Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 1:19:40 PM EDT
Haven't used Gunbroker in over 15 years.  Was thinking about selling my IWI x95 given the prices they are going for on there.

- What are the ways to take payments that are okay?  I see private sellers seem to mostly taking USPS money orders, I don't have a Paypal account.
- How many of those bids are real versus non-paying bidders?
-Any advice selling on there?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Just remember if it sounds too good to be true it is....
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Only taking one form of payment will limit the buyers.  I take checks, money order, zelle, venmo, cash app, credit cards.  Lots of people use a card, and don't mind paying the 3%.  I get a lot of personal checks too.  Usps money order is the worst in my opinion.  Who the hell wants to go to the post office.  Theres an increase in non paying bidders, but I've only had 2, and have sold a lot of stuff in the last 90 days.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
May be a dumb question then, but how as a private seller do you take credit cards?  

Post office is less than a mile from my house, so no problem there.

Just trying to figure safe payment receipt options.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
You can sign up for square.  Very easy, but like all other companies, they are anti gun.  As a buyer, i pass on anyone that only accepts money orders.

Eta:  You could also sign up for gunbroker pay, and take cards that way

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034191493-GunBroker-Pay-with-FreedomCoin-BitRail
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
be sure to take too many pics,

as in a pic of each and every flaw, scratch, wear mark etc,

pluse lots of overall pics,

I typically have at least 20 for every firearm I list,
neutral background,  
well lit, or if possible , take pics in the bright shade outside
be sure the firearm is clean, and dry (not dripping of lube)

you will get low ball offers,  
you will get asked if you have a Buy It Now
you will get asked if you take trades (I have a beat up Iver Johnson revolver from 1908 if you are interested,  and I'll toss in 4 pieces of brass for it that have been stepped on)
you will get crazy questions (is that mark at 6oclock in picture 238 from the lighting, or a piece of lint, is it rust?)
you will get offers to end the auction right now and I'll pay you $$$$, (usually when this happens, I sell the firearm for more than the offer, and the offer was more than I listed for)

you cannot end an auction early once it has a bid,  it will have to run it's course,

be sure to proof read you listing

start it (it only costs 10 cents)  for a Sun or Mon night,  after 10 PM EST

payments,  whatever  you feel comfortable with,
money order,  Cashier Checks, personal Checks (clear before mailing)

also, let the buyers know how you ship (UPS, USPS, etc) and let them know you ship w/in 48 hrs etc,  
if not you will get hounded with emails wanting to know tracking numbers and why there is no movement (we call these folks F5 bandits,, the are usually Amazon shoppers that expect everything to ship 3.6 seconds after it is paid, and want it delivered by drone in a day,,)

only ship to the premise address on the FFL,,  
and be sure to give the FFL a copy of you DL (you can redact the numbers, but they need proof it is you and an address (physical address, not PO box)

some dealers are dicks about receiving from individuals for no reason, but it is their business to do as they please (Saying that as a FFL/sOT)

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can sign up for square.  Very easy, but like all other companies, they are anti gun.  As a buyer, i pass on anyone that only accepts money orders.

Eta:  You could also sign up for gunbroker pay, and take cards that way

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034191493-GunBroker-Pay-with-FreedomCoin-BitRail
View Quote

Square is owned by jack dorsey from twitter..... Fuck square
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve never had a non-paying bidder. The guy who bought 10 pmags for $500 a month after sandy hook paid, as did the guy who paid $7300 for my old rare AK. I expected them both to flake, but I was wrong. No flakes with my smaller auctions either.

For something expensive I only take a certified check. I also make it clear in the auction that I’m not shipping anything for 10 business days after I receive and deposit the check.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Only taking one form of payment will limit the buyers.  I take checks, money order, zelle, venmo, cash app, credit cards.  Lots of people use a card, and don't mind paying the 3%.  I get a lot of personal checks too.  Usps money order is the worst in my opinion.  Who the hell wants to go to the post office.  Theres an increase in non paying bidders, but I've only had 2, and have sold a lot of stuff in the last 90 days.
View Quote

You can deposit a USPS money order at your bank.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
As a private seller I just use zelle or USPS money order. Haven't been scammed yet.

Sometimes I do paypal if they ask and their feedback looks good.

Also at a time like this using inconvenient money orders are no obstacle to most panic buyers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Haven't used Gunbroker in over 15 years.  Was thinking about selling my IWI x95 given the prices they are going for on there.

- What are the ways to take payments that are okay?  I see private sellers seem to mostly taking USPS money orders, I don't have a Paypal account.
- How many of those bids are real versus non-paying bidders?
-Any advice selling on there?

Thanks!
View Quote

I've taken PayPal, USPS money order, cash and checks. Gunbroker has a new Gunpal payment that I will probably sign up for as well. The more payment options you give the more buyers you will attract. Start it super low like $1 or $100 and feature your listing. You will suck in a bunch of buyers and they will bid it to the moon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
As a buyer, if I see USPS money order only I don’t even bother and just move on.  It’s inconvenient and they also have dollar limits. If you’re buying an expensive item, then you have to buy multiple money orders. Fuck that, not worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
In today's market, whatever extra you might make by auctioning it off (as opposed to selling it in the ee), would probably be offset by their fees.  Generally speaking I'd rather sell to a team member here than an auction site.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well said.  I have mostly been doing discrete Paypal with very specific payment instructions but had my first nonpaying bidder this week because he was to stupid to read my instructions and got locked out of Paypal.  I offer USPS money order as alternative because of the ones who do not have Paypal or other online payment options.  Yes, they are PITA.  My bank will not accept them so I have to go to the post office to cash.  Well if it is a large amount money order you better hope you go to the post office at right time of day as they may not have enough cash in their drawer to cash.  I am looking for a credit card alternative myself to offer as it seems like the sellers on Gunbroker who offer CC option sell quick and higher bids.  Lots of good info in this thread OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Been thinking of selling a few things on GB too but don't know if I want to mess around with it. These guns are common guns but are bringing higher bids than I could ever get anywhere else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're selling very much you need a credit card processor linked with Gunbroker.

I don't use Gunbroker pay. It forces your auctions to accept CC with no fee, but there's no way for anyone to pay by CC.  Perhaps they fixed it, but I cut that off after a few auctions.

You can accept CC through square, but the fees are high and once they figure out it's guns and ammo you will lose your account.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

be sure to proof read you listing

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better yet I can go cash that USPS money order at the post office and know that it isn't bogus!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I have sold alot of ammo recently on GB.   Everyone has paid.

What i hate are the dipshits that can't read that I'm not shipping to certain areas.

I'm thinking next time I'm going to let them pay...and just keep their $$$ and tell them they have 5 days to pick it up.

GB customer service sux ass too...so GL on trying to get your fees refunded.

One thing I'm thinking about doing is taking "Gunbroker Pay" only...what i'm wondering is if i select it only does that mean they can't buy it unless it is actually paid for ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top