Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2019 6:29:21 PM EDT
Well I agree with her on this.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/supreme-court-limits-power-of-states-and-localities-to-impose-fines-seize-property-1.569409

“WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Wednesday that the Constitution's prohibition on excessive fines applies to state and local governments, limiting their abilities to impose financial penalties and seize property.

The decision delighted critics of civil asset forfeiture, who welcomed it as a new weapon in their war against what's been labeled "policing for profit" - the practice of seizing cash, cars and other property from those convicted, or even suspected, of committing a crime.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, on her second day back on the bench after undergoing cancer surgery in December, announced the court's decision, saying the Eighth Amendment's Excessive Fines Clause protects against government retribution at all levels.

"For good reason, the protection against excessive fines has been a constant shield throughout Anglo-American history: Exorbitant tolls undermine other constitutional liberties," Ginsburg wrote. "Excessive fines can be used, for example, to retaliate against or chill the speech of political enemies. . . . Even absent a political motive, fines may be employed in a measure out of accord with the penal goals of retribution and deterrence."
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
We really haven't developed at all since the Magna Charta.  The main motivation 800 years ago was excessive fines by the king and his stooges.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well I agree with her on this.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/supreme-court-limits-power-of-states-and-localities-to-impose-fines-seize-property-1.569409

“WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Wednesday that the Constitution's prohibition on excessive fines applies to state and local governments, limiting their abilities to impose financial penalties and seize property.

The decision delighted critics of civil asset forfeiture, who welcomed it as a new weapon in their war against what's been labeled "policing for profit" - the practice of seizing cash, cars and other property from those convicted, or even suspected, of committing a crime.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, on her second day back on the bench after undergoing cancer surgery in December, announced the court's decision, saying the Eighth Amendment's Excessive Fines Clause protects against government retribution at all levels.

"For good reason, the protection against excessive fines has been a constant shield throughout Anglo-American history: Exorbitant tolls undermine other constitutional liberties," Ginsburg wrote. "Excessive fines can be used, for example, to retaliate against or chill the speech of political enemies. . . . Even absent a political motive, fines taxes may be employed in a measure out of accord with the penal goals of retribution and deterrence."
View Quote
I couldn't agree more.

Repeal the NFA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Did the notorious RGB just smoke the fuck outta the NYC permit system?  Cause I think she did.

It's like she really did die and was possessed by her friend Antonin
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did the notorious RGB just smoke the fuck outta the NYC permit system?  Cause I think she did.

View Quote
For real. Is she going to go all 87D chess on us and start ruling for the constitution? And we will be praying that SHE STAYS ON the SC?!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You mean her clerks and handlers got it right.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For real. Is she going to go all 87D chess on us and start ruling for the constitution? And we will be praying that SHE STAYS ON the SC?!!!!
View Quote
Nah.  Probably just showing she isn't mentally deficient by making a non-controversial ruling.  If she had ruled the other way, against the rest of the court....she would have gained nothing and had to argue as to why she ruled against something that was pretty easily seen as unconstitutional even from the left's point of view.

She's not stupid, she has always had her agenda.  This case doesn't really offend her agenda, and in some ways helps it slightly.

Remember, she's not a neo-lib.  Ruling FOR civil asset forfeiture would go against her beliefs even if there wasn't a constitutional issue in play.  Either way, I agree with her on this one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called it first in the Pet Semetary thread.  She died, was buried in the Pet Semetary, she came back but is  now a constitutional conservative.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We really haven't developed at all since the Magna Charta.  The main motivation 800 years ago was excessive fines by the king and his stooges.
View Quote
And THAT is exactly why the Constitution is NOT a living document. The constitution is about governing people and people have not changed. Until the human brain evolves and somehow becomes incapable of greed, violence, and malice the consitution does not need to be, and should NOT be, a living document.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Third thread on this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And THAT is exactly why the Constitution is NOT a living document. The constitution is about governing people and people have not changed. Until the human brain evolves and somehow becomes incapable of greed, violence, and malice the consitution does not need to be, and should NOT be, a living document.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It IS a living document. See the article V process.

Unfortunately we have let our elected officials circumvent, twist, and redefine the Constitution using unconstitutional means for the last 100 years or so give or take a century. It is nobodies fault but our own. As we speak they continue to infringe on the constitution  and we do nothing to stop them. Our founders faught a revolution for far less. We are, as a people, spineless and lack the intestinal fortitude to stand against it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Impossible, the brainiacs here said she has been dead for months now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I called it first in the Pet Semetary thread.  She died, was buried in the Pet Semetary, she came back but is  now a constitutional conservative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps someone on the surgical team made  some hypnotic suggestions while she was under.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#13]
TIL that 5-4 SCOTUS decisions are in the minority (19%) of cases, and 9-0 unanimous decisions are the majority (36%).
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
hmm some veryyyy interesting lines in the ruling about rights being incorporated vs states.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.

Repeal the NFA.
View Quote
Yep. When the $200 tax Stamp was imposed in 1934, it was quite a large amount, equivalent to $3,746 in our day. I would expect the next Democrat president regime to raise it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Huh, she was right.
Die already, cunt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Unfortunately we have let our elected officials circumvent, twist, and redefine the Constitution using unconstitutional means for the last 100 years or so give or take a century. It is nobodies fault but our own. As we speak they continue to infringe on the constitution  and we do nothing to stop them. Our founders faught a revolution for far less. We are, as a people, spineless and lack the intestinal fortitude to stand against it.
View Quote
Constitution is about limiting government
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
To me this reasonable rational ruling is fairly convincing evidence that all her work is being ghost written
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The embarassing 2nd always gets their jimmies rustled no matter rights.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Her reasoning was flawed but the ruling was right. Thomas's and Gorsuch's concurrence should have made the majority opinion. Fyi, Gorsuch cited to Thomas's concurrence in McDonald.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I concur with the decision.

And since it was a 9-0 decision, its not just a good idea - its the law.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.

Repeal the NFA.
View Quote
Fucking THIS! $200 tax for NO reason, literally zero potential benefit to society, or anyone else. Sounds like the definition of exorbinate to me Ruth!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep. When the $200 tax Stamp was imposed in 1934, it was quite a large amount, equivalent to $3,746 in our day. I would expect the next Democrat president regime to raise it quite a bit.
View Quote
How it was not considered confiscatory I’ll never know.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is a robot, our top men worked on it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe they screwed up and used a conservative for her body double?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#27]
This ruling only applies to drug dealers.

Gun owners will NOT be extended the same courtesies.

5-4 with Roberts joining the communist caucus IF they ever bring up a case which I doubt.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How it was not considered confiscatory I’ll never know.
View Quote
Because FDR was a fascist dictator.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#29]
The purpose of the timing is to close off the avenue of siezures being used to fund a border wall
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you Captain obvious.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The purpose of the timing is to close off the avenue of siezures being used to fund a border wall
View Quote
Hadn't thought of that angle.  But it being a heroin dealer, yeah, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
It looks that way.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hadn't thought of that angle.  But it being a heroin dealer, yeah, that makes sense.
View Quote
Nothing happens by accident with these people. The offered justification is never the  real reason
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nothing happens by accident with these people. The offered justification is never the  real reason
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's still the correct ruling, however.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think there is a legal difference between “ill gotten gains” and a government fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's possible..but these opinions were likely written a while ago. Plus the citing of previous 2A related cases can't be a coincidence.  I think this is pointed directly at the NYC case. If I was red Billy I wouldn't be feeling confident.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think there is a legal difference between “ill gotten gains” and a government fine.
View Quote
can we dispense with the fiction that RBG and the rest of the communist caucus gives a fuck about legalities?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's still the correct ruling, however.
View Quote
I'm not a purist. I'm fine with someone doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

it's useful to understand the reason though. That way, you're not blindsided by inconsistency when they go a different direction for political convenience in the future
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#40]
She’s right ordered but not correct

See Thomas’  argument below the RBG authored opinion
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's possible..but these opinions were likely written a while ago. Plus the citing of previous 2A related cases can't be a coincidence.  I think this is pointed directly at the NYC case. If I was red Billy I wouldn't be feeling confident.
View Quote
A while ago, but after the 2016 election
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm not a purist. I'm fine with someone doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

it's useful to understand the reason though. That way, you're not blindsided by inconsistency when they go a different direction for political convenience in the future
View Quote
which is why gun owners getting excited over this is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wish people on our side understood that commies are gonna commie and the implications of same
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wish people on our side understood that commies are gonna commie and the implications of same
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are long past the time when I've trusted the federal or state government(s) to do anything right for the right reasons.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its important to maintain the fiction.

Lets pretend for a moment that there is an active group of people seeking to destroy the constitution and the american form of government in the pursuit of a one world government and globalist agenda.

Lets pretend they have control of the courts, the federal bureaucracy, the media, the culture and the richest people in the world.

Lets also pretend that you have a bunch of bad ass internet cowboys who have a III% patch on their helmet at home with PVS-15s.

So do we maintain the facade and our comfortable way of life that this is simply a disagreement on interpretation?  And trust to the courts and the FBI and the Media to do the right thing?  Just ignorance on their part, right?

Or do we maintain our self-image of guardians of the constitution and get arrested, or shot, or fired and ruin our lives (and, more to the point, our families' lives) in some quixote-esque blaze of short lived (and most likely mocked) resistance?

RBG was lead council for the ACLU, an organization dedicated to the destruction of the US Constitution in support of global communism.

She doesn't give a fuck about the 8th or any other amendment.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We are long past the time when I've trusted the federal or state government(s) to do anything right for the right reasons.
View Quote
Didn't mean it to be directed at you, just a general statement
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Its important to maintain the fiction.

Lets pretend for a moment that there is an active group of people seeking to destroy the constitution and the american form of government in the pursuit of a one world government and globalist agenda.

Lets pretend they have control of the courts, the federal bureaucracy, the media, the culture and the richest people in the world.

Lets also pretend that you have a bunch of bad ass internet cowboys who have a III% patch on their helmet at home with PVS-15s.

So do we maintain the facade and our comfortable way of life that this is simply a disagreement on interpretation?  And trust to the courts and the FBI and the Media to do the right thing?  Just ignorance on their part, right?

Or do we maintain our self-image of guardians of the constitution and get arrested, or shot, or fired and ruin our lives (and, more to the point, our families' lives) in some quixote-esque blaze of short lived (and most likely mocked) resistance?

RBG was lead council for the ACLU, an organization dedicated to the destruction of the US Constitution in support of global communism.

She doesn't give a fuck about the 8th or any other amendment.
View Quote
Word. (Eta they don't want the frog to know the pot is boiling)
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
TIL that 5-4 SCOTUS decisions are in the minority (19%) of cases, and 9-0 unanimous decisions are the majority (36%).
View Quote
36% is staggering?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you're saying that the obvious logical consistencies between this and potential 2A cases doesn't matter because libs aren't logical and have no problem ignoring this precedent?  Ok I'll buy that.

I still think its significant that the conservative judges cited previous 2a cases...at the same time they granted cert to a 2a case.  They've been pretending they never happened for a decade.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top