Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2018 10:12:13 AM EDT
Will not open for 2018 season, leasing facility for car storage

Rumor has it that they were offered $75 million over 15 years to store cars there. Dragstrip was selected as the unit to close due to the short shutdown area and noise complaints from the developments which have been built around it.

All raceway employees let go.

NHRA does not appear to be planning to hold the Summernationals this year, schedule will drop to 23 events.

The dirt track and airport to stay open, and they will still use the rest of the grounds for car shows and concerts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#1]
No surprise with falling attendance numbers.  NHRA has really shit the bed the last few years.  This is the first year I didn't renew my season tickets and will not be going to Denver.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Very unfortunate. I saw this yesterday.  I've been down that track a bunch of times for the WRX vs. Evo event they used to hold.  It had a fantastic shut down length in comparison to the track I usually run on.  You could literally coast down from 140+
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Sadly, that was inevitable.
It was built in 1965 when the quick Fuel cars were running 7s at just over 200mph.
The shutdown/recovery area was built for that.

Fourty years later, they’re deep into the 4s at over 330mph.  
Same shutdown area.

Rest In Peace, champ

Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Another one bites the dust.

I lived a stones throw from Carlsbad raceway, spectated there many times, made many passes and helped run the starting gates at the motorcross track on occasion.
It is now the "Carlsbad raceway business park". Interestingly, the footprint of the track is the main road down the center of the complex. Surprised it hasn't become a place for street racing.

Because that is what you get when you shut down all the dragstrips. You get street racing, lots of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because that is what you get when you shut down all the dragstrips. You get street racing, lots of it.
View Quote
I started driving not long after OCIR closed.
Your statement is accurate
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#7]
It's always sad to see places like this close.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm hoping Maple Grove can pick up someone from Englishtown to be the new GM. The Grove hasn't had a good manager since Mike Lewis left.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#9]
it sucks ..  but I see this happening more often.   nhra nascar attendance and viewership is way down..
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
it sucks ..  but I see this happening more often.   nhra nascar attendance and viewership is way down..
View Quote
As someone who was once a big fan of both, what changed in the NHRA that caused the downturn?
Pretty much understand the decline of NASCAR, why pro drag racing though?

Personally, I watch a lot of the no prep, vintage gasser and 1320 Video stuff but have paid zero attention to the NHRA pro stuff for quite some time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Hate to see it go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Stopped going to those events in the 90's.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Isn't that the track that gave great times due to sea level and bar pressure?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#14]
"Noise complaints"
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Was planning on going there for the vintage races this year. Hopefully another track picks up the event
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Who was the lucky guy to make the last pass?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#17]
So Atco and Maple are the only two left in all of NJ,PA and NY now?

Geeze.

E-Town vintage drags where the best.

ETA Forgot Lebanon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I went to at least 1 national event from the late 70's up until 3 years ago.

NHRA started its decline when Winston dropped their sponsorship and has been on a slow decline ever since.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#19]

It sad that they cant even field 16 cars at some events
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Thats a real shame. Spent time visiting Joe Amato back in the day and next to him was Connie, Scott and the Kalitta team. Wouldn’t be summer without a trip to Englishtown. :o(
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As someone who was once a big fan of both, what changed in the NHRA that caused the downturn?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
IMO (as someone who once worked on two nitro funny car teams), it's just not a good value.

It's like $60 for tickets, track food is ALWAYS over-priced (think $8 burgers, $4 fries, $4 drinks), and it's a disaster getting in and out of these tracks.

Which is unfortunate because NHRA is the opposite of NASCAR . . . it's 100x better in person and is boring on TV whereas in NASCAR the best seats are the ones in front of your TV.

NHRA ignored Pro Stock for a long time and it grew into a class only a couple of guys could compete in.  NHRA ignored Pro Mod and despite their best efforts, grew into a class everyone wants to watch.

Typical idiots running the show.  Pay themselves millions, screw the sportsman racers, ignore the market, try to live off the name of the organization as long as possible.

Quoted:
Isn't that the track that gave great times due to sea level and bar pressure?
On the NHRA circuit, it's more luck of the draw with the weather (cold front comes in) and track surface conditions than anything.  Some tracks don't let the Q2 (friday night session) happen past a certain time so they get screwed by not having adjusted altitude as low as it could be.

The top fuel speed record was set Topeka, KS this past year and the funny car speed record was set in Sonoma, CA.  Topeka is like 1,000ft higher than Englishtown.

But yes, Englishtown is one of the tracks almost at sea level so it's still pretty quick.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I hate to hear any track closing, but esp drag racing. It's probably the easiest Motorsport to participate in. Englishtown has such a history too. Damn shame.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Very unfortunate. I saw this yesterday.  I've been down that track a bunch of times for the WRX vs. Evo event they used to hold.  It had a fantastic shut down length in comparison to the track I usually run on.  You could literally coast down from 140+
View Quote
Ditto this.
Awesome shutdown length.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
The NHRA has reported a 3% increase in attendance for each of the last 3 years.

The new Fox Sports TV package has been setting viewership records and the Friday night qualifying broadcasts are frequently the channel's highest rated program from that day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#25]
ah, Englishtown in the mid-70's, too bad, won't set foot in NJ for less than dead or dying friends or family.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#26]
No, there's still Island drag strip in Great Meadows NJ

Geeze.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#27]
NHRA needs to quit pissing on their racers and open some better classes. Street car/drag radial type classes are what people are into now, not high dollar bracket racing.

In the age of factory power, NHRA could have a kick-ass run what ya brung Super Stock class.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Atco and Maple Grove are not that far away.

I lived 15 minutes from MG and hit all those local tracks years ago. Etown, Atco, MG and Cecil were home tracks to me.
Etown and MG are some of the nicest, up to date, safe tracks.
Atco is a fucking dump. Couldn't walk away from my trailer without closing it up and locking it. Ghetto thugs galore there. Only went a couple times and didn't like the crowd.
Personally like Cecil the best. More of a mom and pop track that makes you feel welcome there.
MG treats you like it's a privilege to give them your money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn shame.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
NHRA needs to quit pissing on their racers and open some better classes. Street car/drag radial type classes are what people are into now, not high dollar bracket racing.

In the age of factory power, NHRA could have a kick-ass run what ya brung Super Stock class.
View Quote
Honestly they should bring back super stock! There's a LOT of badass production cars out there now. I'd love that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I would go to Englishtown NJ or Reading PA for the NHRA races.  Both are within 90 of me. My son was disappointed to here that they closed.  I'm going to make a point of it to get him to Reading this year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

IMO (as someone who once worked on two nitro funny car teams), it's just not a good value.

It's like $60 for tickets, track food is ALWAYS over-priced (think $8 burgers, $4 fries, $4 drinks), and it's a disaster getting in and out of these tracks.

Which is unfortunate because NHRA is the opposite of NASCAR . . . it's 100x better in person and is boring on TV whereas in NASCAR the best seats are the ones in front of your TV.

NHRA ignored Pro Stock for a long time and it grew into a class only a couple of guys could compete in.  NHRA ignored Pro Mod and despite their best efforts, grew into a class everyone wants to watch.

Typical idiots running the show.  Pay themselves millions, screw the sportsman racers, ignore the market, try to live off the name of the organization as long as possible.

On the NHRA circuit, it's more luck of the draw with the weather (cold front comes in) and track surface conditions than anything.  Some tracks don't let the Q2 (friday night session) happen past a certain time so they get screwed by not having adjusted altitude as low as it could be.

The top fuel speed record was set Topeka, KS this past year and the funny car speed record was set in Sonoma, CA.  Topeka is like 1,000ft higher than Englishtown.

But yes, Englishtown is one of the tracks almost at sea level so it's still pretty quick.
View Quote
I forgot about that.  Even in the '70s, Rt. 516 was a total shitshow when Englishtown let out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Personally, I watch a lot of the no prep, vintage gasser and 1320 Video stuff but have paid zero attention to the NHRA pro stuff for quite some time.
View Quote
You want to know what killed drag racing ?  MONEY. Way too much of it. Just like Nascar.
The cars all look and run the same... with different paint and stickers. That's boring as fuck.
Drag racing has and always will be a "grassroots" type of sport. It started on the streets.
Just look at how popular the show "Street Outlaws" has become. They pack the stands better than I've seen a national event in years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Used to live close enough to hear the Top Fuel cars, lots of good memories at the track with my Dad...
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#35]
does that mean that top fuel will go back to a full 1/4 mile?  iirc englishtown was a big reason they couldn't just mandate longer shutdown area for tracks, and instead decided to have them run 1000'.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Geeze.

E-Town vintage drags where the best.

ETA Forgot Lebanon.
View Quote
If you know about Atco then you were probably a local once.  Atco has never had the pros there that I know of.  And if they did, it was long before my time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
does that mean that top fuel will go back to a full 1/4 mile?  iirc englishtown was a big reason they couldn't just mandate longer shutdown area for tracks, and instead decided to have them run 1000'.
View Quote
Without a major rules package overhaul, no.
Speeds are getting out of hand at 1000’ as it is now.

They’ll have to address it eventually
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I lived 15 minutes from MG and hit all those local tracks years ago. Etown, Atco, MG and Cecil were home tracks to me.
Etown and MG are some of the nicest, up to date, safe tracks.
Atco is a fucking dump. Couldn't walk away from my trailer without closing it up and locking it. Ghetto thugs galore there. Only went a couple times and didn't like the crowd.
Personally like Cecil the best. More of a mom and pop track that makes you feel welcome there.
View Quote
And Maplegroves food is horrible
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depending on how far back you are talking, I may have sold you your tickets at MG. I worked just about every event as a teenager

As I said earlier in this thread, MG needs a good manager to change up the attitude out there. Dudas was an asshole, Case a crook, and Sway unfortunately was dealing the onset of Alzheimers last year
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Id rather go watch racing at the run what you brung test n tune nights at our local strip then any pro drag racing.
Shits got boring as hell.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I understand the issue with the short shutdown area, but it is the noise complaints from people who came after that pisses me off.
FU you knew what was there when you bought.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Depending on how far back you are talking, I may have sold you your tickets at MG. I worked just about every event as a teenager

As I said earlier in this thread, MG needs a good manager to change up the attitude out there. Dudas was an asshole, Case a crook, and Sway unfortunately was dealing the onset of Alzheimers last year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I raced there from around '91 to '01. Last trip down that track was around '08/'09.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I used to road race twice a month at Bridgehampton racetrack in the 70's, it's now a golf course.  Is the Hampton drag strip still in operation?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"Noise complaints"
View Quote
Right.  I love these fucking assholes that buy lots and build in subdivisions around a race track that has been there making noise in what was the middle of nowhere for years.  And then whine like impotent little bitches about the noise that has been created there for years.

Same goes with the fucktards that build near the interstate and airports.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I raced there from around '91 to '01. Last trip down that track was around '08/'09.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/DSC00727__2_-424378.JPG
View Quote
Yup, 97-02 I worked nearly every event (and occasionally since then). I almost certainly sold you your tickets or made you sign that stupid waiver sheet. Tall skinny kid who always had on a NASCAR hat.

(Sorry if I was a prick, I'd love to hop in a time machine and beat some sense into my teenage self).
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yup, 97-02 I worked nearly every event (and occasionally since then). I almost certainly sold you your tickets or made you sign that stupid waiver sheet. Tall skinny kid who always had on a NASCAR hat.

(Sorry if I was a prick, I'd love to hop in a time machine and beat some sense into my teenage self).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/DSC00727__2_-424378.JPG

lol... never had issue with the clipboard handlers. It was the general management everyone had issue with.

If one drop of rain fell in the next zipcode, they would close the track and send everyone home. Happened to me a number of times. Sometimes never even got my card punched.
I stopped racing there because of it.
I would drive right down 176 past the Green Hills exit on my way to Cecil.
All my friends did the same.
I can't even fathom how much money MG lost to Cecil because of MG's holier than thou management attitude.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I was at waterfest there 10 years ago and saw a little plane crash right outside the fences.

The track was a pain to get to for me but some good memories.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I used to road race twice a month at Bridgehampton racetrack in the 70's, it's now a golf course.  Is the Hampton drag strip still in operation?
View Quote
It's an over 55 complex.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
NHRA has really shit the bed the last few years.  
View Quote
1000 feet is just not the same as 1/4 mile...............
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#50]
When you drop from @ mile to 1000ft .. and  you ask why ratings are down..... and next nail  in the NHRA  is when they go to 1/8 mile  .....  and the end will be when they go to 60 foot racing  to save the children ......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top