Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2018 3:08:03 PM EDT
I've been trying to decide between a Ruger American Rimfire and the Savage FV-SR for my first .22lr suppressor host. I just came across this bad boy (previous thread on it was Archived).

Kinda ugly, but it takes 10/22 mags, has an adjustable stock, free float rail, threaded... everything I wanted out of the box. I was leaning FV-SR but once I put a stock on it I'd be close to the RPR.

Street price looks to be around $400 but everywhere I've looked is sold out. I think it was just released this year?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen two at local gun/pawnshops already. $389 and tax.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you fondle it at all? One review complains about a rough action and the stock feeling flimsy
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Did you fondle it at all? One review complains about a rough action and the stock feeling flimsy
View Quote
Yes I did. I was somewhat disappointed that the rear portion of the stock is made of plastic. I would have preferred a "real" chassis system made entirely of aluminium. But, that would of course cost more....The stock appears adequate. This is not a true "Precision Rifle"......it's a "target grade" rifle. More accurate than a plinker, but it's no 40X or Anschutz, nor is intended to be or costs what one of those would....The action I felt was plenty smooth- for what it is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just got a CDNN email with these for $449.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Woof, they could have done a much better job on the aesthetics on that chassis. I suppose it's meant for performance over looks though but damn.

An American is on my short list as I really want a bolt 22 but I think I'll stick with the original
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Woof, they could have done a much better job on the aesthetics on that chassis. I suppose it's meant for performance over looks though but damn.

An American is on my short list as I really want a bolt 22 but I think I'll stick with the original
View Quote
The heavy barrel wood stock version is a pretty sexy rifle. Was looking at getting one before these came along.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just got a CDNN email with these for $449.
View Quote
Ouch!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Saw one a couple weeks ago at a gun show.  Latest KY Gun add has it on sale.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Saw one a couple weeks ago at a gun show.  Latest KY Gun add has it on sale.
View Quote
Wow, $380, that's a good price!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]

I built one.  At 100 yards, from a rest, capable of 3/4 MOA with CCI Green Tag.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Fugly
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good god that's an ugly rifle.

Not so patiently waiting for Boyd's to ship my At One for my RAR  The quality on their molded stocks isn't the best.  My has a slight turn in it and fails the dollar bill test

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/TZZREnEm.jpg

I built one.  At 100 yards, from a rest, capable of 3/4 MOA with CCI Green Tag.
View Quote
That's a... curious bolt action you got there
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Flame me all you want, I think it's FUGLY.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you feel the same way about ALL chassis rifles or just that particular chassis?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine is going back to ruger again.(read it's already been back once). They can't seem to get the handguard and barrel aligned properly.

Aside from that it's a fun little gun. My son loves it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a phased plasma rifle in the 40watt range.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]
You will be much better off with the B22 FVSR

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/B22FVSR

They fixed the crappy mags on the MK II ( I have a MKII and they are not that bad but are worse than the 10/22 mags) and cheaper.

Plus unlike the MKII they stock is actually usable from the factory. Pony up another 130 for a stock (I went for a rimfire hunter) and you are GTG.

picture of my rimfire for reasons of pictures
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Savage mags really really suck
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You will be much better off with the B22 FVSR

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/B22FVSR

They fixed the crappy mags on the MK II ( I have a MKII and they are not that bad but are worse than the 10/22 mags) and cheaper.

Plus unlike the MKII they stock is actually usable from the factory. Pony up another 130 for a stock (I went for a rimfire hunter) and you are GTG.

picture of my rimfire for reasons of pictures
View Quote
I bought one like yours, complete with the same Boyds stock (Pepper), DIP bottom metal and a 20 Minute rail......Not all that impressed with it quite honestly...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I bought one, complete with the same Boyds stock (Pepper), DIP bottom metal and a 20 Minute rail......Not all that impressed with it quite honestly...
View Quote
In what way did it not meet your expectations?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In what way did it not meet your expectations?
View Quote
After all the messing around gathering up the "right parts" etc....It was not all that accurate. It's not a 1 MOA gun by any means. More like 2 MOA. That's not really acceptable for the level of tinkering I had to do to bring it all together. I have an ancient BSA Martini that will shoot rings around it and that thing has 1. Seen a few miles 2. Didn't exactly have the benefits of "modern machining" etc....3. They cost me about the same money by the time it was all said and done...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

After all the messing around gathering up the "right parts" etc....It was not all that accurate. It's not a 1 MOA gun by any means. More like 2 MOA. That's not really acceptable for the level of tinkering I had to do to bring it all together.
View Quote
That's a shame.How did it shoot from the factory?

Mine was nails with the crap stock just not very comfortable. Stock did not change accuracy for me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

The primary reason I bought it was to use as a cheap trainer. It has the same trigger, grip, LOP and bolt throw as my .308.

In that role I think it's a great product. (Providing they can get their shit straight)
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do you feel the same way about ALL chassis rifles or just that particular chassis?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obviously I'm not speaking for him, but I think this rifle is UGLY and I find most chassis rifles to be good looking.

That said, it's purpose isn't really supposed to be a ultra accurate precision rifle despite the name. This is simply a trainer rifle for the centerfire Ruger Precision Rifle. This is obvious by making the bolt pull length equal on both rifles, despite the .22lr obviously needed much much less pull length.

OP, if all you want is a fairly accurate and inexpensive bolt action .22lr then any of the Ruger American Rimfire rifles will work. So will that Savage FV-SR.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26478/267DCC9E-D12E-41F8-8306-A43593665801-459796.JPG
The primary reason I bought it was to use as a cheap trainer. It has the same trigger, grip, LOP and bolt throw as my .308.

In that role I think it's a great product. (Providing they can get their shit straight)
View Quote
Is the stock flimsy or decent?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Mine was nails with the crap stock just not very comfortable. Stock did not change accuracy for me.
View Quote
Worse. The stock did make some improvement but not much. I was hoping when I bought it that that would be the ticket....I think maybe I just got a lemon after hearing everyone rave about how well they shoot. Mine does not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is the stock flimsy or decent?
View Quote
It's not flimsy at all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Worse. The stock did make some improvement but not much. I was hoping when I bought it that that would be the ticket....I think maybe I just got a lemon after hearing everyone rave about how well they shoot. Mine does not.
View Quote
Dump it, sell the stock and get a Ruger lol.

I dislike overall cheapness of the gun and the garbage factory stock (the B22 improved on those a bit) but accuracy was never an issue.

I think you got a lemon barrel.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's not flimsy at all.
View Quote
Sounds great in that case. I would prefer a 16" barrel but a sub $400 rimfire with a decent (adjustable even) stock is hard to pass on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dump it, sell the stock and get a Ruger lol.

I dislike overall cheapness of the gun and the garbage factory stock (the B22 improved on those a bit) but accuracy was never an issue.

I think you got a lemon barrel.
View Quote
Had it at last two gunshows with that very plan! Was originally going to buy one of the HVB, wood stock Rugers.....Might still do that but I like the Precision too...
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sounds great in that case. I would prefer a 16" barrel but a sub $400 rimfire with a decent (adjustable even) stock is hard to pass on.
View Quote
If you can find a place with several of them you should check to ensure the barrel is centered in the handguard. Mine is not centered vertically or horizontally.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Palmetto has them @$529
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#34]
It is fugly for sure.

*I have a couple chassis rifles.

I might get over the look if they make one in 22mag.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was interested in those rifles when they first came out, oddly I heard more bad things about them than good which changed my mind on them. It's unfortunate you got a lemon and/or bad advice!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Good god that's an ugly rifle.

Not so patiently waiting for Boyd's to ship my At One for my RAR  The quality on their molded stocks isn't the best.  My has a slight turn in it and fails the dollar bill test

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/3FAB775A-3357-45AE-BD27-99ADB9F0BED1-459769.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/CEFAF248-9306-4160-8BA5-9EEAFE0E0F42-459771.JPG
View Quote
My new goal in life is to have a shooting bench in my spare bedroom and a range outside the window
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My new goal in life is to have a shooting bench in my spare bedroom and a range outside the window
View Quote
 I just need to trim a few branches and finish my new backstop and I can shoot out to 150 yards from there
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#38]
My gripe with the RPR is the plastic stock and plastic chassis.  They would have a winner if it was an aluminum chassis like the MDT LSS-22 which is where my money will go when I get around to upgrading my bone stock RAR this year.  It will cost a couple hundred dollars more than the RPR once complete but it will be top quality and no plastic.  It's available for about a half dozen different rifles currently with more on the way.

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My gripe with the RPR is the plastic stock and plastic chassis.  They would have a winner if it was an aluminum chassis like the MDT LSS-22 which is where my money will go when I get around to upgrading my bone stock RAR this year.  It will cost a couple hundred dollars more than the RPR once complete but it will be top quality and no plastic.  It's available for about a half dozen different rifles currently with more on the way.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1735/0149/products/web_nav__0003_LSS-22_0364_a4059e1f-ee5f-44a7-8fb5-5498da0e081e_1024x1024.jpg?v=1500934014
View Quote
You can't expect a $400 rifle to come in a $400 chassis
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You can't expect a $400 rifle to come in a $400 chassis
View Quote
He didn't mention anything about cost

We both know Ruger could have put that gun in a metal chassis for far less than MDT charges anyways, even if it would increase the base cost of the rifle.

MDT makes their standard american chassis out of aluminum instead of plastic for a reason, and it's not just so they can charge more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

He didn't mention anything about cost

We both know Ruger could have put that gun in a metal chassis for far less than MDT charges anyways, even if it would increase the base cost of the rifle.

MDT makes their standard american chassis out of aluminum instead of plastic for a reason, and it's not just so they can charge more.
View Quote
How about this then. You can't expect a $929.00 ruger rimfire to sell as much or bring as much revenue as a $529 ruger rimfire.

When it comes to bolt action rimfires ceiling hits pretty hard when you get close to 1000 and into the price range of the better rifles.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like this gun isnt the magic bullet that I was hoping it to be. I like the Savage but the complaints about their mags are widespread. How is Savage with warranty/returns? I dealt with Ruger's C/S on a SP101 that had timing issues, and they bent over backwards to make it right.

I just want all the accuracy I can get under $500. If I go with the Savage or RAR, I can afford to put a nicer scope on it. Budgeting around $250 for glass. I want a nice hole puncher at 100 yards. Bolt guns have never been my thing and I'm hoping to get into them this way
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I just want all the accuracy I can get under $500. If I go with the Savage or RAR, I can afford to put a nicer scope on it. Budgeting around $250 for glass. I want a nice hole puncher at 100 yards. Bolt guns have never been my thing and I'm hoping to get into them this way
View Quote
From my experience rimfire accuracy is about the barrel and ammo. This gun is giving you an upgraded adjustable stock that functions like their centerfire rifle, not upgraded accuracy. So your limited budget isn't really wisely used with it.

Are you planning to shoot exclusively at 100 yards? No hunting or 50 yard shooting? If so just get a centerfire scope with correct parallax.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How about this then. You can't expect a $929.00 ruger rimfire to sell as much or bring as much revenue as a $529 ruger rimfire.

When it comes to bolt action rimfires ceiling hits pretty hard when you get close to 1000 and into the price range of the better rifles.
View Quote
First off, there is no way a metal chassis brings it's msrp up to basically the same point their RPR is at. The RPR is the proof that Ruger can do the job right and still bring a gun to market at a price that basically no one else was competing at.

Secondly, I assure you this rifle was never designed to be sold in the quantities that the regular American Rimfire, American Rimfire Target, and American Rimfire Compact are sold in. It's only purpose is to offer a training rifle for the RPR and an OE option for people who want a chassis rifle. In either one of those scenarios the price is a lot less important than what the rifle offers. If you want a trainer then you want a gun that most accurately mimics your RPR and whether this gun has a plastic chassis or metal this is the only way to do that. If you want a chassis rifle then you already know the costs involved of purchasing a aftermarket chassis for a rifle. If you wanted something inexpensive then you just have to open a tapco catalog.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like this gun isnt the magic bullet that I was hoping it to be. I like the Savage but the complaints about their mags are widespread. How is Savage with warranty/returns? I dealt with Ruger's C/S on a SP101 that had timing issues, and they bent over backwards to make it right.

View Quote
I think you are on the right track.

If I didn't have an RPR I probably wouldn't have bought the RPRf.

It's biggest value is really just as a trainer to it's big brother imo
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

First off, there is no way a metal chassis brings it's msrp up to basically the same point their RPR is at. The RPR is the proof that Ruger can do the job right and still bring a gun to market at a price that basically no one else was competing at.

Secondly, I assure you this rifle was never designed to be sold in the quantities that the regular American Rimfire, American Rimfire Target, and American Rimfire Compact are sold in. It's only purpose is to offer a training rifle for the RPR and an OE option for people who want a chassis rifle. In either one of those scenarios the price is a lot less important than what the rifle offers. If you want a trainer then you want a gun that most accurately mimics your RPR and whether this gun has a plastic chassis or metal this is the only way to do that. If you want a chassis rifle then you already know the costs involved of purchasing a aftermarket chassis for a rifle. If you wanted something inexpensive then you just have to open a tapco catalog.
View Quote
Replied before reading this. You are right on the money.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
The FV-SR is praised for it's accuracy quite often. I have no experience with their mags though. A lot of people choose to replace the stock saying it's flimsy and not shaped well for scoped shooting.

I've heard mixed things about the Ruger American's accuracy, mine shoots great and is a standard model. I would think if you went with their target model that you would have better odds of a good shooter, although their synthetic stock has the replaceable portion for a cheek riser.

https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/specSheets/8348.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow, that's hideous!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@VTDefender

What scope do you have on yours?  I got to handle one and I’m buying one but not sure about the scope yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
First, we both agree the stock is not that awesome and is cheap. You are basically saying it is below the standard which you consider a rifle such as this should even be released. With this in mind they are already charging 529 dollars, 100 dollar premium on the threaded 18" 8351 model that has a STAINLESS barrel and a stock with adjustable cheek rise and LOP.

OP get that sucker!! Stainless 18" Ruger

Second, every rifle they sell they hope to do one thing which is maximize profits. They might be trying to sell this to an 18 year old kid who cannot afford their centerfire rifle and hopes to play with this until he can.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top