Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2022 9:34:20 AM EDT
This is a short clip from a video I shot last weekend set in slow motion that shows the lag between a TE Variometer and a mechanical VSI. Many times when a student pilot begins PP lessons in a powered aircraft they will try to keep the plane level by watching the VSI. I was flying thru some light chopped up lift at the time.

https://mountainlife.smugmug.com/Sailplanes/i-77rfgwz/A

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome! Love the video, looks like a fun hobby
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that a VSI, or IVSI? I know how a VSI compares to an IVSI, but how does an IVSI compare to a variometer? Leaving aside the fact that most variometers have a full scale maximum of about 10KN (1000FPM), of course.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that a VSI, or IVSI? I know how a VSI compares to an IVSI, but how does an IVSI compare to a variometer? Leaving aside the fact that most variometers have a full scale maximum of about 10KN (1000FPM), of course.
View Quote

Both a VSI and IVSI show you what the aircraft is doing, a IVSI just shows it quicker. A Total Energy, compensated Vario tells you what the air is doing. A VSI will show stick induced climb a vario will not.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Student pilots learning how to fly for the first time should have all flight instruments covered up so they they can learn how to fly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top