Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2020 5:43:52 AM EDT
My buddy is getting married next year and I wanted to get him a box of Cubans as a gift apart from my gift to him and his bride. I have some ideas, but I’d like to see if there’s a Cuban equivalent to his favorite cigar, which is the Drew Estate Liga Privada No9. I’m his best man, so I’m willing to pay a decent amount for the right stick. I’d like to get a box of whatever is closest, if possible. He and I have talked about getting some Cubans for years since we tot into cigars, so it’d mean something special to him even if Cubans aren’t anything super special. I appreciate all suggestions!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
You know that the Trump administration changed the rules back and Cuban cigars are contraband again?

Even from third-party countries.

And unless you buy them from a Casa de Habanos ( state tobacco company store) or a Habanos SA authorized reseller, they're 99.9% liable to be fakes.  Unless you have a trusted grey-market source.

Mail order is possible, but expensive and Customs will seize them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know that the Trump administration changed the rules back and Cuban cigars are contraband again?

Even from third-party countries.

And unless you buy them from a Casa de Habanos ( state tobacco company store) or a Habanos SA authorized reseller, they're 99.9% liable to be fakes.  Unless you have a trusted grey-market source.

Mail order is possible, but expensive and Customs will seize them.
View Quote

I've had half a dozen boxes delivered within the last few months....
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The rules changed (back) on September 24, 2020.  Of course there are online retailers (overseas) who will ship them to the US, just as there are online retailers that will ship other non-importable items into the US.  There is, of course, no guarantee of authenticity with many of them.

President Trump Tightens Sanctions on CubaNo Cigars, No Rum and No Hotel Lodging for Americans

New restrictions, which go into effect tomorrow, also ban travelers from returning to the U.S. with Cuban cigars from third-party countries such as the U.K., France and Canada
Sep 23, 2020 | By Peter Kornbluh
President Trump Tightens Sanctions on CubaNo Cigars, No Rum and No Hotel Lodging for AmericansPhoto/Gregory Mottola
Americans will no longer be allowed to come back home with Cuban cigars, Cuban rum, or to stay in Cuban hotels, President Trump announced in a White House speech today. New U.S. sanctions leveled against Cuba have removed the permission for Americans traveling abroad to return with Cuba's most famous exports, and also ban future U.S. travelers from staying at any government-owned hotels on the islanda restriction that essentially forces all future U.S. visitors to stay in Airbnb-style lodgings in private homes, since the Cuban state holds full or majority ownership in all Cuban hotels.

The new laws take effect tomorrow, September 24.

The regulations issued today by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) stated that OFAC was amending authorizations, issued during the Obama administration, "to exclude the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin alcohol and tobacco products" that had previously been allowed into the country in "accompanied baggage" for personal use.

As part of the Obama administration's policy of "positive engagement" with Cuba, restrictions on buying Cuban cigars were eased considerably. Under Obama-era policies, Americans could bring back up to 100 cigars (or four boxes) duty-free, no questions asked, from almost any country in the world, as long as they were for "personal use" and not commercial re-sale. Travelers with more than 100 cigars were subject to taxation, and excessively large amounts were deemed to be "commercial quantities," although the exact number that constituted a commercial quantity was never explicitly defined by OFAC.

Cohibas
One of the most prestigious Cuban cigar brands, Cohiba, will again be off limits to Americans.
The new regulations not only prohibit the importation of cigars and rum for Americans who travel to Cuba, but prohibit their importation into the United States after being purchased from Cuba or any other country that maintains free trade with Cuba, such as Canada, the United Kingdom and Mexico. (The purchase of Cuban cigars and rum via mail-order or the Internet by Americans has long been banned, and remains illegal.) - emphasis added.

As part of the new package of sanctions, the State Department also announced the creation of a "Cuba Prohibited Accommodations List" that will contain the names and addresses of Cuban hotel properties where U.S. citizens can no longer legally book a room. The new regulations state that "no person subject to U.S. jurisdiction may lodge, pay for lodging, or otherwise make any reservation for or on behalf of a third party to lodge, at any property in Cuba that the Secretary of State has identified as a property that is owned or controlled by the Cuban government, [or] a prohibited official of the Government of Cuba," or close relatives of such prohibited officials.

Since the Cuban state holds at least a majority stake in all hotels on the island, today's regulations effectively render them off-limits to U.S. travelers. State Department officials said today they had already identified 422 hotels and lodging properties for their list of prohibited accommodations.

The new sanctions will also eliminate a category of travel which has allowed U.S. citizens to go to the island for professional meetings and conferences, as well as the general authorization of travel to attend public performances, workshops, clinics, exhibitions and events. The new restrictions will curtail U.S. citizens from attending annual gatherings such as the popular Havana Jazz Festival or the famed Habanos Festival, described as "the most prestigious event in the world dedicated to premium cigars." Future travel to the island for the purpose of attending meetings or events will now require an OFAC license.

Travel providers to Cuba were quick to denounce the Trump administration's new restrictions. "The Cuban people are facing a tough economic situation due to a drop in tourism as a result of Trump Administration policies and the Covid-19 pandemic," stated Collin Laverty, who runs Cuba Educational Travel. "There are still a number of ways for Americans to travel to Cuba legally, but these prohibitions will create more confusion and complications, resulting in less travel and more hardship for Cuban families."

The new regulations are scheduled to be published in the Federal Register tomorrow, making them law. At present, international travel to the island is severely restricted and the Cuban tourism industry remains mostly shut down due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Clarification
The original version of this story reported that purchasing Cuban cigars and rum had been banned. The letter of the new law specifically speaks to a prohibition on their importation back into the United States, and the story has been updated to make that clarification.

So, yes, you can do a simple web search for overseas online retailers - and some are legit Casa de Habanos / Habanos SA licensees - but it's illegal.  And way more expensive.  I used to buy habanos at a great shop in San Jose CR (Havana Humidor Room - I know the owner Bruce) and prices were half or less what the UK and European online stores want (tobacco is highly taxed in the UK and EU).  

And to get an equivalent cigar?  Other than actually burning the sticks and comparing them you are working off recommendations.

I like a Partagas D4.  Sadly, I'll probably never see another.  On the other hand, most Nicaraguan puros beat the wrapper off all but the highest high-end habano and those are pricey and hard-to-get even in actual Casa de Habanos.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I am aware of the sanctions, but that doesn’t stop a great number of folks from getting Cubans to the US. As with buying him any Cubans, it’d be a shot in the dark since I wouldn’t know how they taste beforehand. If anyone would happen to know of a similar flavor profile Cuban, awesome. If not, all is well, I’ll probably get him a box of Cohiba Siglo III’s or Upmann Magnum 54’s.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am aware of the sanctions, but that doesn't stop a great number of folks from getting Cubans to the US. As with buying him any Cubans, it'd be a shot in the dark since I wouldn't know how they taste beforehand. If anyone would happen to know of a similar flavor profile Cuban, awesome. If not, all is well, I'll probably get him a box of Cohiba Siglo III's or Upmann Magnum 54's.
View Quote
Make sure you buy from an actual Casa de Habanos (maybe a store called "Cigars of 'Banned Place' " in a neutral European country that sort-of likes guns?).  Otherwise, as I said above, its extremely likely that you will be buying counterfeits and paying usurious rates for crap.  Of course, the COC forbids us from discussing or referring to or remarking on doing illegal shit.

Cigar Aficionado has several great videos on how to tell a counterfeit from a real habano - the problem is that that's after, not before, you have them in hand.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cohiba Siglo III's or Upmann Magnum 54's.
View Quote
Cuban Cohiba's are over-priced.  QC is for shit.  I am always disappointed when I paid around $30 for a stick and it won't draw.  And Cohibas do that.

I like Padron Family Reserve 1964 45's (52x6).  The Partagas D4 has a 'similar' profile.  The H. Upmann Magnum 54 is a bit different.  Smoother if that makes sense.  Habanos says it is woody and I'd agree - but no pepper notes.  More milk chocolate than dark chocolate.

I smoked Partagas D4s and H. Upmann Magnum 54s in Costa Rica because Padrons cost twice as much there.  I would rather have smoked Padrons.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Tatuaje
La Gloria
La Aurora 107
La Flor Dominicana Double ligero

In that order.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had a few Tatuaje, which ones do you guys like?

They'd probably be the closest
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
There aren't any that I would consider all that similar to a D.E. Liga.  If you just want something fancy as a special occasion cigar, the Cohiba and Upmann you mentioned will be very good, but different.  However if you're trying to stick to something he likes, you could check out the Liga Privada Unico series.  They will be similar in profile to the regular Liga 9, but they're produced in limited quantities and are a little more exclusive.  If you do your research, you'll figure out the popular online sellers for what you're looking for.  I've ordered in the past with no issues, but the last time was a couple years ago, I'm not sure if anything has changed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I am Liga Privada #9 fan and I do not know of any Cuban that would be similar.

I would recommend a Montecristo Edmundo or #2 as Montes seem to run with cocoa/chocolate undertones which one can find in a #9. Also, too Montes have some spice going on, not as much as the #9 though I think #2 more so than the Edmundo.

Failing that an Partagas E2 or D4. Even an H Upmann Mag 56. You cannot go wrong with them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]
my buddy likes bananas so i want to get him a potato.  which potato is the banana equivalent??
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is no cuban equivalent to Liga. If he likes Liga, get him Liga
View Quote

I’m wanting to get him a box of Cubans to mark the special occasion. Liga is just to give a ballpark idea of what to look for.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm wanting to get him a box of Cubans to mark the special occasion. Liga is just to give a ballpark idea of what to look for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no cuban equivalent to Liga. If he likes Liga, get him Liga

I'm wanting to get him a box of Cubans to mark the special occasion. Liga is just to give a ballpark idea of what to look for.
Montecristo No. 2 or Petit No. 2 would be my suggestions.

Cohiba Robutos or Siglo VI if you really wanna spend some money.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Ramon Allones Superiores (RAS)
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Monte #2 is in no way like a Liga in my opinion.  Liga is spicy and full bodied.  Monte's are medium and sort of vanilla-y

If you must have cubans, maybe a Bolivar Belicoso Fino.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Montecristo No. 2 or Petit No. 2 would be my suggestions.

Cohiba Robutos or Siglo VI if you really wanna spend some money.

Monte #2 is in no way like a Liga in my opinion.  Liga is spicy and full bodied.  Monte's are medium and sort of vanilla-y

If you must have cubans, maybe a Bolivar Belicoso Fino.
This is true but is anything from ISOM really like a Liga?

Never had a Belicoso Fino, only RCs.  I smoked a petite No.2 yesterday and it was excellent.  So recency bias played a part.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've never had any Cuban resemble anything like a Liga.  But, OP is hellbent on buying a box of CUBANS! CUBANS! CUBANS!

I don't understand it.  I mean get the guy what he likes.
View Quote

For the third time, I want to get him a box of Cubans to mark the special occasion. He can get a box of Ligas any time he wants just by going down the road to the cigar shop. He can't do the same with a box of similar Cubans. They don't have to be an exact clone of a Liga. Just something in the same ballpark. So calm down and let's get back on track.
As for those who have made suggestions, I appreciate it. I will look into them and see what sounds best.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For the third time, I want to get him a box of Cubans to mark the special occasion. He can get a box of Ligas any time he wants just by going down the road to the cigar shop. He can't do the same with a box of similar Cubans. They don't have to be an exact clone of a Liga. Just something in the same ballpark. So calm down and let's get back on track.
As for those who have made suggestions, I appreciate it. I will look into them and see what sounds best.
View Quote

Get him a box of RAS. If he likes Liga he will enjoy RAS.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally if he likes no 9s I would get him those or similar. Can do something like Sin Compromiso or Tabernacles which I think both surpass the no 9. If you insist on Cuban the closest would be like a Cohiba maduro 5. Also there are sources that are legit if you must go that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top