Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2022 9:27:59 PM EDT
I don't buy the newest stuff, and I usually buy CPU/MB used.

Ryzen 5 5600x, i7-10700k, funny chipsets, ram that can overclock.... Passmark gives the Ryzen clear benefit, but the i7 has more physical cores.  I do like the idea of lower power/lower heat, in case I want to overclock, and because the system will be on 24/7 in my office, and my current system heats the room.

Yet some review sites are always giving the edge to Intel.

This is not an ideological question, I do not give a shit about either company, I want a modest system that will last my a while and not sink my mortgage.  I want bang for buck, overlocked RAM, potential to OC the CPU, and low noise and heat.

There are a few other CPUs that I am looking at, but these are the main two.  Would also look at the R7-5800x vs the same intel CPU.

Opinions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the generation of each CPU and what YOU are trying use it for.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the generation of each CPU and what YOU are trying use it for.

View Quote

Tell me you didn’t read OP’s post without telling me you didn’t read OP’s post.

OP, if you want modest, cool, and performant, you want the 5600x. The 10700k is a 125w TDP processor while the 5600x is 65w.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you doing in the office with it?  Spreadsheets/invoicing or graphic design/rendering?

From just the OP, go with the Ryzen 5600X (or even the 5600); power draw is much lower then its intel counterpart. The air cooler they come with will be fine.  A 240 AIO cooler isnt a bad idea for it, but not necessary.

Being used in an office setting I assume you have a few different things going on at once with multitasking, run 32 gigs of RAM (OC of ram isn't a huge deal, just turn on the DOCP in BIOS to get the full speed from the RAM). Can get 32gigs around the $100-125 range.

Do you have a graphics card already or will you need a new one?  (Prices have gotten MUCH better in the GPU world, but some are still high).  A RTX 3050 (cheaper entry level - $250 from EVGA in stock much more last few weeks, but have to be fast) would be fine for an office PC.  If your running more or (multiple) higher resolution monitors, you may need want to jump to a 3060ti ($480 from EVGA). (If you graphic design you will want way higher card)

Drop it all into a B550 motherboard with a 750w power supply would be just fine.

B550 boards have on board slots for 2 M.2 storage drives (you can get the sizes you need for what you do. 1TB is running around 80-110 bucks maker depending)

The OTHER option would be to run a Ryzen 5600G or 5700G that has on board graphics on the CPU.  They would be JUST fine for office work and would save some cash on the need for a dedicated GPU.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't buy the newest stuff, and I usually buy CPU/MB used.

Ryzen 5 5600x, i7-10700k, funny chipsets, ram that can overclock.... Passmark gives the Ryzen clear benefit, but the i7 has more physical cores.  I do like the idea of lower power/lower heat, in case I want to overclock, and because the system will be on 24/7 in my office, and my current system heats the room.

Yet some review sites are always giving the edge to Intel.

This is not an ideological question, I do not give a shit about either company, I want a modest system that will last my a while and not sink my mortgage.  I want bang for buck, overlocked RAM, potential to OC the CPU, and low noise and heat.

There are a few other CPUs that I am looking at, but these are the main two.  Would also look at the R7-5800x vs the same intel CPU.

Opinions?

Thanks.
View Quote

I have no idea what's going on here. You say the system is going to be in your office which implies a professional setting, yet you're talking about overclocking and other hobbyist things.

If you are going to depend on this machine for your income, then get the 5600X or 5800X, pair it with DDR4-3200 RAM, and keep everything at stock settings. The cooler that comes in the box will suffice, but something from Noctua will be quieter and more reliable.

If "office" is simply a room and you want a hobby machine, then you can get either system and do all the funny stuff to it you want.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
In most cases on newer Ryzen your best bet is to set XMP and not touch the CPU. Odds are it won't gain much with a manual overclock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In most cases on newer Ryzen your best bet is to set XMP and not touch the CPU. Odds are it won't gain much with a manual overclock.
View Quote

Ah, I forgot about that. Except that AMD calls it DOCP. Put the 3,200 MHz DDR4 RAM in, and set the DOCP profile. It should be on the main screen of the BIOS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top