Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/26/2020 10:42:52 PM EDT
I've enjoyed and learned much from his vids.

I've always lightly lubed my ARs so this vid made me

Home Brew AR Lube & AR Lubrication

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Mobil is popular and works but I have always used EWL and happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Their Facebook group has an insane amount of info on gauging all aspects of AR’s. Shows you really how many parts are out of spec but still technically work. You can really learn how to build a phenomenal rifle by their ways.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There is such a thing as too much lube.  That is a good example.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought I ran my ARs wet. I'm running them dry compared to that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their Facebook group has an insane amount of info on gauging all aspects of AR's. Shows you really how many parts are out of spec but still technically work. You can really learn how to build a phenomenal rifle by their ways.
View Quote

I was in that group but FB nuked me from orbit.

As far as the Lubrication aspect I have always heard lubing too much will cause it to gunk up.

I have always lubed on the lighter side and never had an issue but none of my ARs have been in the wilderness for extended periods.

I also have always used nickel Boron BCG in every one I've owned.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are just going to the range, and don’t care about lube spraying everywhere I guess that’s fine.    
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]
And away we go...

Before we go down the rabbit hole.  

Let’s start off with the fundamentals of lubrication. Here’s a decent starter read:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/24100/lubrication-basics
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was in that group but FB nuked me from orbit.

As far as the Lubrication aspect I have always heard lubing too much will cause it to gunk up.

I have always lubed on the lighter side and never had an issue but none of my ARs have been in the wilderness for extended periods.

I also have always used nickel Boron BCG in ever one I've owned.
View Quote

I too, was in that group and also met the fate you described.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently made the switch from MPro 7 LPX oil to Mobil 1 10w-30 full synthetic.

I run all my guns wet, I have not noticed any issues since the change. It’s cheaper and appears to work perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I started to say that this was pretty ridiculous, but then I realized there are many different ways to shoot your AR. So, if you shoot at a range that has a cement or finished floor, you might dip your bolt in oil and grease, or a mixture. But if you shoot outdoors in a more open setting, in the field as one would say, sitting on the ground, or any place sandy you are not going to want to do any of that.

I've got an AR that is north of 30 years old. It's worn down, thousands of rounds through it and at least one new barrel. It's never been lubed like that and it's always worked. I've spent my time in the Marines, I never saw anything like that there, and if I did, would hang out to watch the fireworks. Just saying......

I bet that guy buys the 55 gallon drums of lube we've seen on Amazon. I always wondered who would buy that, other than the Mustang Ranch

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I recently made the switch from MPro 7 LPX oil to Mobil 1 10w-30 full synthetic.

I run all my guns wet, I have not noticed any issues since the change. It's cheaper and appears to work perfectly fine.
View Quote

Use synthetic motor oil for years now.

The only gun lube I use anymore is this stuff https://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewg.php

IMO a little grease on contact surfaces is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And away we go...

Let’s start off with the fundamentals of lubrication. Here’s a decent starter read:

View Quote

Thanks for posting that.
Good stuff
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, I got about 45 seconds into the video closed it.  Guy sounded smart until he mentioned viscosity of the product he made and how much he was spending on gun oils.

For the “thousands of dollars” he supposedly spent on gun oils, he could of bought a drum of full synthetic motor oil. And cleaned a gun after every round for years to come.  Just because you’re an idiot doesn’t mean you need to announce it online.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Great video.

Chad knows his stuff thats a fact. Some of the most informational packed content on youtube.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great video.

Chad knows his stuff thats a fact. Some of the most informational packed content on youtube.
View Quote

Please tell me how anything he said about the oils and grease mixture is facts or informational.

As of right now all I saw was a bunch of “hurr durr I mix oils because I’m a gun smith on YouTube.”
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been using "Vegan" plant based Lube for the past 9 years. Never had a issue, never had it gum up, and on some of my more  collector items that sit for years, they are as lubed and rust free as the day I cleaned them and put then away. Granted I am not in a combat or desert situation. But water, hunting, and sitting for years, works very well....

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Guy seems like he knows his stuff about ar mechanics.

One thing I know is if I lubed my rifles like that they would be one shot guns very quickly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I see a lot of people have never been in a desert or live in a desert and think this is a great idea.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Also, I got about 45 seconds into the video closed it.  Guy sounded smart until he mentioned viscosity of the product he made and how much he was spending on gun oils.

For the “thousands of dollars” he supposedly spent on gun oils, he could of bought a drum of full synthetic motor oil. And cleaned a gun after every round for years to come.  Just because you’re an idiot doesn’t mean you need to announce it online.
View Quote

The dude knows more about the technical design and function of the AR than pretty much anyone.

However his lubrication ideas are ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Please tell me how anything he said about the oils and grease mixture is facts or informational.

As of right now all I saw was a bunch of “hurr durr I mix oils because I’m a gun smith on YouTube.”
View Quote

And just what would you know about lubrication?

You dont even have a youtube channel OR a facebook page.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:30:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Tame compared to his old one that he pulled, he used to coat the bcg in wheel bearing grease and then dunk the entire thing in a jar of mobil one engine oil.  Fucking thing was dripping wet.

Sounds stupid too saying that gun oil is expensive.  I've never seen him clean a dirty gun or shoot one to prove his theory.

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I just use CLP, the best and most readily available gun lube, and I use it for other lube uses around the house. When it dries it attracts zero dirt.

The problem with wet lubes is that they attracts debris and dirt. If you use too much on slides, it will fling oil back at the shooter's face and clothing. The trick for gun lubes is that a little goes a long ways.

For me if you spend hundreds of dollars for firearms, a few extra bucks for lube is not a big deal.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Breakfree CLP
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mobil is popular and works but I have always used EWL and happy with it.
View Quote
Yep. Slip2000 is good stuff.

I use the EWL/EWG to lube and the regular gun oil to clean/protect.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:35:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I have both.

And a lubrication school online.

Also my suppliers have extensively more information posted on YouTube and Facebook. Let alone things like... laboratories, testing centers and R&D teams with people that make me look like an idiot.

That I am.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The dude knows more about the technical design and function of the AR than pretty much anyone.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#27]
LOL.

The only gun I run dripping wet is Ma Deuce. Everything else is nothing more than a coating.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

You perfectly summed up the outlook of a good percentage of firearm enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#29]
If I had a dollar for every rifle I saw struggle through drills on the range and in classes due to a lack of lube, I’d have at least 40-50 extra bucks in my wallet.

Now I’m not throwing my gun into a drum of oil, but I run it fairly wet and don’t have those issues. I think the AVERAGE AR shooter under lubricates.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#30]
That dude is one or two snorts of adderall away from adding a grease zerk or oil mist system to his rifle.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:52:43 AM EDT
[#31]
What the hell is this?

Firearms lubrication just isn't that demanding or complicated compared to other common applications like engines or machinery. Specialized products that cost dollars per ounce, weird rituals, and the like are unnecessary.

For guns, I use basically three different groups of lubricants:

1) Light viscosity aerosols- Think G96 (my preference), RemOil, or CLP. These are convenient, and they're great for cleaning and for lubricating low demand, tight tolerance guns like revolvers and bolt actions.

2) Motor Oil- I don't think type or viscosity matters much at all. I don't think a gun is going to care if it's conventional or synthetic or if it's 20W or 50W. This goes on most of the moving parts of semiauto guns.

3) High temp automotive grease- I like to put this on surfaces that slide/reciprocate with high volume shooting. A liberal amount in an AR buffer tube will make it a lot quieter, and I like to put a thin coat of it on top of the charging handle and on the sides of the BCGs. I also like using it on the slide rails of handguns.

But... I could do everything with a store brand bottle of 10W-30 and it would be just fine. Again, it's not that complicated.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And away we go...

View Quote

I have a bunch of this oil, or at least enough to last me a lifetime anyway, and have used it quite often on firearms. I assume it's similar to sewing machine oil, and not much beyond that. Whale oil, maybe? I can't seem to find much info on it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps he does. But lacking knowledge in the fundamentals of lubrication means you don’t understand technical design.

See my link earlier.

The AR platform, along with majority of firearms, are a “way action” - or a sliding action.  Way lubricants are what you would use to combat this in an industrial application.

Firearms, where the moving parts are, do not get extremely hot in the scheme of things. Otherwise we wouldn’t be able to hold the firearm.  

The secondary to that, is shock. Firearms move fast and have a high shock load.  Every time the round fires, recoil, etc.

Third is contamination.

Loop in the fact the firearm is not a closed loop system. Meaning, the oil isn’t contained and reused. It’s a single use product.  Not like say a engine where the oil is filtered and cooled.

By doing what he is doing, first off:

He has no idea what the hell he’s making or why he’s even doing it. He might have an idea on the macro level. But he’s defeating a lot of the purpose of a lubricant. A lubricant is supposed to reduce friction.  

So he’s combining a 220 base oil lithium grease, with either a 5w or 0w oil. Which is going to be 100 base oil or 70 base oil respectively.

To make what? A thicker product with lithium in it? And a tackifier?

Just use a wayoil 32 and save some money.

Secondly, you’re filling space up with the grease to make a barrier lubricant, in a sliding situation. This is actually going to increase friction over a properly spec’d lubricant.  You don’t need a heavy lubricant like a grease in most firearms because the tolerances don’t call for it.

Which we could then have the conversation of tolerances, grease and contamination.  But I think you see the point.

Third. As the military learned, I don’t know, a 100 fucking years ago, lithium based greases are bad as gun greases. Which is why the military used calcium based greases for their gun greases dating back before WW2.

Lithium greases hold 1 to 1 water.  So 1 oz of grease will hold 1 oz of water.  This is bad for corrosion resistance. As you’re relying on the corrosion inhibitors to protect metals instead of removing the problem, which is water.  Calcium based greases hold .25 to 1.  So 1 oz of grease will hold .25 oz of water. This combats the issue of just not letting water in.

I can go on but it’s midnight. I think my point has been made that his technical knowledge on lubricants is ignorant at best.  And with that his technical knowledge on firearms, leaves me skeptical.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Sweet fuck
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:01:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have a bunch of this oil, or at least enough to last me a lifetime anyway, and have used it quite often on firearms. I assume it's similar to sewing machine oil, and not much beyond that. Whale oil, maybe? I can't seem to find much info on it.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/142983479307_/Vintage-Wwii-Oil-Can-For-Lubricating-Aircraft-Instrument.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And away we go...

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/142983479307_/Vintage-Wwii-Oil-Can-For-Lubricating-Aircraft-Instrument.jpg

From what I could find in a quick google, it’s an ISO 22 oil, with a heavy corrosion inhibitor/ rust preventative package in it.  

Again being midnight.  I’m going to ballpark guess it’s equal to the Quaker chemical ferrocote line. Like the 5856 product line up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Not watching a vid about lube.

Dump a bunch in there shoot the fuck out of it and dump some more in.

Ars can run dirty as fuck but you gotta keep em wet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you are just going to the range, and don’t care about lube spraying everywhere I guess that’s fine.    
View Quote

That's the thing you won't have a ton extra in there for long...
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

From what I could find in a quick google, it’s an ISO 22 oil, with a heavy corrosion inhibitor/ rust preventative package in it.  

Again being midnight.  I’m going to ballpark guess it’s equal to the Quaker chemical ferrocote line. Like the 5856 product line up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And away we go...

Interesting. A lot more to it than I would've imagined, then. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tame compared to his old one that he pulled, he used to coat the bcg in wheel bearing grease and then dunk the entire thing in a jar of mobil one engine oil.  Fucking thing was dripping wet.

Sounds stupid too saying that gun oil is expensive.  I've never seen him clean a dirty gun or shoot one to prove his theory.

View Quote

Never had an issue with frog lube paste running dirty. 1000rd wipes right off except the bolt tail.

Fuck their CLP. Shit gums up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:10:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That dude is one or two snorts of adderall away from adding a grease zerk or oil mist system to his rifle.
View Quote

“How to install a drip irrigation system in your rifle”
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Perhaps he does. But lacking knowledge in the fundamentals of lubrication means you don’t understand technical design.

See my link earlier.

The AR platform, along with majority of firearms, are a “way action” - or a sliding action.  Way lubricants are what you would use to combat this in an industrial application.

Firearms, where the moving parts are, do not get extremely hot in the scheme of things. Otherwise we wouldn’t be able to hold the firearm.  

The secondary to that, is shock. Firearms move fast and have a high shock load.  Every time the round fires, recoil, etc.

Third is contamination.

Loop in the fact the firearm is not a closed loop system. Meaning, the oil isn’t contained and reused. It’s a single use product.  Not like say a engine where the oil is filtered and cooled.

He has no idea what the hell he’s making or why he’s even doing it. He might have an idea on the macro level. But he’s defeating a lot of the purpose of a lubricant. A lubricant is supposed to reduce friction.  

So he’s combining a 220 base oil lithium grease, with either a 5w or 0w oil. Which is going to be 100 base oil or 70 base oil respectively.

Secondly, you’re filling space up with the grease to make a barrier lubricant, in a sliding situation. This is actually going to increase friction over a properly spec’d lubricant.  You don’t need a heavy lubricant like a grease in most firearms because the tolerances don’t call for it.

Which we could then have the conversation of tolerances, grease and contamination.  But I think you see the point.

Third. As the military learned, I don’t know, a 100 fucking years ago, lithium based greases are bad as gun greases. Which is why the military used calcium based greases for their gun greases dating back before WW2.

Lithium greases hold 1 to 1 water.  So 1 oz of grease will hold 1 oz of water.  This is bad for corrosion resistance. As you’re relying on the corrosion inhibitors to protect metals instead of removing the problem, which is water.  Calcium based greases hold .25 to 1.  So 1 oz of grease will hold .25 oz of water. This combats the issue of just not letting water in.

I can go on but it’s midnight. I think my point has been made that his technical knowledge on lubricants is ignorant at best.  And with that his technical knowledge on firearms, leaves me skeptical.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my link earlier.

Third is contamination.

The lithium grease corrosion discussion is new to me. I'm pretty sure the grease I've been using is probably lithium based.

I think the tolerances part of the conversation is something one can eyeball to an extent. A Dan Wesson, Nighthawk, or a tighter space like where a bolt sits in a BCG is obviously not where you'd want a grease. But much looser areas? Why not?

"Way oil" sounds interesting, but they don't seem to sell it anywhere consumer facing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:21:12 AM EDT
[#43]
We did a thread on this video earlier in the year, it was goofy then, still goofy.
I've been shooting AR's for a lot of years. You don't need to lube them like that to have them run reliably.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The lithium grease corrosion discussion is new to me. I'm pretty sure the grease I've been using is probably lithium based.

I think the tolerances part of the conversation is something one can eyeball to an extent. A Dan Wesson, Nighthawk, or a tighter space like where a bolt sits in a BCG is obviously not where you'd want a grease. But much looser areas? Why not?

"Way oil" sounds interesting, but they don't seem to sell it anywhere consumer facing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my link earlier.

Third is contamination.

Why have a grease in an area not designed for grease?

Here’s a good read of grease vs oil.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/923/grease-oil

My opinion, take it for what it’s worth, which is some asshole on the internet. That doesn’t make money off YouTube or have any reason to be e-famous.

1. Again, a firearm isn’t a closed system. Or semi closed system. You’re going to get a ton of contaminants in it.  That’s just a function of a firearm in use.  So cleaning regularly is recommended maintenance.

2.  Grease, like oil, won’t stay where you want it to in an open system like a firearm. Sure, it’s more tacky.  But it’s going to sling just like oil.  Why/how? Well, most of the time because it’s about 60-70% oil anyways. Just a heavy oil.

3.  Grease can cause fiction, instead of reducing it in the wrong application.

4.  Grease comes with it’s own set of issues.  Such as oil bleed off.  The oil that grease is formulated with, will separate out from the grease and drop off with time.  Given, higher performance greases are different. As well as different types of greases such as polyurea, PTFE, silicone and other exotics have different characteristics. But for the sake of this conversation, we’re talking about conventional greases. Specifically, a lithium based product that he is using and most use.  

The oil will leave the thickener. Which then inhibits the performance of the grease. Which, leads to lubrication failure.

5. Where is grease used primarily?
- extreme pressure situations.  King pins, U joints, bucket pins.

These situations are high shock load, high pressure areas that are semi sealed in normal conditions. Also once through applications.  This is to prevent wear on those points. But they have to be regularly maintained.

One could argue trailer bearings, or bearing applications are high speed. But that’s why in most heavy duty / high speed applications you have oil systems. Think a light duty landscaping trailer vs a heavy duty semi trailer.  Semi trailers use oil bath bearings. Light duty use grease.

Which has more failures per mile traveled?  Grease.

6. Also, think about these applications. They’re all one way lubricants. You purge the old out when you put the new in. Which means they’re semi sealed.  The grease creates a seal on the exit end.  The zerk fitting seals the grease entry point.  Guns don’t have this luxury. There is no “seal” on an AR.  So there is nothing to seal. Thus nothing to for the grease to seal.

So back to why not use it in an AR?

Why use it to begin with?  If you’re using it primarily for its oil... why not use an oil? Just a higher risk of contamination build up once the oil leaves the grease.

Now if you’re going to build a gun and put in an armory for 100 years like the fucking Russians? Yeah. Pack that mother fucker with grease.

Actual use? Most applications... oil.  Clean your gun.  Save some time and mess.

Way lubricants are mostly used in metal working applications. You can get a 5 gallon bucket for like 50 buck or less.

Edit:

There are definitely uses of grease in certain firearms. The M1 garand.  The 1911. As they were designed with it in mind.  You can certainly use oil on them too.  Just a note.  This is not a blanket statement of “grease bad.  Oil good.”  Use your knoggin. Think a bit about the mechanical action at hand. Both can work. Grease can certainly work in an AR.  But, I propose the question of why?

Even more, why bother with his mixture? For what he spent there he could just buy a semi fluid grease.

Edit 2:

To the topic of lithium and corrosion resistance. It’s why most marine greases are calcium based.

Link to a good article again, as I’m too tired to write it out.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29658/multi-purpose-grease
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:35:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Used some types of weapons in coral sand/dust environments.   Saw bad stuff of the other jurisdictional members M16A1"s.   Bolts were practically frozen shut.  Piss poor maintenance.   I carried a Rem M870 with a lot of 00 early on after witnessing these abortions.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I grab Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil or whatever Amsoil gear oil I have on the shelf that is within reach. For my competition pistols, I’ll mix some up with some red lithium grease until it is about the same consistency as gel toothpaste. I’ll hit buffer tubes with the same oil and grease combo.

Our temps down here are rarely a hundred degrees and we rarely get down to freezing, so the viscosity of lube isn’t a factor.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just use CLP, the best and most readily available gun lube, and I use it for other lube uses around the house. When it dries it attracts zero dirt.

The problem with wet lubes is that they attracts debris and dirt. If you use too much on slides, it will fling oil back at the shooter's face and clothing. The trick for gun lubes is that a little goes a long ways.

View Quote

I don't have a PhD in lubrication technology but I can tell you that when I was in the army the conventional infantry "wisdom" of too much oil attracts dirt was still common and I saw and experienced TONS of failures due to under lubricating stuff to avoid "attracting dirt."

Then we got a company armorer who was a "renegade"(meaning he read the internet and tested stuff ) and we started doing "dirt attracting stuff" and stoppages magically dropped to near zero.

We even used full size spray bottles full of CLP or motor oil we would just hose all over our 240s/SAWs when shooting high volume. Never had any issues, even when blasting off wayyyyy too many rounds for the number of spare barrels we brought because the LT didn't want to turn in extra ammo and fuck the equipment, shoot 20,000 rounds in an hour so we can go home and do it fast.

Strangely that same LT was a devoted adherent of oil being dirt attracting and I vividly remember being at an EIB event and him lecturing a private in the barracks that the M4 should be cleaned with Hoppes and kept very dry to avoid stoppages. The ONLY place on the weapon that needs lubricant is the buffer tube and buffer spring.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Great video.

View Quote

Not about lube.

His info on gaging parts seems solid.  Shit like this video makes me question his competence.

"Trigger pins have to spin."  Bullshit.  There's a reason the pin holes in the hammer and trigger are oversized to allow those items to spin on the pins.

That volume of sludge/lube all over the BCG is going to either drip into the chamber or receiver extension depending on if the rifle is stored muzzle up or muzzle down.  Not too many people store their rifle rail up.  The few that do will end up with a mag or mag well full of sludge because the majority of the BCG area he lubed is directly over the mag well not the FCG as he suggests.

After all that effort and his rifle sounds exactly like mine that just have a decent amount of Tri-Flow.  I run my guns wetter than most people but not quite to Pat Rogers' standards.  Chad's about 87,000% more lubed than me.

On top of that the first few rounds will be entertaining.  Larry Vickers did an episode where he dipped a 92 and AR in a tub of oil.  I imagine Chad's look similar if he ever fires one like that.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#49]
i use Slip2000 now only. just lube the inside of the upper and contact points of the BCG with a qtip, never had an issue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Let me preface this by saying I've never been .mil, I've never been on a two way range.  My only "experience" is shooting paper targets and 3-gun shit.  IMHO, it is virtually impossible to use too much Mobile 1 on an AR-15 BCG..  it's cheap and it gets the job done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top