Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2023 9:39:08 AM EDT
I just won a 6309-7040 Turtle on an auction. The number on the case back indicates that it was produced in or around 1981.

Seller claims it’s original. I read a few articles online and compared the watches in the article to the one I won and each seem to confirm authenticity.

The only exception I’m seeing is the Pepsi Bezel insert is most likely aftermarket?

I paid 183.00 shipped and according to the seller it keeps good time. Can anyone provide any insight as to originality vs mod based on the pics below?

I’m newer to watch collecting and enjoy learning new things about these watches. If all looks good I would most likely send in for servicing as opposed to putting a new movement in when it eventually needs work. Either way I look forward to wearing something older than I am lol. Thanks!

05/08/2023 Update

I just received the watch today. It is definitely a mod, but I really like it. I was thinking about switching out the band at first, but this one fits nice. Thanks to all who posted advice. It was much appreciated!

https://imgur.com/a/4LmHqix

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just won a 6309-7040 Turtle on an auction. The number on the case back indicates that it was produced in or around 1981.

Seller claims it's original. I read a few articles online and compared the watches in the article to the one I won and each seem to confirm authenticity.

The only exception I'm seeing is the Pepsi Bezel insert is most likely aftermarket?

I paid 183.00 shipped and according to the seller it keeps good time. Can anyone provide any insight as to originality vs mod based on the pics below?

I'm newer to watch collecting and enjoy learning new things about these watches. If all looks good I would most likely send in for servicing as opposed to putting a new movement in when it eventually needs work. Either way I look forward to wearing something older than I am lol. Thanks!

https://i.postimg.cc/JHDb9QPB/58-F4-B0-CE-EDCD-43-BE-AEFD-F55-CA3190-A9-E.png

https://i.postimg.cc/HV1cYHLN/945-CFD74-7-BC1-4-CD6-877-B-6-E2-B2-E5167-F1.pngI
View Quote
I don't think the bezel is aftermarket. That watch line did have a model with the Pepsi bezel. It's likely true that the entire watch is stock. It's a nice looking piece.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The SN is a little late for a Suwa dialed 6309.

The pic quality is horrible to give a firm opinion.

But the dial and bezel insert appear aftermarket.

Did the poster above me sell it to you?

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SN is a little late for a Suwa dialed 6309.

The pic quality is horrible to give a firm opinion.

But the dial and bezel insert appear aftermarket.

Did the poster above me sell it to you?

View Quote

I see what you’re saying now after additional research. The pics are from eBay. The s/n suggests a July 1981 manufacture date on the case back. If I’m understanding the dates correctly, 1980 would be the last year for the Suwa dial?

I’ll post better pics once it gets here.

Full disclosure, I misspoke, the ad said “vintage” not original, which is why I wanted to make sure before I would ever consider changing the movement, etc as opposed to having it serviced.

Would you say it’s just a flat out mod or something that may have been repaired and replaced with other OEM parts back then?

ETA: I found other sites now that suggest Suwa were on dials into Nov of 1981. I actually found an article on a website below where they dismantled a July 1981 Seiko that looks similar to the one I won.

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.com/2013/11/27/a-seiko-6309-7040/

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the seller from the Philippines? There are a lot of Ebay Seikos for sale from there. They assemble them from parts and sell them to ignorant buyers (no offense, lots of people don't know). I bought one thinking I got a screaming deal, turns out it wasn't original and had aftermarket parts on it. Most of them have Seiko movements, but most don't have authentic dials, hands, crystals, or bezels. They're mostly thrown together to make the exterior look nice. Often times, the movements won't last as long as a factory built Seiko due to contamination, they usually aren't regulated very well, and they often get moisture in the case. Even though they may be using Seiko parts, their assembly is shoddy at best.

Think about the saying if it's too good to be true, it probably is...

Your new watch is almost guaranteed to not be original knowing what price you paid, where you got it, and the photos. Some people don't care about having an original watch and more power to them. Don't let this discourage you from learning about watches though! It's a super fun hobby. Wear the Seiko and enjoy it! Do lots of research on the next purchase and ask questions! That's how you learn

My Ebay Seiko w/ wrong bezel:
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the seller from the Philippines? There are a lot of Ebay Seikos for sale from there. They assemble them from parts and sell them to ignorant buyers (no offense, lots of people don't know). I bought one thinking I got a screaming deal, turns out it wasn't original and had aftermarket parts on it. Most of them have Seiko movements, but most don't have authentic dials, hands, crystals, or bezels. They're mostly thrown together to make the exterior look nice. Often times, the movements won't last as long as a factory built Seiko due to contamination, they usually aren't regulated very well, and they often get moisture in the case. Even though they may be using Seiko parts, their assembly is shoddy at best.

Think about the saying if it's too good to be true, it probably is...

Your new watch is almost guaranteed to not be original knowing what price you paid, where you got it, and the photos. Some people don't care about having an original watch and more power to them. Don't let this discourage you from learning about watches though! It's a super fun hobby. Wear the Seiko and enjoy it! Do lots of research on the next purchase and ask questions! That's how you learn

My Ebay Seiko w/ wrong bezel:
https://i.imgur.com/zW65QpM.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking watch!

The seller is from Canada, but it looks like they are a reseller of a few other  “vintage watches”. Thanks for the advice and I appreciate all the insight on this forum.

I bid on a few different mods the past week until I got to this one. I do intend to wear it in my daily rotation and just didn’t want to beat it too bad in the event it was ACTUALLY an original

As you stated, the price is way too good to be true based on what I’ve seen so I’ll just enjoy it while it lasts. I appreciate all the responses! I’ll put more pics up later when I get it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

so I’ll just enjoy it while it lasts. I appreciate all the responses! I’ll put more pics up later when I get it.

View Quote

That's the key! Enjoy it man. We love seeing photos, especially of Turtles!
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As you stated, the price is way too good to be true based on what I’ve seen so I’ll just enjoy it while it lasts. I appreciate all the responses! I’ll put more pics up later when I get it.

View Quote

Agreed - its a nice looking watch and only a sharp eyed watch hobbyist (who is familiar with turtles to boot ) would be able to tell its not 100% factory.    

For me and for many others, the Turtle design is comfortable to wear and i wear my Turtle clone (a steeldive) a lot for that reason
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Update in the OP with a pic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top