Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As title says.. dont care about price.... kinda want... not sure if need...ammo price suck's. What say the hive?
View Quote

Got an extra 300Blk upper if you need one, hit me up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This.

I have people begging me to make them ammo at $1/k.

My cost is about $0.07/rd (cast bullet subsonics).

Would be worth it if I had time to do anything but work and be dad/husband.
View Quote

Hell man, sub that work out and keep 60%
wtf?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Oh I want to go suppressed but is the investment worth it if I may likely loose it?
View Quote

Only if you don't lose both the rifle and right to own it together
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I was into.300" blackout  10 years ago, today it isn't as easy but if you can get anything now is the time. Fo
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I assembled one as a range toy.  

Then I put my 30 cal Specwar can on it and shot subs through it.

Then I took all the shit range toy parts off and replaced them with good ones.

300bo with subs and a can is Hollywood quiet.
View Quote

Ha! I did almost the same thing. I had some shitty range toy that I upgraded into something I really like.

To the OP. Right now is tough to get into 300BLK, unless you have materials to reload for it. I have about 150 rounds reloaded, and about 200 rounds of factory SS and maybe 100 rounds of subs. It is a fun gun to shoot and with subs and a can are fairly quiet. If you can get a good deal on one, and have other gaps filled, then I say why not? Ammo is going to be the big negative.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, you should, provided you already have 5.56 covered and intend to use it within it's capabilities.

Didn't vote though because your poll sucks..
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SPC
7.62x39

Would all be better choices in my opinion.  You could even go bigger

350 legend
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
50 Beowulf

Supersonic 300 blackout out of a pistol seems silly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#8]
No.  We're full up and don't have any more ammo.

Seriously...  there is no ammo available.  Not worth getting into if you're not already sitting on a fat stash
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No plans to go suppressed? That really takes most of the positives of 300BO off the table imo.
View Quote

I wholeheartedly agree.  And I own and love my .300 BLK.

I wouldn't own it if I didn't suppress it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No plans to go sub... or get a tax stamp.

Found a 10.5 kit....
View Quote

Then I dont see much of a point
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wholeheartedly agree.  And I own and love my .300 BLK.

I wouldn't own it if I didn't suppress it.
View Quote

Worth it with a SBR, silencer, and reloading.
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:42:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Do it. Ammo will come back. The rifle might get banned
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

What about the barrels?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you own a 556? Do you want a kaboom because that is how you get one.

I sold all my 300BO ammo and rifles / barrels after so many kaboom threads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As title says.. dont care about price.... kinda want... not sure if need...ammo price suck's. What say the hive?

Do you own a 556? Do you want a kaboom because that is how you get one.

I sold all my 300BO ammo and rifles / barrels after so many kaboom threads.

That’s dumb.

If people started posting every firearm accident in separate threads would you sell all your guns?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:08:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Plenty of 556 for across 6 ar's ( well I think plenty)

I know how to keep things in different areas...

View Quote

No worries mate, a single round of 300 BO will help you keep a 5.56 AR in several different areas.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:36:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I did about a dozen years ago.

It was dumb in retrospect.

For more info, see the TL/DR portion below.

It’s not totally compatible with standard AR mags like I was led to believe.  For supersonic it would have been better to just get mags and a 7.62x39 AR or AK.  Far cheaper ammo.  Or a mutant type AR.  AK mags were cheap, plentiful, and always worked.  

Plus, if you had an AR 7.62x39 mag based gun, or AK or AR hybrid using AK mags, you could have just bought subsonic 190 to 200 grain subsonic ammo, or loaded your own.

For subsonic,
A carbine can launch, at way less cost,
147 grain 9mm at 1050 fps,
180 grain and maybe even 200 at 1050 from a 40,
Do it with 230 grain 45 ACP,

And have to go easy on 220 grain 10mm to stay subsonic.

Sure, supersonic lighter loads crush the PCCs,
And I have not had any AR magazine give me troubles with the loads,
But subs can be very finicky without dedicated makes.  And my choice for 300 AAC/BO as an alternate caliber was based on no need for new mags.

So, essentially, knowing what I know now, I would not have built an AR 16 inch rifle or my AR SBR in 300 BO.

Basically, AR 5.56 mags and followers are not actually/truly 100% compatible with 300 BO, especially with subs.  So take that away.

You can pretty much get the same subsonic performance from a PCC that shares mags with your pistols.  Which is financially a way better deal.
So take away the thought that 300 BO offers a huge advantage over PCCs.  

You could have just bought some subsonic ammo for your AK.  Again, pretty cost effective.  Or load your own for it.  Boom, super and sub AK performance.  Using the AK mags you already had.
I wasn’t quite up to speed enough to realize this or stop to think about it a dozen years ago during the hype.

Alternatively, you could have just got a SIG55R, mutant/hybrid AR, etc. And used it for super and subs using the AK mags you already had.  Now, in fairness those may not have come out a few years after the peak 300 AAC hype.  But while it would also need its own magazines, the mini 30 had been around since the 80s.

Alternatively, you could get a 7.62 x 39 AR, and buy a batch of the mags the work good. Now, I don’t remember exactly the first time I saw an AR in 7.62 x 39, but when the 300 BO came out there was still debate of how good they ran and what mags were worth getting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Love my 10.5 suppressed, my favorite gun to shoot. You should get one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel, and a few cases of steel case ammo while it's still imported.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:13:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Love my 10.5 suppressed, my favorite gun to shoot. You should get one.
View Quote

Same.  Have been considering the possibility of having it cut down to 8.5 though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:17:11 AM EDT
[#20]
If you want it for the quiet factor just get a .45 upper and suppressor. The ballistics are nearly identical.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a 300blk with a 16" barrel and a 8.5" barrel pistol. I bought a Griffin Armament bushwacker for the pistol and it should be getting out of jail soon.
I bought a lot of ammo over the last 3 years, I don't reload so I'm not shooting either one very much right now but I really like the ammo selection you can choose from.
I also have a spare barrel in 5.56 for both in case ammo prices stay like this. I have plenty of ammo for the 5.56 but I'm not going to pay 2 bucks a round for the 300blk so I'm not shooting them much right now but when I get the suppressor I'm sure I'll burn up my subs pretty quick.
I don't see any reason not to get one if you don't end up shooting enough you can always change out the barrel to something else.
Dan
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Make sure you use different mags in your 300bo than your 556 guns.  I use lancer mags for my BO and other types for my 556 guns.  Don’t want to run the chance of cooking off a 300 in a 556 gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I did about a dozen years ago.

It was dumb in retrospect.

For more info, see the TL/DR portion below.

It’s not totally compatible with standard AR mags like I was led to believe.  For supersonic it would have been better to just get mags and a 7.62x39 AR or AK.  Far cheaper ammo.  Or a mutant type AR.  AK mags were cheap, plentiful, and always worked.  

Plus, if you had an AR 7.62x39 mag based gun, or AK or AR hybrid using AK mags, you could have just bought subsonic 190 to 200 grain subsonic ammo, or loaded your own.

For subsonic,
A carbine can launch, at way less cost,
147 grain 9mm at 1050 fps,
180 grain and maybe even 200 at 1050 from a 40,
Do it with 230 grain 45 ACP,

And have to go easy on 220 grain 10mm to stay subsonic.

Sure, supersonic lighter loads crush the PCCs,
And I have not had any AR magazine give me troubles with the loads,
But subs can be very finicky without dedicated makes.  And my choice for 300 AAC/BO as an alternate caliber was based on no need for new mags.

So, essentially, knowing what I know now, I would not have built an AR 16 inch rifle or my AR SBR in 300 BO.

Basically, AR 5.56 mags and followers are not actually/truly 100% compatible with 300 BO, especially with subs.  So take that away.

You can pretty much get the same subsonic performance from a PCC that shares mags with your pistols.  Which is financially a way better deal.
So take away the thought that 300 BO offers a huge advantage over PCCs.  

You could have just bought some subsonic ammo for your AK.  Again, pretty cost effective.  Or load your own for it.  Boom, super and sub AK performance.  Using the AK mags you already had.
I wasn’t quite up to speed enough to realize this or stop to think about it a dozen years ago during the hype.

Alternatively, you could have just got a SIG55R, mutant/hybrid AR, etc. And used it for super and subs using the AK mags you already had.  Now, in fairness those may not have come out a few years after the peak 300 AAC hype.  But while it would also need its own magazines, the mini 30 had been around since the 80s.

Alternatively, you could get a 7.62 x 39 AR, and buy a batch of the mags the work good. Now, I don’t remember exactly the first time I saw an AR in 7.62 x 39, but when the 300 BO came out there was still debate of how good they ran and what mags were worth getting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you want it for the quiet factor just get a .45 upper and suppressor. The ballistics are nearly identical.
View Quote

I want it for the ability to shoot subs and 110 gr. supers that have a MV of 2,300 fps.  The latter's ballistics are decidedly not similar to your .45.  Versatility is the game.

I want it for the ability to reload subs using .308" diameter bullets, not .312" diameter bullets, like the 7.62x39.  Much better selection of available bullets.

I want it for the ability to reload subs and shoot them in an AR-15, not an AR-10.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Make sure you use different mags in your 300bo than your 556 guns.  I use lancer mags for my BO and other types for my 556 guns.  Don't want to run the chance of cooking off a 300 in a 556 gun.
View Quote
I do the same thing. Lancer 20rd and I have a dozen of the magpul 300blk mags.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got the 8.5 SBR and can
Had it about 8 years shoot it alot with different cans
I reload so ammo is cheap and have a lot put together for it.

I still have thoughts of selling. Sold one 10.5 300 upper last Sept.
Mind you i got into this when it was the whisper and just bolt guns all custom cut dies and chambers.

I'm thinking of tossing the upper and going back to a bolt gun if i can find one.
Shoulda never sold the custom whisper remmy bolt gun, many regrets on that.

The 8.5 is just meh to me.
But if you can get one and want it go for it it's your money and for a few more weeks still America

Put it to you this way right now my SBR rifles all have 14.5 barrels and cans on them in 556
The 300 upper is just sitting on the safe shelf I'm that uninterested in it.and i have ammo for it in subs only like you wouldn't believe.

Oh one more thing....

the most compact package suppressed is my octane 9 hd at a total barrel lenght of 14 inches.
It just gets longer from the with the 45hd and then my 30 cal can and finally a old skewl Sonics two stage.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I want it for the ability to shoot subs and 110 gr. supers that have a MV of 2,300 fps.  The latter's ballistics are decidedly not similar to your .45.  Versatility is the game
View Quote

This. I bought a 300bo a few years ago but barely shot it. Then I got a 45 can and longer handguard. About last year I learned that it’s my favorite damn combo to shoot!

Even with the can it’s shorter than a 12” 870 or pinned 14.5” ar. Better balllistics in close. The option to quietly pop a coyote or switch a mag and defend my house. It’s the perfect pdw for me.

If you utilize the benefits it makes sense. I had a 16” aac that I literally never fired. Wasn’t worth the extra cost to punch a hole in paper.

I knew 300 was expensive but my high volume stuff is other calibers, so a dollar more a round (old days) doesn’t really make a difference. I’m not stocked deep but I have more than enough for a doomsday load out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#28]
A .338 Lapua Magnum is what you seek...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A .338 Lapua Magnum is what you seek...
View Quote

Suppressed?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#30]
“ I don’t care about price”

Well, yeah dude it’s a great round and all.

You guys hiring?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No plans to go sub... or get a tax stamp.

Found a 10.5 kit....
View Quote
If your not going to suppress it then don't bother. Not right now at least. Not worth it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I love my 7" barreled 300blk with a Law folder. I have a YHM resonator and it is stupid quiet. I wouldn't bother if not suppressing though.

I 3D printed index clips in different colors. Green on my 556 guns and white on my 300blk guns. I also only use translucent mags for 300blk and black mags for 556.

FYI the ETS mags will feed 556 or 300blk. It's printed right on the mag. Works with subs too. (All of my ETS mags are 300blk only to avoid danger noodles.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Money no object, go for it. You'll find all you want...lol

Don't let the naysayers convince you otherwise.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a nice PSA 300 pistol with law tactical folder on it that's still unfired.

I have about 800 rounds that I'm too cheap to shoot. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger at $1 plus a pop.

I'm thinking about just cashing it all out and buying something nice with the money. Im not much of a shooter because of the cost and I already have several 5.56 ar's.

I think many shooters are about to be priced out of the market. Very few people have the money or space to build up a lifetime ammo fort.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, but Im a pretty big 300 fan

The gucci bullets like the barnes tac tx do actually gucci things

Its an efficient super shorty rifle round. Whats not to love?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Then don't bother
View Quote

Yea, not worth it.  Buy more 5.56 ammo or something you can actually find a use for.

Ammo is way worse than you realize or you would not have posted this.  Not suppressed and you let half the air out of the balloons before the party started.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Do it. If you get bored of it, sell the barrel and go back to 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I want it for the ability to shoot subs and 110 gr. supers that have a MV of 2,300 fps.  The latter's ballistics are decidedly not similar to your .45.  Versatility is the game.

I want it for the ability to reload subs using .308" diameter bullets, not .312" diameter bullets, like the 7.62x39.  Much better selection of available bullets.

I want it for the ability to reload subs and shoot them in an AR-15, not an AR-10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The idea that the 300 AAC subsonic external ballistics are the same as a .45 is ludicrous anyways.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What about the barrels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about the barrels?

I think the left will try to ban every component of an "assault rifle"

As long as caliber can be shot through a fudd gun, then it'll bounce back.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#40]
My main thought process on getting it was to have a very compact PDW that was an identical platform to the ARs i shoot so frequently.

I doubt I'll ever bring the 300 to a class where we're shooting 1000 rounds...but I can use my 5.56 rifle in that class, then grab the 300 if need be and be super familiar with it. So even though ammos a bit more $ I don't feel the need to stack several thousand rounds, im ok with just having 500-1000 at any given time.

FYI too, I just ordered another 250 rounds of 300, 150 grain brass cased FMJ for $1.32/round including shipping...not exactly cheap, but its available if you look.

And like I said above...at this point (sadly) $1.32/round isn't much more than 5.56 right now...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe.

It's one of the few calibers that hasn't been sold out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe.

It's one of the few calibers that hasn't been sold out.
View Quote

You serious Clark?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Imho .300 Blackout reaches its full potential, only in the hands of a select group.

Reloaders, who have or, are willing to build, a two stamp gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The idea that the 300 AAC subsonic external ballistics are the same as a .45 is ludicrous anyways.
View Quote

A 220 gn round going under 1050 is the math involved in both 45 and 300BO.

The 300 has a better ballistic coefficient and from what I hear can punch soft armor so it’s not identical but F=mv^2
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The 300 has a better ballistic coefficient and from what I hear can punch soft armor so it’s not identical but F=mv^2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.45 has about 11.75” of drop at 100 yds. It also will be just under 900 FPS at that range. 390ish ft-lb

300 AAC has about 5.75”. It will be just under 1000 FPS at that range. 480ish ft-lb

Pretty significant difference.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Get bills number
View Quote

Why buy a AR in BO in the middle of a supply crisis, when it's easier to just shoot BO in your existing AR?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This.

I have people begging me to make them ammo at $1/k.

My cost is about $0.07/rd (cast bullet subsonics).

Would be worth it if I had time to do anything but work and be dad/husband.
View Quote

If a guy was reloading already, and hadn't run out of primers, can you still find 200gr x .309 molds?
When your .223 necks get thin, can you make .300 BO brass out of them?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Put together an upper using a 6.5" V Seven barrel a month or so ago. Using a rugged razor along with a jp silent captured spring. Functions flawlessly with subs and supers and runs superbly.

I gave up going below 12.5" in 5.56 figured 300 blackout is by far the best option for a short ar15 style rifle. Ammo is next to impossible to find though so I'd say don't bother unless you reload. I've been able to find powder, brass, and projectiles for it but even then it's not exactly the cheapest those heavy bullets are expensive. And forget about finding any of the high performance supersonic projectiles like the Barnes stuff that's popular.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a 16"300aac but havent ever got a can for it. I dont do much with it. Would rather shoot 556. I would probably like it more if i had a can and sbr.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
.You can pretty much get the same subsonic performance from a PCC that shares mags with your pistols.
View Quote

Ahhh, because bullet weight and velocity are all that matters in ballistics.

Attachment Attached File

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top