Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2019 2:19:44 PM EDT
I have a french door opening up to the back porch. Only one door opens, as the other is fixed in place.

I am looking for extra security measures to lock up the back door while gone for the day, while not damaging or drilling holes in the metal door.

Are there any devices like security cables that lock around the two door knobs, etc. that aren't a pain in the ass to deal with when you want to unlock/remove it?

Thanks in advance, GD!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
3m glass film
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
just put a bar across them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just put a bar across them.
View Quote
No good if glass.  You need a security screen door or you have a weak point.  Same with your windows.

There is security.  There is false sense of security.  Choose wisely.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No good if glass.  You need a security screen door or you have a weak point.  Same with your windows.

There is security.  There is false sense of security.  Choose wisely.
View Quote
OP never mentioned glass... so...
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Easiest way would be add some surface bolts to the door at the top and bottom.

Top one slides into the catch at the header of the frame, the bottom one typically slides down into the floor, but you will need to mount them to the door and drill a few holes in the header and 1 in the floor.

Top Bolt

Bottom Bolt

Are your french doors like most and have lots of glass in them? If so the glass is your weak point. As mentioned above, a good security film applied to the windows or a security screen door on the outside are your best options without adding more hardware to your existing doors.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
ost
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it's one of those doors with about 16 small panes of glass separated by trim.

I'll definitely be looking into security film, since somebody could easily smash one of the little window panes and reach inside to unlock the door.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Easiest way would be add some surface bolts to the door at the top and bottom.

Top one slides into the catch at the header of the frame, the bottom one typically slides down into the floor, but you will need to mount them to the door and drill a few holes in the header and 1 in the floor.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/f8/d9/27/f8d9270d9a1628d36989346b10b97da0--dutch-doors-french-doors.jpg

Top Bolt
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56798bb90ab377f38f771d71/t/569b371295a8cde7074268dc/1453012754666/1000w/

Bottom Bolt
https://signaturehardware.com.imgeng.in/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/680x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/10790_l.jpg

Are your french doors like most and have lots of glass in them? If so the glass is your weak point. As mentioned above, a good security film applied to the windows or a security screen door on the outside are your best options without adding more hardware to your existing doors.
View Quote
^ That's exactly what I did.

But if someone wants to break in badly enough, they'll just break in.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, it's one of those doors with about 16 small panes of glass separated by trim.

I'll definitely be looking into security film, since somebody could easily smash one of the little window panes and reach inside to unlock the door.
View Quote
Replace the dead bolt with one that takes a key on both sides. Leave a key out of eye sight and arm reach. No smash and unlocking then.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Replace the dead bolt with one that takes a key on both sides. Leave a key out of eye sight and arm reach. No smash and unlocking then.
View Quote
Not up to code.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
you wouldn't need to unlock the door, simply kick in the glass and mullions, and enter the home. storm-proof (filmed) glass doesn't help you, if i can kick the center of a 4-way mullion joint, and remove the entire glass-paned section at one time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
You need a double-keyed deadbolt . . . a lock that can only be locked/unlocked with a key from both the outside and the inside.

They're a pain in the ass to live with, but the only real way of securing a door with any glass in it.

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
^ That's exactly what I did.

But if someone wants to break in badly enough, they'll just break in.  
View Quote
The exterior walls of many modern frame houses are hardly a barrier.

With a pry bar and a few minutes you can go right though the flimsy exterior wall.
Top Top