Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/11/2019 5:01:29 PM EDT
ICYMI, the Dept of Justice filed their delayed brief in Kettler vs US. This is the case from Kansas where they passed the Kansas Second Amendment Protection Act saying locally made NFA items were OK. Kettler (a retired veteran) bought a locally made suppressor from a gun store based on that assurance, and then the ATF dropped a ton of felony charges on Kettler.

The Feds ended up dropping most of the charges but Kettler got stuck with a felony and probation, so he appealed to SCOTUS. He challenged the entire NFA tax structure as unconstitutional and not an actual tax but just a mechanism of control. It's probably one of the best NFA cases in a long time.

Specifically, the DoJ is arguing at taxpayer expense:

1. Suppressors are not covered by the Second Amendment. This is the big one that got my attention.

As the court of appeals correctly determined, a silencer is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions on silencers “don’t materially burden” one’s ability  to  use  a  gun for “self-defense.”

First,  the  court of  appeals  held  that  petitioner  was not exercising  his  Second  Amendment  rights  when  he bought  and  possessed  an  unregistered  silencer.
View Quote
They even quote the Heller "dangerous and unusual weapons" BS.

“Silencers” “are even more dangerous  and  unusual  than  machine  guns    ***    and  are  less common than either short-barreled shotguns or machine guns.”)
View Quote
2. It's probably fine to tax the 2A out of existence. And even if it isn't, we'd rather not argue that right now.

Second,  the  court  of  appeals  expressly  declined  to consider the limits of the government’s authority to tax the  exercise  of  Second  Amendment  rights.    Given  the court’s “conclusion that the Second Amendment [does not cover] silencers,” the court determined that “this appeal isn’t the right vehicle to test that approach.”  
View Quote
3. Even though the NFA 'tax' costs the government more money to administer than it raises, that doesn't matter.

4. The fact that the ATF and not the IRS administer the NFA 'tax' doesn't matter.

5. They throw the Hughes amendment under the bus as well, even though that is a related abuse of the NFA "tax".

Fourth,  petitioner observes  (Pet.  16-17)  that,  since Sonzinsky, Congress has  enacted  a separate  statutory provision  (not  challenged  here)  that  limits  the  possession of some machineguns.  This case, however, involves silencers,  not  machineguns.    Petitioner  fails  to  explain how Congress’s enactment of restrictions on the posses-sion of one item affectsthe constitutionality of a tax on the  transfer  of  a  different  item.    See United  States v. Copus,  93F.3d  269,  276  (7th  Cir.  1996)  (rejecting  the
10argument  that  the  enactment  of  the  machinegun  restrictions “has undermined the constitutional basis of the taxation and registration requirements” applicable to silencers).
View Quote
6. And the fact the NFA is onerous doesn't matter, suck it up.

Finally, petitioner  complains(Pet.  12)that  the  National Firearms Act imposes “onerous” registration requirements.    The  Constitution,  however,  grants  Congress broad authority to enact laws that are “necessary and proper for carrying into Execution” its enumerated powers, includingthe power to tax.  U.S. Const.Art. I, § 8, Cl. 18.  And this Court has held that the Act’s “registration provisions” “are obviously supportable as in aid of” the tax provisions.
View Quote
I'd sure like to know where Trump and Trump Jr are on this case.

Why the f are they even trying to block cert? Kettler should get to argue this at SCOTUS.  Remind me again why Trump got the gun vote when people under his command are making statements like this?!

You can read the whole DoJ brief here, try not to gag:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-936/98723/20190506173902642_18-936%20Kettler.pdf

Also there is an amazing amicus brief by a pro 2A non-profit which spells out exactly why the NFA tax is wrong.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-936/88832/20190219144956757_18-936%20Amicus%20Brief.pdf

More case docs at https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.aspx?FileName=/docket/docketfiles/html/public%5C18-936.html

IANAL so I don't know when we will find out if Kettler gets cert or just gets screwed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If suppressors aren’t weapons, then in what fucking universe are they more dangerous than a weapon?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If suppressors aren't weapons, then in what fucking universe are they more dangerous than a weapon?
View Quote
I believe they're weapons by definition here in the US.    Why else would I have to fill out a 4473 every time I buy one?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I believe they're weapons by definition here in the US.    Why else would I have to fill out a 4473 every time I buy one?
View Quote
Apparently the feds get to have it both ways. They are weapons when they want to stop you getting one or take one off you. But when you argue about that in court, suddenly they transform into something else.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If suppressors aren’t weapons, then in what fucking universe are they more dangerous than a weapon?
View Quote
to wit: if they aren't weapons, firearms and don't fall under the definition of "arms", why are they being regulated in the National FIREARMS Act of 1934?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If suppressors aren't weapons, then in what fucking universe are they more dangerous than a weapon?
Per the filing by DOJ

As the court of appeals correctly determined, a silencer is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions on silencers “don’t materially burden” one’s ability to use a gun for “self-defense.”
It’s a fucking obvious lie and SCOTUS needs to slap DOJ in the fucking mouth.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Suppressors are less common than either SBS or machineguns?  That doesn't sound right to me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Suppressors are less common than either SBS or machineguns?  That doesn't sound right to me.
View Quote
I have 4 suppressors and none of those other ones.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If he can direct the ATF to legislate by regulation, he can direct the DOJ in the same manner....

It's pretty clear where he stands on this deal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for more info.  I know a guy who knows these guys.  It would be nice if they win but might take a couple more new supremes to have a chance.

Not enough of the court “conservatives” are really conservative.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Guessing that’s one of those lies they hope they aren’t called out on.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]
a magazine is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions ... “don’t materially burden” one’s ability to use a gun for “self-defense.”
a barrel is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions ... “don’t materially burden” one’s ability to use a gun for “self-defense.”
a trigger is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions ... “don’t materially burden” one’s ability to use a gun for “self-defense.”
a bolt is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions ... “don’t materially burden” one’s ability to use a gun for “self-defense.”

With this logic, you could effectively ban guns by banning every part a gun is made up of.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a lot of wanting to have it both ways in that POS brief.

Claiming a suppressor is less common than a SBS or machinegun though? LOL. I know 5 people with at least one suppressor for every one I know with an MG.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. If suppressors are not weapons, then why do they fall under the rules of the National FIREARMS Act, and why are they regulated by the ATF? As far as their claim that ownership of suppressors is less common than ownership of machine guns, that is pure BS...maybe they should have consulted with the NfA Branch to get some factual data before making such a ludicrous and untrue statement.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Did whomever authored that brief even read the law they're trying to defend?

18 U.S. Code §?921
(3) The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm tired of MAGA
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Suppressors aren't common?  What a crock.  Got a brief tour of Silencer Shop a few years ago and at that time they were transferring about 100 every day.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

18 U.S. Code §?921
(3) The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
View Quote
When its a leftist gov't official wanting something, the previous laws they've written don't matter.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

18 U.S. Code §?921
View Quote
I was going to post this.

What the fuck are they doing here?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Suppressors aren't common?  What a crock.  Got a brief tour of Silencer Shop a few years ago and at that time they were transferring about 100 every day.
View Quote
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/13/silencer-shop-sends-2m-worth-of-nfa-stamp-applications/
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was my immediate thought. How can it be both.

Someone please tell me how a tube with crap inside is dangerous in and of itself?

Last I recall there were something like 250k transferable MG's. How many Form 4 and Form1 cans are there. Maybe I am crazy but I would have to think it is more than 250k.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Justice Thomas would love that case.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When its a leftist gov't official wanting something, the previous laws they've written don't matter.
View Quote
Yeah, this brief reads like something the Obama DoJ would have written. And yet it was written by Noel Francisco and Brian Benczkowski, both 'conservatives' appointed by Trump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Francisco

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Benczkowski

Pretty damn infuriating.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That was my immediate thought. How can it be both.

Someone please tell me how a tube with crap inside is dangerous in and of itself?
View Quote
The same way a penalty for not buying health insurance isnt a tax, but then is a tax, until its not a tax.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#24]
News flash, the federal government sucks.  Story at 11.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, that's a lot of lies and contradictions in one document.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#26]
The government is arguing both sides of the fence.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
News flash, the federal government sucks.  Story at 11.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
My first thought.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ya it’s bullshit

Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
a magazine is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions ... “don’t materially burden” one’s ability to use a gun for “self-defense.”
a barrel is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions ... “don’t materially burden” one’s ability to use a gun for “self-defense.”
a trigger is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions ... “don’t materially burden” one’s ability to use a gun for “self-defense.”
a bolt is neither a weapon nor an “armour of defence,” and restrictions ... “don’t materially burden” one’s ability to use a gun for “self-defense.”

With this logic, you could effectively ban guns by banning every part a gun is made up of.
View Quote
California is working on that.  And banning 80% lowers.  Eventually we won’t be able to own milling machines, drill presses, or blocks of metal.  Fun!
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The government is arguing both sides of the fence.
View Quote
The federal government is definitely doing that.

State AG's for Arkansas, Idaho, Louisiana, Montana, South Carolina, Texas, and Utah actually filed a brief in support of Kettler, as previously noted in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Also there is an amazing amicus brief by a pro 2A non-profit which spells out exactly why the NFA tax is wrong.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-936/88832/20190219144956757_18-936%20Amicus%20Brief.pdf
View Quote
This is a very well written brief.  Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Doesn't matter what logic you use.

Federal government wants to restrict the liberties and capabilities of the people.

Republican or Democrat they will keep advancing this agenda. The State wants to win.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#34]
The war on the second amendment is “over...”
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter what logic you use.

Federal government wants to restrict the liberties and capabilities of the people.

Republican or Democrat they will keep advancing this agenda. The State wants to win.
View Quote
The state is sure as fuck going to fight tooth and nail to keep all the power they so far attained. Why you won't see anyone in the Trump presidency blink an eye at this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Accessories to firearms by rights should be COMPLETELY unregulated and out of the scope of all firearms laws.

The only exception should be that the usage of an accessory, attached to a firearm, in the commission of a crime, should be a compounding factor for calculating the punishment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I wish a handicapped, gay, female, mixed race person was suing to make it legal. Mine is a paperweight with a hole through it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Suppressors aren't a weapon(firearm) according to law?

SBSs and MGs are more common and less-deadly than suppressors?

Lol

Fuck the DoJ and the rest of them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Excellent point!
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly, they are sure as fuck treated like weapons as far as the ATF is concerned.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah I caught that too.  Talk about blatant fucking lying.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#42]
They may be including .gov owned machine guns when they say there are more machine guns and SBR's than silencers.

I imagine if you add up all of the fed gov machine guns, there are a ton of them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#43]
this is why I fucking HATE the motherfucking cunt government.  FUCKING HATE.  Those dick licking ass fucking dribbling nose nutless fucking assholes. FUCK!
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#44]
President Trump will make this right, he supports the second amendment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
this is why I fucking HATE the motherfucking cunt government.  FUCKING HATE.  Those dick licking ass fucking dribbling nose nutless fucking assholes. FUCK!
View Quote
There's going to come a point where every man on this site will have to decide how much compliance he will accept.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

18 U.S. Code §?921
View Quote
This. I was just about to go get this quote.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
President Trump will make this right, he supports the second amendment.
View Quote
The Second Amendment Coalition
November 3, 2016 - January 20, 2017

Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

18 U.S. Code §?921
View Quote
Making a mistake; do not interrupt them
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Calm down.

These are just legal arguments.  The fact that these are the best arguments they can make....is good.  It means they don't have a stronger argument or they don't understand the law they are dealing with well enough to know that a suppressor, due to the law itself, is a firearm.  That's just one example.

So yeah, this is just a lawyer's arguments.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top