User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is nowhere in WV that’s too far north for timber rattlesnakes and copperheads.
View Quote

Don t do this to me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Good. I was being a little funny with this but they do send people in asking for signatures when people are at their weakest.
Like they did when my dad coded from choking on Thanksgiving Turkey in the ambulance and the ER.
The ambulance company chased me for the ride to the hospital. Why? Because I was there?
View Quote

Wife’s dad had a neighbor kid (age 15?) wreck on his skateboard a few years ago and hit his head just so without a helmet on. Wife’s dad heard the kid’s friend yelling for help. He called 911 and the boy was life-flighted to Atlanta, where he unfortunately didn’t survive the head injury. Poor kid.

Anyway, my wife’s dad was the one who got the bill for the life flight a few weeks later, since he was the guy who called 911.

Not sure who ended up paying it, but it wasn’t him. Fuckers. Gotta bill somebody...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep. The guy that started and runs that group - Norman Benoit - ran with Haast back in the day.

I saw a TV show about this guy’s blood being used for research purposes.
View Quote

There are a couple cases of Bill's blood being used for treatment when the hospital couldn't get antivenom. That's how immune he was.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There are a couple cases of Bill's blood being used for treatment when the hospital couldn't get antivenom. That's how immune he was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. The guy that started and runs that group - Norman Benoit - ran with Haast back in the day.

Lived to be 100-101 too?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, we're gonna have to nuke your house from orbit.

You know why.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I have BCBS Federal. My cost for an overnight and 3 doses of CroFab was $0. That was for a Copperhead bite.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I want it on the record that I flat out REFUSE to believe that there are any snakes, venomous or "safe", in my AO.

therefore there are none and I am perfectly safe from their unseen, slithery threat

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Ever milk a snake?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ever milk a snake?
View Quote

Milked my snake a time or two.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lived to be 100-101 too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lived to be 100-101 too?

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@ W_E_G  Did it give the number of Units given?

View Quote

All we have so far is the Medicare statement.
So, just what you see is all I have.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ W_E_G  Did it give the number of Units given?

That seems to be an exorbitant amount of $$ for what appears to be a very mild bite.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Based on OP's pictures, agreed.  Copperheads really aren't that dangerous overall, compared to others.
View Quote
Still, not to be fucked with.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If those hicks had just left the snakes alone,where they belonged and where they hurt no one,there would have been zero need.
View Quote
Behavior-reinforced stereotypes are real.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on OP's pictures, agreed.  Copperheads really aren't that dangerous overall, compared to others.

Exactly.
Any bite from a NA pit viper could be potentially life threatening, everyone's body reacts differently.
Sidewinders are also often referred to as "not that dangerous" when compared to other rattlesnakes. A friend was bitten by one last summer, and it turned out to be a fairly nasty bite.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don t do this to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nowhere in WV that's too far north for timber rattlesnakes and copperheads.

Don t do this to me.
Attachment Attached File

We got options. I got in early on the Mantises for Murder Hornets - prolly should get in on this too

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14291/Untitled_jpg-1503569.JPG

We got options. I got in early on the Mantises for Murder Hornets - prolly should get in on this too

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nowhere in WV that's too far north for timber rattlesnakes and copperheads.

Don t do this to me.

A West Virginian would make stew out of that before he turned it loose. lol
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don t do this to me.

I'm thinking about breeding them for a few years, then releasing millions of them into the wild. That way I have some to eat and some will eat the snakes.

It's win/win if you think about.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm thinking about breeding them for a few years, then releasing millions of them into the wild. That way I have some to eat and some will eat the snakes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don t do this to me.

Always liked your avatar pic!

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you buy foreign antivenom you also need to find a doctor authorized to administer it. From what I understand it's considered an experimental drug in the US, and the doctor needs to have an extra string of letters on his license.

I've talked to keepers who travelled to those areas, and brought several vials home as "personal use pharmaceuticals".
View Quote

Yep. I had a doctor who was considering doing it for me. Before I got too far into the process though I decided I really didn’t like keeping a cobra anyway, so I just sold it. The pit vipers I had didn’t worry me enough to continue down the importation path.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don t do this to me.

Onslow is my spirit animal.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Superior concept - but I'd want some beholden to and in direct vicinity of my household - so they'd be handy if any Riki Tiki Tavi shit needs to go down.

Unfortunately they aint nearly as good against the snakes we have here.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don t do this to me.

Aww, noice!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Superior concept - but I'd want some beholden to and in direct vicinity of my household - so they'd be handy if any Riki Tiki Tavi shit needs to go down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep some barely fed mongooses (mongeese?) in cages wired in the trees like Claymores but pointing at my house. I so much as think I hear a "sssssssss" and I hit the detonators which blow open the cages and out come like 300 starving snake eaters looking for a meal.

Then, when the danger is over and the plural of mongoose have eaten their snake and fled into the woods to find more snakes to devour, I put up a few new cages of hungry ones.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Medical billing in the US is a fucking scam.

This

for emphasis.  This.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#27]
damn.  that costs more than ink jet printer cartridges.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Keep some barely fed mongooses (mongeese?) in cages wired in the trees like Claymores but pointing at my house. I so much as think I hear a "sssssssss" and I hit the detonators which blow open the cages and out come like 300 starving snake eaters looking for a meal.

Then, when the danger is over and the plural of mongoose have eaten their snake and fled into the woods to find more snakes to devour, I put up a few new cages of hungry ones.
View Quote
The mongooses go after the Cobras, helluva slower snake than a rattlesnake. Hell there's a video of a Jack Russell taking out a Cobra without much trouble.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What kind of an asshole gets bitten by one of those damn things?  
View Quote

Some schmuck had one as a pet from what I remember.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cobras are slow-strikers, ours are muck quicker.

Cobras strike by falling forward, our snakes strike pretty much straight out very quickly.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Cobras strike by falling forward, our snakes strike pretty much straight out very quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I'm back to massive amounts of fire.

It's funny how all my problems invariably end with fire as the solution.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LOL, my neighbor a few hundred yards away kills at least one a year.  He's close to a rocky area that's probably has a den.

So far, in six years there all I have seen is rat snakes. Doesn't mean the others aren't there, just haven't seen them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want it on the record that I flat out REFUSE to believe that there are any snakes, venomous or "safe", in my AO.

therefore there are none and I am perfectly safe from their unseen, slithery threat

LOL, my neighbor a few hundred yards away kills at least one a year.  He's close to a rocky area that's probably has a den.

So far, in six years there all I have seen is rat snakes. Doesn't mean the others aren't there, just haven't seen them.

I was averaging killing about 2 a year until I got some free range chickens and haven't seen one since.
Related or coincidence I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Because Medical billing in the US is a fucking scam.
View Quote

Yep.  Like always the middle man takes a simple thing and makes it a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And with MUCH longer fangs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newsletter? I'm subscribing
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the killer much more effective - hence my statement in despair. Phalanx or Meroka seems overkill but cant be to careful
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Won’t a rattlesnake (or pretty much any North American viper)  kick a mongoose’s ass due to different striking technique?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I know virtually nothing about this stuff.

Why is anti-venom in short supply?  Does it not store well?  Like does it go bad in like a month or something, so it doesn’t make sense to harvest and make a bunch?

It seems to me that there are thousands of people fucking around with venomous snakes at any given time, as owners or scientists.  Why they don’t collect venom all the time, I don’t really understand.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
two different prices for the same thing? why?
View Quote

Why does a half gallon of milk cost more than half of a full gallon of milk?

It's also possible that the entire vial has to be discarded after use whether or not it is all needed.  In that case, the options are bill for the entire vial whether or not it is all used or charge more for the first dose to recoup the loss on the remaining doses that get wasted.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I lived near Morgantown and saw copperheads every summer.
View Quote

Bedford, PA - checking in. Personally have caught two copperheads and a rattlesnake within short walking distance of my home as a teenager.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes

ETA
Rattlesnake Fangs

Cobra Fangs

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Won't a rattlesnake (or pretty much any North American viper)  kick a mongoose's ass due to different striking technique?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't a rattlesnake (or pretty much any North American viper)  kick a mongoose's ass due to different striking technique?

Did you leave out my whole post on purpose?

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck if I know- I’m juggling all kinds of shit at work today so I’m in ADD mode
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#44]
@W_E_G

Where are you in NOVA?  

I ask because I want to steal an airplane and napalm the shit out of your subdivision.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@W_E_G

Where are you in NOVA?  

I ask because I want to steal an airplane and napalm the shit out of your subdivision.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I know virtually nothing about this stuff.

Why is anti-venom in short supply?  Does it not store well?  Like does it go bad in like a month or something, so it doesn’t make sense to harvest and make a bunch?

It seems to me that there are thousands of people fucking around with venomous snakes at any given time, as owners or scientists.  Why they don’t collect venom all the time, I don’t really understand.
View Quote

I looked that up...looks like the shelf life went from 3 years to 5 years recently.    However, it's probably a very limited production item...so low demand on it, so they don't produce much, and the normal dose (not my field being a podiatrist) is several vials.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In real life. 6 vials for everyone. See what happens. Saves on cost compared to giving 12 up front. If it continues to progress give another 6. Once no progression switch to maintenance dosing 2 vials every 6.

Anavip is even better - nearly every hospital here in AZ where we see quite a few bites has switched to it - cheaper and no redosing.

View Quote

Yeah, that’s from up to date.
My board review course quoted 5
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top