Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 3:18:57 PM EDT
We have a "timber framed" screened porch and I'm replacing the screen. Using pet screen for the bottom 3' and aluminum for the rest.

Porch consists of 4x4 PT posts every 30" approx. Screen is nailed to posts with roofing nails and 1x4 PT cap placed over top to cover nails. As of right now the screens rip out easily. Is there a better way to secure them behind the 1x4 caps? My thought was to get some type of thing plastic/metal strip to wrap the screen around then nail through the screen & strip so the mesh doesn't just rip out at the ends. Is there a better way than that?

FWIW, I'm replacing the 1x4 PT caps with rough-sawn red cedar cut on my property and milled at a friend's house...

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had good luck in the past with staples to retain the screen. My current porch has cut-to-fit frames and it's soooooo much easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
That would work.  I'd use staples instead of nails personally.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
lowes and HD sell the plastic tracks and covers for this.  

I think they are called screen tight systems.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Like the last poster said, spend a little extra and buy the Screen tight tracks, spline and caps.  It stretches the screen nice and taught and makes it easy to replace individual sections if you ever have to do so.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like the last poster said, spend a little extra and buy the Screen tight tracks, spline and caps.  It stretches the screen nice and taught and makes it easy to replace individual sections if you ever have to do so.

View Quote

I was really looking forward to the look of the red cedar caps... but I think you've convinced me. Being able to individually replace a damaged screen is a big plus... just going to have to spend 3 times as much as I planned... the porch is 16 x 16, screened on 3 sides plus the gable end... I did a rough count on how many tracks/caps I'll need, going to cost about $700 in addition to the $380 in screen...

Thank goodness for that economic impact check that came yesterday!

Now, what do I do with a bunch of red cedar?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was really looking forward to the look of the red cedar caps... but I think you've convinced me. Being able to individually replace a damaged screen is a big plus... just going to have to spend 3 times as much as I planned... the porch is 16 x 16, screened on 3 sides plus the gable end... I did a rough count on how many tracks/caps I'll need, going to cost about $700 in addition to the $380 in screen...

Thank goodness for that economic impact check that came yesterday!

Now, what do I do with a bunch of red cedar?
View Quote

Garden trellis?  

Yes the price is a bit higher but it looks good and is very secure. I don't think you will be disappointed.  I did mine about 10 years ago now and have only replaced one panel (cat incident).  The rest are as tight as the day they were installed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
+100, that stuff is great, re-screened my whole porch with the pet screen and it worked well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've used both Screentight and Screeneze and the Screeneze is a far superior product.

If you don't want to spend the money for those systems, you can build a frame system yourself out of wood. You can put a groove that will allow you to use spline which is the next best way to hold the screen in place. Even if you don't use the spline, you can still use staples and screen cap, but it makes it easier to change out damaged panels.
View Quote

Screeneze definitely looks superior but the price!

And if I'm understanding right I would need to individually frame in every opening right? With about 45 openings I'll need about double the linear feet, so 6X the cost of the Screentight or similar spline systems...I wonder about bulk order prices...
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Screeneze definitely looks superior but the price!

And if I'm understanding right I would need to individually frame in every opening right? With about 45 openings I'll need about double the linear feet, so 6X the cost of the Screentight or similar spline systems...I wonder about bulk order prices...
View Quote

I don't know about the Screeneze but there are two spine tracks on the Screen tight so you don't need to double up on adjacent openings with it.  It may be an inferior product but I have been happy with it if the sticker shock is just too much for the other.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know about the Screeneze but there are two spine tracks on the Screen tight so you don't need to double up on adjacent openings with it.  It may be an inferior product but I have been happy with it if the sticker shock is just too much for the other.
View Quote

Screeneze is a spline-free track that goes around the outside of each opening. You just hold the screen snap a cover on, pull taught and snap cover on other side of the opening. The frame is the spline...

Additionally, the screeneze track is extruded AL vs plastic of screen tight.

I don't mind rolling spline... the screeneze just isn't in my budget unless it is FAR, FAR cheaper buying in bulk.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Fpni again.

Ps on a 45 angle they arent in the same acreen row and give more support.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can span more than one opening with a full piece. We normally do 8'x8' - 8'x10' sections.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You can span more than one opening with a full piece. We normally do 8'x8' - 8'x10' sections.

I understand that but I just can't help think that would look awkward with screen bridges over some posts but not all. If it was small enough to do each side in 1 piece it may look ok but due to post & door locations I think it would just look odd.
Quoted:If all of your openings are really 30", I would bet not all are bearing weight. You should be able to remove some to open things up.

Quite possibly but same issue with door locations and opening count making for an odd look if some are removed.

Additionally, now that I think about it, I think they are about 40" OC bc we just installed new 36" screen doors and all spacings are roughly equal.

Quoted:

Ps on a 45 angle they arent in the same acreen row and give more support.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying slanting the screen at 45 degrees makes it stronger? Wouldn't that mean there would be a lot of waste?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I understand that but I just can't help think that would look awkward with screen bridges over some posts but not all. If it was small enough to do each side in 1 piece it may look ok but due to post & door locations I think it would just look odd.

Quite possibly but same issue with door locations and opening count making for an odd look if some are removed.

Additionally, now that I think about it, I think they are about 40" OC bc we just installed new 36" screen doors and all spacings are roughly equal.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying slanting the screen at 45 degrees makes it stronger? Wouldn't that mean there would be a lot of waste?
View Quote

No staples 45 degrees to screen.  Each staple end will be a couple of rows apart reducing stress on the screen.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No staples 45 degrees to screen.  Each staple end will be a couple of rows apart reducing stress on the screen.
View Quote

Oh! Yeah, definitely makes sense.

I think I'm going to go with a Screentight type system with the splines. Adfors makes a similar product available at my local Menards (no HD near me and I despise Blowes). Screeneze, while seemingly a better product is just going to be really pricey to make it look right. The splines of Screentight don't seem too bad.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the screentight system. Just take your time when putting the splines on.
View Quote

Thanks! I think I will too! I'm hopeful that me and a buddy can get the whole thing done in 1 day but that may be ambitious. With nearly 40 screen "panels" to tear off and reinstall with the spline system it will likely take some time. I did a little reading on the various systems on another forum and 1 guy reported about 3 hrs to install all the base pieces, then 1/2 hr per panel to get the screen in and caps trimmed and installed. If I take 1/2 hr per panel I'm at 10 hrs with 2 guys going...that doesn't include removing old & installing the bases. Hopefully I can get my time per panel down significantly lower after the first few.

Now I just have to make the 45-min trip to menards to order the parts and then return to pick them up when they arrive. They are a stocked item but my menards is low on them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That would work.  I'd use staples instead of nails personally.
View Quote

1/4 inch wide by around 1/2 inch does well.
Use a lot of them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Screen tight makes quite a few systems.
I’m screening my porch this weekend.
Mesh guard for the railings to meet code
Mini track for the upper sections under 50sf
Track fast for the sections over 50 sf
Phifer tuff no seeum screening.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've had good luck in the past with staples to retain the screen. My current porch has cut-to-fit frames and it's soooooo much easier to deal with.
View Quote

1/4 in wide by as long as you can find staples.
And put in LOTS of them.
Like a staple every inch or so.
Cover with trim.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top