Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2018 5:00:11 PM EDT
Looking pretty hard at the remaining 2018s.

About a $20k difference between the 2. Is the GT350 worth the extra$$$$?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Um, yea.

5.2 vs. 5.0 to start with.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes and I have a 2017 GT premium 5.0.   The Shelby has better engine. Better performance. Better handling. Better appeal.  Better track manners Better resale. Better sound. Better brakes. Better everything. I just couldn’t justify the extra cost for a summer fun 2nd car.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
And, the Shelby will hold its value better in the long run.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
A PerfPack 2 comes damn close to a GT350.

That is why Ford left the coolers off the PP2 in my opinion so as to make you go that extra distance to the GT350.

Also probably the reason there is no 10spd option for the PP2 because it very likely would beat the GT350 in a lot of acceleration metrics while having almost as good handling.

I would have loved a GT350 but I can do nothing but laugh when I see a GT350R for 76k with a 20k dollar ADM at my local dealer.

Why?   Because GT350s have the same shitty assed AC condenser as my 2015 which blew up with 8500 miles on the odometer.

I am not thoroughly convinced the issue is fixed either.   Have to wait to see how many 2017-18s blow up their AC too.    70 page known issue thread over at Mustang6g
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A PerfPack 2 comes damn close to a GT350.

That is why Ford left the coolers off the PP2 in my opinion so as to make you go that extra distance to the GT350.

Also probably the reason there is no 10spd option for the PP2 because it very likely would beat the GT350 in a lot of acceleration metrics while having almost as good handling.

I would have loved a GT350 but I can do nothing but laugh when I see a GT350R for 76k with a 20k dollar ADM at my local dealer.

Why?   Because GT350s have the same shitty assed AC condenser as my 2015 which blew up with 8500 miles on the odometer.

I am not thoroughly convinced the issue is fixed either.   Have to wait to see how many 2017-18s blow up their AC too.    70 page known issue thread over at Mustang6g
View Quote
This man knows of what he speaks. The PP2 is the baby GT350 and can be had for $45K.

The 350 is an instant classic but the PP2 is a poor man’s Porsche.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you considered getting a 800 hp Whipple supercharged Mustang from Lebanon Ford for about $40k with warranty?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I know not on your list but for me the choice would be extremely low mileage 2014 GT500.  Or maybe a Roush aluminator.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you considered getting a 800 hp Whipple supercharged Mustang from Lebanon Ford for about $40k with warranty?
View Quote
Those cars are really geared towards straight line acceleration and it sounds like OP wants a car that is proficient in the twisties.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes and I have a 2017 GT premium 5.0.   The Shelby has better engine. Better performance. Better handling. Better appeal.  Better track manners Better resale. Better sound. Better brakes. Better everything. I just couldn’t justify the extra cost for a summer fun 2nd car.
View Quote
yep to all......trying to rationalize the extra $$ over the GT.  Drove a GT premium yesterday and it was pretty quick and fun to drive but at the end of the day, its just a GT.  I'd definitely like a little better resale down the road...
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know not on your list but for me the choice would be extremely low mileage 2014 GT500.  Or maybe a Roush aluminator.
View Quote
I'd like to steer clear of used....just wouldn't want one that was romped on...
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd like to steer clear of used....just wouldn't want one that was romped on...
View Quote
That’s why you get one with like 10k miles. Almost all of them are garage queens unlike GTs that get the shit run out of them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This man knows of what he speaks. The PP2 is the baby GT350 and can be had for $45K.

The 350 is an instant classic but the PP2 is a poor man’s Porsche.
View Quote
No such thing as a poor man's Porsche because 'there is no substitute'
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Drove both the GT350 and GT PP2 (and the new Ford GT as well) on track and could not believe how great each was to drive. Gobs of torque, lots of traction, strong consistent brakes, great balance, and a communicative chassis. The PP2 is 95% of the performer of the GT350. Obviously, the GT350 sounds better and a flat plane crank is a great engineering feat but I wouldn't be ashamed in any way of owning a PP2. Awesome car.

The only cons seemed to be a vague shifter and a high seat position in both. Loved the car though. Made me want to buy a Mustang.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I have not been able to find any GT's with the PP2....only the PP.  Is that an option on the '18s or only '19s?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Having a factory name like Shelby is worth a great deal on resale.  A comparison would be a Nighthawk, or Wilson 1911 vs a Springfield Armory.  There is nothing wrong with Springfield armory, but there is much positive name recognition for Nighthawk and Wilson.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#16]
If you can truely afford the Shelby, you have your answer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have not been able to find any GT's with the PP2....only the PP.  Is that an option on the '18s or only '19s?
View Quote
I believe PP2 started with the '18 model year.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Cost and performance aside, I wouldn't be caught dead spending my money on something as hideous as an 18+ Mustang

GT350 in your case for sure, but if it were me I'd go for a 13-14 GT500 instead.

Trinity > Voodoo
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought an 18 GT350 about 2.5 months ago. Never drove a GT PP2 so cant compare but any 350 specific questions, ask away.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Any pics of your GT350?  That is one car I would love to own.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bought an 18 GT350 about 2.5 months ago. Never drove a GT PP2 so cant compare but any 350 specific questions, ask away.
View Quote
I'm going to drive the GT350 this weekend....

How about just some initial thoughts on the car?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm going to drive the GT350 this weekend....

How about just some initial thoughts on the car?
View Quote
I have ~2200miles on the car now. For the first 1k miles I tried to keep the rpms below 5k and no WOT. During this period of time, not gonna lie I was having a bit of buyers remorse. Once I started driving the car hard, I began to enjoy it much much more. This car just doesn't deliver if it isn't revved up and carving. Also there is a big difference between the drive mode selections.

If you live in the city red light to red light, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. The biggest adjustment for me was getting used to always keeping the RPMS up. I'm used to high torque forced induction motors and the 5.2 voodoo simply doesn't come alive until 4k+ rpm. Once i got used to driving around at higher rpms, the fun factor really really increased. If you plan to track the car, you will love it. The braking, suspension, handling is very good.

The exhaust note is pure awesome. It really is.

Couple other thoughts:

Gas tank is small. You will be at the gas station frequently.
Recaro seats.. They are tight, really tight and have no lumbar adjustment.
Brake dust. Yea it's really bad. But the brake performance is very good.
The front spoiler is low. Curbs, speed bumps, driveways, etc all become a pain in the ass.

Obviously I have some complaints about the car but ultimately it is just plain fun to drive. There is some raw visceral feeling that is hard to shake. And the more I get on it, the more I can't keep a shit eating grin off my face.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have ~2200miles on the car now. For the first 1k miles I tried to keep the rpms below 5k and no WOT. During this period of time, not gonna lie I was having a bit of buyers remorse. Once I started driving the car hard, I began to enjoy it much much more. This car just doesn't deliver if it isn't revved up and carving. Also there is a big difference between the drive mode selections.

If you live in the city red light to red light, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. The biggest adjustment for me was getting used to always keeping the RPMS up. I'm used to high torque forced induction motors and the 5.2 voodoo simply doesn't come alive until 4k+ rpm. Once i got used to driving around at higher rpms, the fun factor really really increased. If you plan to track the car, you will love it. The braking, suspension, handling is very good.

Couple other thoughts:

The front spoiler is low. Curbs, speed bumps, driveways, etc all become a pain in the ass.

Obviously I have some complaints about the car but ultimately it is just plain fun to drive. There is some raw visceral feeling that is hard to shake. And the more I get on it, the more I can't keep a shit eating grin off my face.
View Quote
I'm going to drive one tomorrow.....I sat in it already, the side bolsters on the recaros arent the easiest to get in and out of.  Seem like they would lock you in real good on the track though...(obviously).
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Brembos? Dust is the way of life with them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Drove the GT350 today......in all seriousness, I wasn't blown away.  The GT was about 80% of what that Shelby was and the one I drove didn't have the PP1.

Kinda torn here because I was all set to pull the trigger before I drove, afterwards I just wasnt sure it was worth it for what I wanted in the car.

Back to looking for a GT with the PP1....
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I think there is now a performance pack 2 for the GT.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Couple other thoughts:

View Quote
Hell, the Coyote doesn't wake up until you break over 3000 RPM's.  Coworkers were giving me shit about "red lining" when I leave work.  They didn't believe it when I told them I was only hitting 4000 at most.  Of course they are use to driving their Dakotas, Fiats and other 4 bangers.   If I took them for a ride they would shit themselves.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hell, the Coyote doesn't wake up until you break over 3000 RPM's.  Coworkers were giving me shit about "red lining" when I leave work.  They didn't believe it when I told them I was only hitting 4000 at most.  Of course they are use to driving their Dakotas, Fiats and other 4 bangers.   If I took them for a ride they would shit themselves.
View Quote
From my limited experience with Coyote's, having a V8 that wants to live beyond 6 and 7 thousand RPM is something else.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I may be joining the GT350 club here soon.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I may be joining the GT350 club here soon.....
View Quote
Nice! What color / options you going with? Welcome to the fun lol. I love this car more and more each day
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Having a factory name like Shelby is worth a great deal on resale.  A comparison would be a Nighthawk, or Wilson 1911 vs a Springfield Armory.  There is nothing wrong with Springfield armory, but there is much positive name recognition for Nighthawk and Wilson.
View Quote
Except in 5-10 years Shelby will have something new out that will embarrass what they have today.

A lot of people were buying GT-500's when they first came out to rathole away as investments.  Now they are the cheap beater of the Shelby world.

Better resale... you are paying $20k more up front, you won't get $20k more out of it when you sell it.

If you want it get it, it is a joke of an investment though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nice! What color / options you going with? Welcome to the fun lol. I love this car more and more each day
View Quote
Lead foot grey w/white stripes and convenience package. Thanks!  It’s out of state so I’m working on sealing the deal and getting it shipped.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/174335/CFF901C9-4403-465F-A291-79D378CB2582-770844.jpg

Too bad you weren’t looking for red. I’m going to be selling my ‘17 with 3k on the clock.
View Quote
Yea, can't do red....awesome looking car though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Depends on what you want to do with it.

I just bought a '19 GT Premium PP1 with the 401A package. I love this car. I'm not going to race it or be doing any "Track Time". It's a fun street car. It handles like it's on rails, and the 5.0 @ an under rated 460 HP is eager to please. Youtube has videos of these cars stock being dyno'ed at over 450 at the wheels.

So...for me anyway, the extra 20K (or more) for the GT350 for nothing more than bragging rights just wasn't worth it.
Either way, you're getting a nice ride.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lead foot grey w/white stripes and convenience package. Thanks!  It's out of state so I'm working on sealing the deal and getting it shipped.
View Quote
Sounds like the one sitting in a showroom quite close to me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No such thing as a poor man's Porsche because 'there is no substitute'
View Quote
C2 will eat up a GT in the roundabouts. Lose some on the straights,

TC
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/174335/CFF901C9-4403-465F-A291-79D378CB2582-770844.jpg

Too bad you weren’t looking for red. I’m going to be selling my ‘17 with 3k on the clock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking pretty hard at the remaining 2018s.

About a $20k difference between the 2. Is the GT350 worth the extra$$$$?

Quoted:
Lead foot grey w/white stripes and convenience package. Thanks!  It’s out of state so I’m working on sealing the deal and getting it shipped.
Love the red! What are you replacing the GT350 with?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top