Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/1/2021 10:27:57 PM EDT
army world, does this happen and if so are they strapped in? Didn't look like it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a cargo strap setup to act like a loose ass lap belt.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
army world, does this happen and if so are they strapped in? Didn't look like it.
View Quote

If not strapped i would not like to do that but im also a super pussy with hights so theres that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It amazes me some people make it adulthood.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Never did it in a combat zone but did do it a few times with a parachute strapped to my back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have ridden in a huey many times, and was not strapped in. Was holding onto the door hard though
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m a retired Air Force helicopter flight engineer.  Most likely they are using a seat belt that’s attached to the floor or they’re wearing a gunners belt.  Everyone is secured all the time until departure.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Monkey strap attached to riggers belt.  Common practice.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
We call it a monkey tail.  It connects to your riggers belt, where the opposite end connects to an attachment point in the floor board of the aircraft.  When the end of the tail isn't in use, you just connect it to your gun belt.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]
In that episode I saw at least one guy hook onto something to his right.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have ridden in a huey many times, and was not strapped in. Was holding onto the door hard though
View Quote

I flew in 47s a couple of times, sat by the door, no one said anything about seat belts...
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a very thin leather strap with quick release buckle. They used to love banking on my side..... I hated that shit. In the Huey though. Im not Hollywood enough for the SEALs
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Lanyards/monkey tail

https://www.quora.com/How-do-soldiers-not-fall-off-the-sides-of-helicopters-when-they-simply-just-sit-hanging-on-the-ledge-on-the-sides-of-the-helicopter-especially-when-the-helicopter-is-tilting-while-turning

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Did they use anything like that in Vietnam?  I've seen some much footage from then where they just jumped on and were gone.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks...asked then answered.....
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Like the SAS?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It amazes me some people make it adulthood.
View Quote

The fact that he doesn’t know everything is appalling to me too
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#17]
you mean this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
F B Rodent Clinton.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did they use anything like that in Vietnam?  I've seen some much footage from then where they just jumped on and were gone.
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#20]

The hearing damage would have to be biblical.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]
It depends short ride no not strapped in longer rides yes. We usually took of the strap as we got close to the LZ.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Generally speaking, you don't fall out of a helicopter unassisted, hence the Vietnam question, they didn't strap in to the best of my knowledge.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#24]
An old friend and coworker of mine was an M60 gunner on Chinooks in Vietnam.  One day we were getting set up to do a SAR mission on Longs Peak in CO.  The ship was a contracted oil and gas Alouette (sp?) but we were gov so there were tons of hoops and regulations and safety briefs.  The gov helicopter manager at the helibase was getting on Wayne because his boots weren’t 8 inches tall and Wayne goes “motherfucker, I did this shit in Vietnam, kept in the ship by a leather belt looped to my leather belt and I shot people with a machine gun attached by nothing but a bungee cord, leave me alone”.  I love that dude.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My first thought as well. Would still try but would double up for sure
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Always fun to drape a spare tail over your buddy’s shoulder right before the maneuvering gets spicy. Extra case of beer to the crew and pilots for the additional flight fun makes popping the cherry so much fun!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#28]
We buzzed around New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit.  Only way to get around until the water went down..m

We also hunt hogs from Little Birds when time permits.

When the Covid scare is over get down to Tampa for the SOFIC convention.  A good show is always put on in the bay.

Special Operations Forces Demonstration In Downtown Tampa

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm kinda disappointed they aren't called "Dummy cords"
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

never flown on the wing, but spent MANY hours under the rotor disk of a 64 sitting on that same spot. Hell there is a photo of my sleeping sitting on the #2 side infront of the engine...

That said, it is not that bad
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Wonder how rifles have gotten dropped out the doors
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I’m a retired Air Force helicopter flight engineer.  Most likely they are using a seat belt that’s attached to the floor or they’re wearing a gunners belt.  Everyone is secured all the time until departure.
View Quote

Yeah, whenever I flew on our MH-53Js, if you weren't in the PLT/CO/FE seats, you were wearing a gunners belt. Even the teams that we transported had their own securement belts of various types.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#33]

That is so incredibly fucking cool.  That has to be loud as shit and I didn't know they even had provisions for personnel outside on an AH64. (Maybe they don't which makes it even more cool)
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
you mean this?

Attachment Attached File
View All Quotes
Quoted:
you mean this?

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:

Yeah but you would have photographic proof that you're so bad ass that they strapped you to the outside of an Apache for additional firepower.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#35]

I’ve got a photo like that from a UH-1 somewhere.

But I was wearing a seatbelt. Sucked though; with Alice on your back, your ass barely caught the bar at the front of the seat.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice socks and shoes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Monkey strap attached to riggers belt.  Common practice.  

View Quote

This.  Especially in Oklahoma,where it's hot as hell in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We buzzed around New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit.  Only way to get around until the water went down..m

We also hunt hogs from Little Birds when time permits.

When the Covid scare is over get down to Tampa for the SOFIC convention.  A good show is always put on in the bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmUay7NsMJU
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

Story for the picture:

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/marines-apache-helicopters/

“As I passed ahead of one Apache,” an unnamed pilot wrote, “I glanced high left to see a man, leaning over the stubby helicopter wing, unloading his rifle on the enemy. We matched with 30-millimeter and rockets.”

That’s right, the Marines were firing their rifles while strapped to the helicopters.

ETA - the pilot wrote a book that has the story

https://smile.amazon.com/Apache-Inside-Cockpit-Fighting-Machine/dp/0802144780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445021515&sr=8-1&keywords=Apache+Ed+Macy
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If not strapped i would not like to do that but im also a super pussy with hights so theres that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not so bad.  When the helicopter banks for a turn, the centrifugal force pretty much pins your ass to the floor.  It's a little freaky the first time... sitting on the floor and looking straight out and seeing the ground..lol At the same time there is zero sensation that you are falling out and you don't feel any need to brace yourself or hold on to something.  It's a fun ride though.  I'm terrified of heights, but aircraft tend to be so high up that it never feels real.  Getting on the roof of my little house scared me more than this ever did.

(I only did it when I was also rigged with a parachute, so there's that haha)
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Beats dying every day of the week.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#42]

See that down there? That's a shithole.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#43]
As crew chief of a UH-1E, I had a dedicated web belt with strap that could be hooked to the built in tie down points on the cargo deck. It has an adjustment for length. One beautiful day flying over the Pacific with the doors open, I became bored. After letting some strap out, I stepped out onto a skid and went for a walk at 5000ft. Shuffled up next to the co-pilot window and waved. I'll never forget his reaction. Anyway, the walk was a rush.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We call it a monkey tail.  It connects to your riggers belt, where the opposite end connects to an attachment point in the floor board of the aircraft.  When the end of the tail isn't in use, you just connect it to your gun belt.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327690/20210601_223531_jpg-1963776.JPG
View Quote

Exactly this.  AKA "personal retention lanyard".  Mine's a Blackhawk with 2 of those exact same locking carabiners tightened hard. Lol.  No quick release shackle for me as I wasn't jumping out.  Just assisting a fwd TCCET - Tactical Critical Care Evacuation Team ...back when those existed.  And wrapped around the weak side when at a fob chow hall for style points.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
yes you have a strap that goes across the whole door at about armpit level, and a personnel retention lanyard that clips from your belt into the floor.

Not sure what Navy requires but I’m sure it’s similar

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That is so incredibly fucking cool.  That has to be loud as shit and I didn't know they even had provisions for personnel outside on an AH64. (Maybe they don't which makes it even more cool)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's very cool. I think they wanted that feature in the Cobra's replacement as there were times Cobras were the only helicopters available and couldn't rescue downed aircrew.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My thought.

A pair of foam ear plugs or custom ones even. Then a set of really good muffs, I am thinking tinnitus would be a life long issue real quick, or even deafness.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:37:55 AM EDT
[#50]
I bet it would really suck to forget to unclip your lanyard before jumping out, under any circumstances (assuming there is some slack to accommodate that).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top