Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Just shoot him in the toodles.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the budget?  

I'd rate them as MP5 type gun first (many options, some under a grand).  

I see the stribog grand power for sale around $600. Never saw one in person and don't know much about them.

But a PCC solves your problems for sure.
View Quote

My nephew has a Stribog and it's been solid.

It DID develop an issue with dropping mags randomly (fixed by removing some finish that was causing a pin to be too long. Can ask my brother for details, but he said it was easy to fix)

My nephew shoots the crap out of it and hasn't been able to break it yet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Read a few reviews. They're apparently very unreliable.

After all, consider this thought experiment, if there really were a super-reliable M1 carbine in 9mm using common mags on the market, at a $400-$500 price point, there would be millions sold. They would be discussed everyday around here. Yet for some reason this hasn't been a hot seller...
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For a PCC, I can recommend a Beretta CX-4 Storm. I think it has a lot going for it for your friend:

-20 round mag within the pistol grip

They often go on sale for $550 or so. Looks like they are around $800 at the moment

View Quote

came here to echo this.  super low recoil.

the posters above are correct about shotgun recoil.   most 'non shooters' want nothing to do with that...
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ruger PC carbine.

My mom refuses to shoot a shotgun. Recoil sucks for her.

She will shoot a 9mm all day long
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Shotguns too long and awkward for older ladies in a house. Get her a nice 4 " revolver in 38 special. She can learn it very fast. If she is squeemish load it with snake shot. I just have a hunch that a face full of no. 9 shot will make any perp change his plans for that evening.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#8]
different option, and what I did for my non-interested-in-guns wife... Lever gun in 357. Same manual of arms as a Red Ryder, and she likes shooting that. 357 out of a 16" barrel gets stuff solved with very light recoil. 38s are basically like a 22.

Could even do a youth henry 22 mag or something. Leave it loaded, she won't need more than ~11 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
AR > PCC

The AR will have less recoil than the PCC, and shoot a much more effective round.

Fixed income?

$350 PSA AR-15 + ~$100 PA Red Dot
View Quote

She's not going to have the hand and arm strength to manipulate the controls. Especially under duress.

Give an AR to a petite older woman and tell her to lock the action back to clear a potential issue, and you'll see why this is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm going with this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't imagine why I'd recommend a shotgun over a PCC to a petite, novice, female shooter.

I'm going with this

Having dealt with similar issue on the past, I found that some petite women can’t load a mag under tension. Manipulating certain functions of the gun, ftf and other issues overwhelm them sometimes.

I’ve seen ladies respond well with 20 gauge positively.

I guess it depends on the person and how motivated they are to learn.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shotguns too long and awkward for older ladies in a house. Get her a nice 4 " revolver in 38 special. She can learn it very fast. If she is squeemish load it with snake shot. I just have a hunch that a face full of no. 9 shot will make any perp change his plans for that evening.
View Quote

Absolutely not. At least half of the criminals and home invaders in the community wear Level III plates at least. She needs to be prepared to fend off an burglar entry team with quad-tube NVGs, ballistic shields, layered soft armor and plates. Snake shot? Her funeral, bro.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
We got my mom a Ruger pcc. It now has a Trijicon RMR. She bought a pmag drum mag. Mother  is out of control. A 78 yr old, 98 lb 5' lady sitting in her rocker shucking corn with her Ruger in the corner.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife lived on a farm before we were married way out in the country. Her little old country house was way out on a corner of a gravel road. She would often have people pull up to her house, drive around, sometimes even park there if her truck wasn't there. She had a 357 someone had loaned her. She had shot it once. I let her shoot some of my revolvers and realized that barn doors everywhere were safe from her wrath. I convinced her to get one of the Mossberg youth/women shotguns with the shorter barrel, improved cylinder that came in pink camo. For a man, it was real easy to shoot. It still pushed her around and she complained how sore she was after shooting less than 15 rounds through it.

It filled a need at the time, I would not let her make that same choice again. PCC all the way.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#15]
PCC
Shotguns require a lot more work to shoot well, and have a lot more recoil than a PCC.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
different option, and what I did for my non-interested-in-guns wife... Lever gun in 357. Same manual of arms as a Red Ryder, and she likes shooting that. 357 out of a 16" barrel gets stuff solved with very light recoil. 38s are basically like a 22.

Could even do a youth henry 22 mag or something. Leave it loaded, she won't need more than ~11 rounds.
View Quote

Some .22wmr ammo is over 2000fps out of a rifle; not a bad idea and a pretty simple manual of arms. I think Skinner makes a tube mag light mount now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Of the two, PCC. Easier to shoot, higher capacity, easy to accessorize.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Having dealt with similar issue on the past, I found that some petite women can't load a mag under tension. Manipulating certain functions of the gun, ftf and other issues overwhelm them sometimes.

I've seen ladies respond well with 20 gauge positively.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't imagine why I'd recommend a shotgun over a PCC to a petite, novice, female shooter.

I'm going with this

Having dealt with similar issue on the past, I found that some petite women can't load a mag under tension. Manipulating certain functions of the gun, ftf and other issues overwhelm them sometimes.

I've seen ladies respond well with 20 gauge positively.

Dual-position feed mags are easier to load, and why not pick up a mag loader and some spare mags?  

It if wasn't for NFA '34, a Sten gun, abet with aweful to load mags, wouldn't be bad for an older lady that had 3 or 4 mags already loaded.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Absolutely not. At least half of the criminals and home invaders in the community wear Level III plates at least. She needs to be prepared to fend off an burglar entry team with quad-tube NVGs, ballistic shields, layered soft armor and plates. Snake shot? Her funeral, bro.
View Quote

If in doubt gut or head shots solve the problem. I have trained my wife that if the first center of mass shot does not take them down, the second shot is half way between their dick and belt buckle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Get her a good PCC and forget the shotgun. She probably said shotgun because she thinks it can just be pointed at the wall and hit everything while blowing the perp ten feet in the air.

Good PCC, a good quality (Not expensive) red dot and some good SD ammo and have her practice a little. She’ll be well protected.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're right, .410 is scarse and high priced.  A 20 gauge, 16" barrel sent to a gunsmith to port would be a good option.
View Quote

You want Grammy to go to jail? Why do you hate Grammy?
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
M1 Carbine or AR 15.
View Quote

This.  P90 as well, for an outside straight.  Put easy to see dot on whichever you choose and go have fun.  

Make sure she has earpro close at hand.

I wouldn't recommend shotguns unless she had experience already or wanted to also things like go bird hunting/sporting clays with one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same.  I've introduced several, all thinking or had suggested to them shotguns, to shooting, and with 2 exceptions they all went with 9mm ARs.  The exceptions were ine who laid eyes on my M1 carbine and just had to shoot it as well a PCC, and ended up buying one of her own, and another who thought an AR was "too militaristic," who went with a semi auto UZI instead.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Would she actually shoot someone? To kill them? My experience with 2 older ladies was no, they would not.

If yes I think a 9mm PCC would be good.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Personally I think this is the perfect case for a pcc. A braced gun would be perfect but something like a Ruger would be good.
View Quote

Yep...
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife loves her Beretta CX4 Storm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I would love to find her an M1 Carbine, but aren't those going for stupid prices now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M1 Carbine or AR 15.

I would love to find her an M1 Carbine, but aren't those going for stupid prices now?

Find a Plainfield or one of the other post-war ones. Only the ones made during the war are all that desirable.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Draco NAK9 or 9s. Reliable, inexpensive and simple to use. Bullet hoses.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#29]
A Hipoint 995 is $320 online. She can be into a few boxes of ammo + FFL fees for $450 total.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuck the shotgun. Get a PCC and she'll want to shoot it all day.

Small ladies just don't have the hand and forearm strength to correctly handle the manual of arms an AR platform gun, but a PCC is super easy for them. A shotgun is something they'll just not want to shoot at all.
View Quote

This, here. If they run well, a little PCC with a weapon light and a red dot looks like it would suit a weaker woman well. Ruger makes one that can use Glock mags. S&W makes a new side folder that accepts their bigger mags.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Shotguns too long and awkward for older ladies in a house. Get her a nice 4 " revolver in 38 special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Shotguns too long and awkward for older ladies in a house. Get her a nice 4 " revolver in 38 special.
I wouldn't recommend a novice female shooter with little interest in practice a revolver any more than I'd recommend a shotgun.
My guess is, in an emergency, there's going to be a lot of missing and very little reloading.
She's either getting the job done with what's in the gun, or it ain't getting done.
A shotgun or a revolver is going to significantly limit her on-board ammo supply.

Quoted:
She's not going to have the hand and arm strength to manipulate the controls. Especially under duress.
She needs to work the safety and the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#32]
A reliable PCC would be the option she could learn to use competently with shortest learning curve.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#33]
If she can afford a beretta pcc and if she cant get her a high point carbine and vet it for a few hundred rounds. Put a red dot on either and the shooting skill to hit something at 20 feet is next to nothing.

The beretta is better because of mag capacity.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For a frail woman the shotgun isn't where I would go first.

Ironic, you may think, from a guy who literally makes money teaching shotgun.

But I don't teach shotgun to make money, I teach to help people capably defend themselves.

A gun that's unsuitable for her doesn't encourage her to develop the kind of proficiency she will need on the worst day of her life.

PCCs have more recoil than you might think, but are usually pleasant enough to shoot. I've heard nothing but good things about S&W's new PCC.

The Ruger 10/22 loaded with good ammunition it likes to run and equipped with a red dot is light, handy, and with the 25 round Ruger magazines offers a decent defensive option.
View Quote

Another vote on the 10-22. Mine has been a favorite plinker for years. It runs CCI minimags flawlessly.  Let my 8 year old grandson shoot it for the first time this weekend. Soon as he was instructed on how to operate it and see the dot on the Sig Romeo 5, he was pinging all the 6" plates at 25 yards. He wanted to shoot the "cool looking rifle" in my safe. It has a light, skeletonized Druganov style fiber stock on it.

If a right-handed,  left eye dominant 8 year old can load, operate the controls and ring steel with it, a granny should be OK, too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#35]
20 gauge 870 youth model
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A Hipoint 995 is $320 online. She can be into a few boxes of ammo + FFL fees for $450 total.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Granny needs a Turkish $1000-1200 MP5 knockoff from PSA with accessories.

Shotguns are heavy and hard to bring to target unless you are already in a duck boat 24 PBR's deep.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#38]
This is a tough one... I would say an 870 20ga or an AR, but those are fairly complicated for someone who is not willing to learn. It's very easy to forget how to disengage the safety or how to chamber a round etc. I've also seen new shooters get a Glock to jam by limp wristing... Usually I suggest a Glock 17 loaded and secured inside of a holster, that way all you have to do is pull the pistol out of the holster and it's ready to fire 18 times, or 20 with a 19x magazine. That's what my wife uses for protection at home, Glock 17 with a 19x magazine loaded with 124gr +P gold dots, chambered in a holster. She also carries a p32 in her purse. For a long gun, she prefers an 870 loaded with buckshot, but also feels confident with an AK47 or AR15.

My grandma has a .38 S&W airweight and a single shot 20ga shotgun loaded with buckshot, but she wants a .410 shockwave for snakes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Can't believe you have to ask.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#40]
20 ga all the way.   Many advantages over handgun or even PCC
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Personally I think this is the perfect case for a pcc. A braced gun would be perfect but something like a Ruger would be good.
View Quote

The Micro Roni with a Glock or P320 is a great handy little firearm. Given the current environment though, braces are something some folks don't want to touch.

I love the Ruger PCC but is it a little heavy for a smaller and older woman?
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup

PCC
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#43]
14.5 pencil barrel AR-15.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Another vote on the 10-22. Mine has been a favorite plinker for years. It runs CCI minimags flawlessly.  Let my 8 year old grandson shoot it for the first time this weekend. Soon as he was instructed on how to operate it and see the dot on the Sig Romeo 5, he was pinging all the 6" plates at 25 yards. He wanted to shoot the "cool looking rifle" in my safe. It has a light, skeletonized Druganov style fiber stock on it.

If a right-handed,  left eye dominant 8 year old can load, operate the controls and ring steel with it, a granny should be OK, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For a frail woman the shotgun isn't where I would go first.

Ironic, you may think, from a guy who literally makes money teaching shotgun.

But I don't teach shotgun to make money, I teach to help people capably defend themselves.

A gun that's unsuitable for her doesn't encourage her to develop the kind of proficiency she will need on the worst day of her life.

PCCs have more recoil than you might think, but are usually pleasant enough to shoot. I've heard nothing but good things about S&W's new PCC.

The Ruger 10/22 loaded with good ammunition it likes to run and equipped with a red dot is light, handy, and with the 25 round Ruger magazines offers a decent defensive option.

I was going to say the same thing.  A lot of older folks know how to work a shotgun or lever action so they may not actually be bad choices but I know or have known more than one older person who kept a .22 rifle on hand just because they could comfortably handle them.  My best friend's mom has rheumatoid arthritis and keeps a Marlin Model 60 loaded in the closet; not ideal, but she can actually handle the gun and will actually occasionally shoot it.  No, .22 isn't ideal and she's not going to be reloading it under stress but over a dozen rounds of .22LR in a gun that she can handle and will occasionally shoot is better than something she's scared of and won't shoot at all.  My mom will shoot my father's Ruger MKI; she's shot everything else including the .45 Colt Blackhawk, but the MKI is about the only gun she'll still shoot at her age and she's still accurate enough with it.  I've offered to buy her anything she wanted but she won't change.  One of my aunts has a Mossberg .410 on her side of the bed (my uncle has an 870 12ga on his side); she grew up dove hunting with a pump shotgun so it's natural for her and has very little recoil.  One of my grandfathers kept a 16" .357 lever gun handy in his camper and at home since his wife could also handle it (again, old folks who grew up on westerns).  

TL:DR- anything you can actually get her to like (she's female after all and sadly that very often comes into play) and occasionally shoot is going to be far better than the gun she doesn't like and won't shoot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Hook granny up vith that tommy gun from her youth.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#46]
22 revolver.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fuck the shotgun. Get a PCC and she'll want to shoot it all day.

Small ladies just don't have the hand and forearm strength to correctly handle the manual of arms an AR platform gun, but a PCC is super easy for them. A shotgun is something they'll just not want to shoot at all.
View Quote

This.  I’d even say that goofy keltec sub 2k or the the cmr 30 in 22mag.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#48]
My 80 year old mother loves her KS7 loaded with minishell slugs and buckshot. She also edc a LCP2.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Locked or at least delayed action PCC. MP5 or similar.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Top Top