Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2020 3:51:50 PM EDT
8 Ways Magic Mushrooms Explain Santa Story

1. Arctic shamans gave out mushrooms on the winter solstice.

2. Mushrooms, like gifts, are found beneath pine trees.

3. Reindeer were shaman "spirit animals."

4. Shamans dressed like … Santa Claus.

5. Mushrooms abound in Christmas iconography.

6. Rudolph's nose resembles a bright-red mushroom.

7. "A Visit from St. Nicholas" may have borrowed from shaman rituals.

8. Santa is from the Arctic.

Reindeer are common in Siberia and northern Europe, and seek out these hallucinogenic fungi, as the area's human inhabitants have also been known to do. Donald Pfister, a Harvard University biologist who studies fungi, suggests that Siberian tribesmen who ingested fly agaric may have hallucinated that the grazing reindeer were flying.

"At first glance, one thinks it's ridiculous, but it's not," said Carl Ruck, a professor of classics at Boston University. "Whoever heard of reindeer flying? I think it's becoming general knowledge that Santa is taking a 'trip' with his reindeer."

"Amongst the Siberian shamans, you have an animal spirit you can journey with in your vision quest," Ruck continued. "And reindeer are common and familiar to people in eastern Siberia."
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
SANTA ATE THE CHRISTMAS MUSHROOM
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Well shit......
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that the one where the Shaman has to eat the mushrooms then make you drink the pee?

Or is that the south american stuff?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
In before Joe Rogan
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that the one where the Shaman has to eat the mushrooms then make you drink the pee?

Or is that the south american stuff?
View Quote

It's more effective when passed through the reindeer.  

Everything is better when  you chase around wild tripping reindeer to collect their piss and drink it...   Right?  
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
At first I was like . .  Attachment Attached File

. . but then I thought Attachment Attached File

..  . then I thought a little bit more . .Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In before Joe Rogan
View Quote

In way after Joe Rogan.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In before Joe Rogan
View Quote

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Funny story, growing up my mom had these little elves and a Santa that you'd she'd put out in a little Christmas display all in some snow made of cotton and there were red mushrooms with white dots on them that came in the set.  It's an old set, one that's been in the family for a long time apparently and I have no idea where it came from.  Some years ago I told her about this and she could believe it even after reading up on it.  I haven't seen her put them out in several years though.   Now that I think about it, she had some Christmas ornaments that had schrooms on them as well.    My mom is about as straight laced as they come.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Funny story, growing up my mom had these little elves and a Santa that you'd she'd put out in a little Christmas display all in some snow made of cotton and there were red mushrooms with white dots on them that came in the set.  It's an old set, one that's been in the family for a long time apparently and I have no idea where it came from.  Some years ago I told her about this and she could believe it even after reading up on it.  I haven't seen her put them out in several years though.   Now that I think about it, she had some Christmas ornaments that had schrooms on them as well.    My mom is about as straight laced as they come.
View Quote

This was supposedly very common up to a certain point.    My grandparents on one side were the buy-cheap-stack-deep types to the point of absurdity and I vaguely remember similar ornaments and cards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top