthening the rotator muscles is about all you can do.
-Embrace getting older and falling apart.

Unity Gym seems to have some good routines.  I've stopped chest work because I can't seem to find an exercise that doesn't aggravate it.  I also have the bicep tendon thing going on so I'm weary of doing pull routines.

For you younger guys,  please use proper form and listen to your body.  I abused the shit out of mine thinking I'd never have to pay the Piper.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#17]
Also what happens normally as we age is calcium into the soft tissues . This leads to impingements and calcific tendinitis. It happens because of dropping glutathione,  melatonin,  testosterone,  renal function . Magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker it competes with calcium for space. Boron , k2 , magnesium really clean this issue up . The other issue is homocysteine, this is what drives a big part of the inflammation that directs the calcium to the soft tissues in the first place . I'm in my 50's myself , I've run up against this several times since I was about 38.

* as a bonus magnesium lowers homocysteine,  insulin resistance,  supports cardiovascular health and the endothelium,  supports mitochondrial function
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I take a D3k2 supplement.  Omega 3, multi,  and milk thistle.  I could add a magnesium I guess.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#19]
55 here.  I had a SLAP tear about 15 years ago from Crossfit, most likely kipping pullups.  Anyhow, I got it fixed (which sucked), turned down my workouts, quit Crossfit and was pain free for years, until my other shoulder started hurting.  I was like WTF and went to see the surgeon and he said he can fix broken but he can't fix old.  WTF, he said he sees it all the time.  "Doc, my knee hurts when I run marathons."  "Ummm, don't run marathons."  He said I need to turn it down more and have more recovery time and higher reps (15+) as my body can't handle the workload like when I was in my 30s.  

I'm not the man I once was, but I'm still pretty good.  I'll do upper body, take a day off, cardio (run), take a day off, lower body, take a day off, cardio (bike) and I'm pain free.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm pissed. My goal was to beat my best when I was 22.  1250 at a weight of 165.

I'm starting to think it's not going to happen
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm pissed. My goal was to beat my best when I was 22.  1250 at a weight of 165.

I'm starting to think it's not going to happen
View Quote

I beat my 22 y/o self at 35 quite handily . Post 50 self is needing a lot more attention to detail...I think beating 22 y/o self is still viable .
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Are you doing more pushing than pulling?

I'm a weak pusher, but if I add too much my shoulders start to kill me. I blame it on doing stucco for a few years straight at work. I have to do lots of chins and rows to keep them feeling okay.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I've always been better at pulling.  I think the 15+ years of competitive swimming as a kid built that.  My push numbers were never that impressive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#24]
BPC day 1
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 3:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#25]
Couple years back I started experiencing shoulder pain during my lifts.

One of the things that has helped me a great deal is the Mark Bell Sling Shot, which for me has been a God send.  Now, my shoulder pain was not severe and I never experienced any serious injury to it, so what worked for me may not work for you at all.  I learned about the Sling Shot from DJ Shipley of DEVGRU and GBRS fame so full credit to him.   What it does for me is really prevents me from flaring out or chicken winging during my bench press and so I really keep that good form throughout.  Plus, it does help with just a bit when you're in that part of the left motion where the shoulder is most under strain.   So, good form and just a bit of help at the right moment during the press.  

DJ Shipely of GBRS did a reall good video on bench press where he talks about form, it's over on YouTube and I found it realy helped me.  It can be really hard for those of us who have been lifting for a long time to admit that our form isn't great or could use improvement, but I know many guys that couldn't use a few more tips to improve their lifts and I don't think there is anything wrong with rethinking how you lift from time to time see if you can improve.  

It's funny isn't it? As an older lifter I've been forced to truly appreciate the importance of good form.  Throughout my youth folks would put such emphasis on it, but for me being a young guy at the time I could just beat the crap out of body and no problem, recovery was nothing.  Now, with higher mileage on this battle chassis I'm religious about good form, good grip, good posture and I probably put more work now into my recoveries than I do into the actual workouts or at least equal effort into them.  

Take it all in stride though, it's a puzzle to solve, it's part of your journey, and if you put the effort and the long patience into fixing things while being able to adapt I really do think it's practical now to be combat effective into your 50's. I rolled in BJJ a few weeks back with a bunch of guys in their early 20's and good Lord was I strong compared to these youngins, was a great ego boost.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:10:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tangotag] [#26]
I’m getting back into lifting again after too long off. I also only bench now with the Mark Bell slingshot. I’ve got a history of non-lifting related shoulder injuries that has kept me from lifting and only doing shoulder rehab type PT exercises. Light dumbbell hammer lifts and band /cable rig work is my rehab recommendation from numerous PT cycles. For me, the pain disappears after doing them.

I added reverse grip bench press last night. Supposedly it helps with that supporting tissues.
Getting and being old sucks.
I’ve done new PRs in bench wearing a slingshot but is it really a new PR? I won’t lift without one now. Also my Physical Therapist suggested I bench to the pipe not chest anymore. My rack has West Side spacing so it’s set just slightly above chest. But I keep a consistent stopping point that way. I don’t care that my bar is always hitting the pipes if it keeps me from having to run in for cycles of out-of-pocket PT and I can still lift.

My bench is also a flat Thompson Fat pad so shoulders are held to a nice flat surface like floor bench press.
Attachment Attached File

Mark Bell Slingshot is that big blue elastic band hanging from the safety squat bar.
Attachment Attached File

I really feel bad hearing about people having shoulder issues. It’s been a long journey with many set backs still avoiding the knife and surgeons.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Get a shouldet specific Ice Wrap.  It does wonders.   The best treatment for an impingement is to hang from a chin up bar and leg your shoulders stretch.   The therapist I had  would have me to 4-30 second hangs, it creates more headspace in the joint.  It worked so well that I now do it everyday before a workout.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the replies.  I've been doing dead hangs every day for about a year now after reading Dr. Kirsch's book.  This seems different now, as if the hangs aren't addressing the issue.  I will look into that slingshot thing.  I was able to do DB bench yesterday, stopping my elbows parallel to the floor.  I went very slow and it felt unstable at the bottom.  

My biggest gripe right now, as I work through this, is finding an exercise that works my chest without working my shoulders.  I think the closest I've found is the machine fly.  But I really don't notice a chest pump.  It just doesn't aggravate my shoulders as much.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the replies.  I've been doing dead hangs every day for about a year now after reading Dr. Kirsch's book.  This seems different now, as if the hangs aren't addressing the issue.  I will look into that slingshot thing.  I was able to do DB bench yesterday, stopping my elbows parallel to the floor.  I went very slow and it felt unstable at the bottom.  

My biggest gripe right now, as I work through this, is finding an exercise that works my chest without working my shoulders.  I think the closest I've found is the machine fly.  But I really don't notice a chest pump.  It just doesn't aggravate my shoulders as much.
View Quote

Welcome to the party pal.  This part sucks for me as well.

Here's what works for me.  Dumbbell bench only with elbows slightly tucked.  Not as tight as a close-grip bench, but not flared out wide like some folks barbell bench.

I have started doing lots of shoulder work, carefully.  Front, middle, rear deltoid isolation exercises.  Strict form while slowly increasing weight.

The above has helped my bench work.  It's improved weakness in my right shoulder.  My shoulder press/arnold press weight has gone up, but very slowly.  

I've recognized that my right shoulder will never be 100%.  I'm not going to be chasing bench 1RM numbers...probably never.  Don't care.  I'm 45yrs old and got accused of using steroids this morning by some young dudes at the gym.  So I figure my bum shoulder isn't holding me back too much.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd like to introduce you to the concept of "Active Recovery".    

In my 40's I can't just lift and then rest.  For me, it helps to have days where I'm using resistance bands and stretching.  Think of it as a weight training day where the point is the amount of weight just stretching that day with weight/resistance.   This is something that's really easy to do at home with some resistance bands and light dumbbells.  Plenty of good videos online, find what works best for you and be religious about it.

I find incorporaiting "Active Recovery" really helps me avoid injury and keep hammering away at my fitness.  I do "Active Recovery" for my lower body as well between my 10K runs.  I'm a big believer in it, because for me I have a pretty sedentary job and if I wasn't doing something active recovery wise I wouldn't be getting much stretch/use of certain muscle groups inbetween workouts (I lift three days a week right now).
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#31]

I've stopped chest work because I can't seem to find an exercise that doesn't aggravate it.

View Quote

Try neutral grip bench pressing, you can do it with dumbbells, but more optimal to use a swiss bar, or football bar (not many gyms have these).
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Did machine flys yesterday and my shoulder is sore as hell today.   I may just go back to the therbands for a while and forget about any upper body gains.

And that wonder drug bpc isn't doing anything.  I'm going to give it the full 120 days and see, even though reports show you should notice the effects within the first few days.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I use the Slingshot also for anything over 225.  I also squat with a spider/camber bar right now.  Been doing this for about a month and my shoulder feels better.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#34]
My shoulder is screwed. I've had 2 SLAP repairs, 1 bankhart repair, and a full laterjet reconstruction (involves relocating your bicep tendon and coricoid process to return stability to the joint). Every surgery eventually failed me. I've spent years in slings and now I need a total joint replacement but I have to hold out as long as I can until a) prosthetic technology gets better and/or b) I get closer to my grave.

Shoulder injuries are NO JOKE OP. Whatever you do, do it carefully and deliberately.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Just decided to take a week off to let my shoulder heal.  I have an impingement and it's been acting up lately.  ....
View Quote

I had a circumferential tear of my labrum that was found after months of PT in response to my impingemnet. I have a nerve issues to this day. I have MOST of my mobility back but not in a functional way. Like I pull a shirt on, but I can't throw a ball or do a lat pull down of any real load.

Take care of it early, I didn't and I will pay for it for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Protip: if you use any nicotine products STOP. They significantly impact your body's ability to heal, especially if you have any bone-related injuries.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#37]
That's interesting.  I use nicotine pouches excessively.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#38]
That's interesting.  I use nicotine pouches excessively.
View Quote

You gotta stop. My last ortho explained it to me. Long story short - I need a total joint replacement because I use nicotine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I appreciate the info.  I stopped last night.  

I had never heard of nicotine related joint issues.  My parents and associated friends and family were all chain smokers.  Never saw any with joint/ ligament issues.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I appreciate the info.  I stopped last night.  

I had never heard of nicotine related joint issues.  My parents and associated friends and family were all chain smokers.  Never saw any with joint/ ligament issues.
View Quote

Yeah neither did I until I was sitting in my ortho's office trying to figure out why the chunk of bone we just harvested from my shoulder blade was rattling around in my shoulder and causing me to need a prosthetic joint. He asked me if I used any nicotine products and then explained nicotine's effects on the body's ability to heal. I thought that sounded like something he probably should've mentioned BEFORE I poured a quarter million dollars into my shoulder. I was pissed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top