Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2023 4:09:19 PM EDT
My Fidelity consultant thinks I should transition my non-retirement mutual funds to SMA's to lessen the tax liability.  Seems like a no-brainer but I am wondering if the knowledgeable people here agree?
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By mt357:
My Fidelity consultant thinks I should transition my non-retirement mutual funds to SMA's to lessen the tax liability.  Seems like a no-brainer but I am wondering if the knowledgeable people here agree?
View Quote

What did he tell you the management fee was out of curiosity?

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By woodsie:

What did he tell you the management fee was out of curiosity?

View Quote

0.4%
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes the fee is much higher than it is for my mutual fund but the savings in capitol gains tax with be over $20,000 per year so in the end I come out ahead.  Hopefully.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mt357:
Yes the fee is much higher than it is for my mutual fund but the savings in capitol gains tax with be over $20,000 per year so in the end I come out ahead.  Hopefully.
View Quote

Help me out here:  a money person wants you to put your money into an account they manage for a 0.4% fee.  You want to do this to avoid $20k in taxes you pay on dividends.  If your sma buys non-dividend paying stocks then you… don’t get dividends and thus don’t pay taxes on the dividends.  

So you’d give up all your dividend income plus pay a higher management fee in exchange for what?  The hope that the individual stocks will go up in value more than the combined value of the funds plus their dividends?  

If your $20k tax bill indicates around $100k of dividend income why the rush to get rid of that income?  I guess I don’t understand the whole “I want to reduce my real income to pay less in taxes”.  This is all taxable money so if you need cash to pay the tax bill you can simply sell $20,000 of your mutual funds.  

I’m also skeptical since the money guy has a vested interest in you switching to the sma.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top