Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/23/2021 11:50:30 PM EDT
I've been itching to buy one of these for a long time.  Since I have everything else I can think of squared away, I figure I'll just buy one.  

Haven't paid attention to .22lr guns in years so I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to generational differences.  From what I can see, everybody absolutely raves about the mk IV because of it's quick takedown, improved ergonomics with controls, and I guess a ton of aftermarket support with uppers/parts.  Just curious if it's worth the extra $150 or so compared to a NIB Mk III?  I'm using gunbroker for a reference and I see a NIB blued mk III for $299 while the mk IV seems to start around $450.  

What are your thoughts between the two if you had to pick only one.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The mk4 took the mk3’s biggest weakness and turned it into one of its biggest strengths
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
MKII. I don't know if the MKIV has the mag safety and loaded chamber indicator of the MKIII, but those two are dealbreakers for me. So until I know those two are absent, anytime the question is "Which 22/45?" my answer will be MKII.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Never used a mkIV so I can't comment on the ergonomic differences

But earlier ruger's aren't that difficult to get apart and reassemble. Use youtube the first few times if needed

So if you really like cleaning guns often and want it to be press a button easy to take apart, it might be worth the difference
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never used a mkIV so I can't comment on the ergonomic differences

But earlier ruger's aren't that difficult

So if you really like cleaning guns often and want it to be press a button easy to take apart, it might be worth the difference
View Quote

Why would the MKIV mean cleaning it more often?  

I'm also totally fine with the MKIII's design having a MkII (non-22/45) that I shortened, threaded, and relocated the sight on.  I agree it's not difficult once you figure out the trick to re-assembly.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Browning Buck Mark
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#6]
MKIV. No questions.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The MK IV is for the mechanically challenged.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MKIV. No questions.
View Quote

I have one....why?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The only one I have ever handled is the mark 4 22/45 lite I just picked up a week ago. I got it set up with my AAC suppressor and a Vortex Venom. I love it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
MKII.
Very nice choice.

I don't know if the MKIV has the mag safety and loaded chamber indicator of the MKIII, but those two are dealbreakers for me.
MKIV has the mag safety, which is easily bypassed with a $20 part from Tandemkross;
https://www.tandemkross.com/Blast-Shield-Magazine-Disconnect-Replacement-for-Ruger%C2%AE-MKIV%E2%84%A2and-MKIV%E2%84%A2-2245%E2%84%A2_p_444.html
The loaded chamber indicator is why I never wanted a MkIII. Maybe it can be deleted, but it would still be obvious.

So until I know those two are absent, anytime the question is "Which 22/45?" my answer will be MKII.
Both II and IV are good choices.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I dislike my mkIV 22/45 lite.

It is easy to clean, I'll give it that.

Last range trip, the rear site about walked off the pistol. Two trips ago, it was the front site.

It was keyholing cci standard at 7yds with the suppressor.

And the top rail with the vortex venom on it loosened significantly.

I don't envision I will own this much longer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Have both and MKIV all the way, takedown is way more simple.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The MK IV is for the mechanically challenged.
View Quote

Otherwise the cheaper MKIII.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Like others have said, I prefer the MK II's and MK IV's (once you install the "blast shield" mag safety delete in the MK IV).
My Precision Pistol league gun is a MK IV Tactical, which has a MantisX mounted to the lower rail.
To those who have rails coming loose, a drop of Blue Loctite on the screws will fix that problem.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#15]
My stainless Marc IV is really nice. Ok trigger.  Ez to take down as others have said. Like 8 seconds to disassemble to put back together. Sights are so so but that's personal preference.0 It'll eat any ammo without fail. Accuracy is solid but not as good as my 1950's era Colt match target.  Great gun for kids to start with for sure!  Buy the Ruger if you can find one.  Not cheep!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#16]
The MKIII LCI is that gay shit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

LCI?  What is that?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:32:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LCI?  What is that?
View Quote

Loaded chamber indicator
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#19]
If you can properly locate the G spot on a woman than go with the MKIII, otherwise dont buy one and take it apart..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you can properly locate the G spot on a woman than go with the MKIII, otherwise dont buy one and take it apart..
View Quote

Being a sex therapist comes in handy here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't know about the MK4 trigger but the MK3 22/45 trigger was garbage.
$100 bought the six-pac of upgrades from TK.
Included the firing pin, the mag disconnect, extractor, LCI delete, extended mag release (didn't use it) and slingshot upgrade.
$50 from VQ got a trigger and sear.
So for $150 on top of the initial $300, I made a very nice target shooter.
Top off with firesights and/or red dot and a good time can be had.
The takedown was still a pain in the dick but improved without the mag disconnect.

Is all of that worth it over the MK4? Maybe, maybe not. At a $100+ premium, the MK4 still has the mag connect and LCI.
Don't know about the slingshot.

What do you want from life?

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#22]
MkIV

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know about the MK4 trigger but the MK3 22/45 trigger was garbage.
View Quote

Mine is good.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I like my mkiv

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:53:20 AM EDT
[#25]
MkIII owner here - get the MkIV.  I won't spend the money to "upgrade" mine since function is the same, it's really mainly a win in the disassembly/reassembly department, but given the price difference, yeah, if I had the choice now I'd got MkIV.  

Look at it this way, the only "downside" to the MkIV is a little extra money - and in just about every other choice, Arfcom would tell you to err on the side of buying "better" than what you "need"...  You're only "loss" to buying the MkIV vs MkIII is *maybe* having spent a little more money than you had to.  

The alternative is possibly kicking yourself repeatedly if/when the MkIII annoys you...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
MKII. I don't know if the MKIV has the mag safety and loaded chamber indicator of the MKIII, but those two are dealbreakers for me. So until I know those two are absent, anytime the question is "Which 22/45?" my answer will be MKII.
View Quote

Replaced those parts in my MKIII 22/45 with a TandomKross combo kit and it resolved all of the issues I was having with mine. Was having multiple extraction and ejection issues with every mag, no matter the ammo I used. The only thing I installed, but later removed, because I didn't like it, was the extended mag release. Has been 100% reliable even with shitty 15 year old Fed Bulk since. Was getting ready to sell it because of the issues, but not now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Browning Buck Mark
View Quote

Absolutely not. The Buckmark I had was garbage compared to my Mk IV. The trigger is mushy and heavy, the slide operation is gritty even after thoroughly cleaning it, and it requires removing screws to field strip for cleaning. Were it not for the ongoing panic buying and such, I don't think people would really be buying Buckmarks anymore. For a dedicated .22 pistol it's Ruger or bust.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. And easily removed.

Lawyers....
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I dislike my mkIV 22/45 lite.

It is easy to clean, I'll give it that.

Last range trip, the rear site about walked off the pistol. Two trips ago, it was the front site.

It was keyholing cci standard at 7yds with the suppressor.

And the top rail with the vortex venom on it loosened significantly.

I don't envision I will own this much longer.
View Quote

All three of the items you described as coming loose have set screws securing them in place. I just checked on my own Mk IV 22/45 Lite.

Are you mad at the product because you don't know how to use Loc-tite?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
MkIII owner here - get the MkIV.  I won't spend the money to "upgrade" mine since function is the same, it's really mainly a win in the disassembly/reassembly department, but given the price difference, yeah, if I had the choice now I'd got MkIV.  

Look at it this way, the only "downside" to the MkIV is a little extra money - and in just about every other choice, Arfcom would tell you to err on the side of buying "better" than what you "need"...  You're only "loss" to buying the MkIV vs MkIII is *maybe* having spent a little more money than you had to.  

The alternative is possibly kicking yourself repeatedly if/when the MkIII annoys you...
View Quote

Some decent points.  The assembly isn't really an issue for me personally as I've shared....but spending the extra money now is always a non-issue and glad I did later.  I joined the buy once cry once club years ago.

Now I have a real problem spending $800-$1k on a 22/45.  But I'll look for a <$500 threaded Mkiv 22/45 and hope I find a new one available or buy the cheapest MkIV I can find and have someone thread it for me or buy a $150-$200 upper.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Either one you buy, just think of it as an empty shell to insert premium parts into.... I have a MKIII that I can ping a 4 inch gong at 100 yards easily after replacing all the moving parts inside
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#32]
@Smashy

What grips are those? I like those a lot......

The only thing I don't like about Mk4 Lite is that the barrel bushing came off with the suppressor and now I have to send it back in......
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't get all the hate for mk ll reassembly. Yeah, it can take about 5 minutes to get it all back together, but its not rocket science. I've been taking mine apart, and putting back together since I bought in the early 80's. I will admit all that wear and tear does make the reassembly easier.  Just kind of snaps back together now. But I love that pistol. Sweet shooting, sweet handling.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:10:55 AM EDT
[#34]
I should get one too. After owning a bunch I am pretty sure every .22 pistol out there that is based on, converts from, or even looks like a regular centerfire pistol is junk. Rugers are where it's at.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Mark 4, better in every way. Ita impressive when a company actually fixes product flaws.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:12:56 AM EDT
[#36]
If you can't take a MKI/II/III apart and get it back together with relative ease...you're a donut and you don't deserve to own guns
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:19:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I like my Mk IV 22/45 Lite

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:20:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@Smashy

What grips are those? I like those a lot......
View Quote

Altamont, the company that makes Ruger's grips for them. They have a lot of styles to choose from, but they were sold out of most stuff for along time. There's been more stuff back in stock off and on lately, no telling how long until various  items sell out again.

https://www.altamontco.com/

One thing to note about the wraparound grip like mine (if it matters to you) is that it's very thick (to fill the hand), which means a one-handed mag release is almost impossible unless you have Edward Scissorhands thumbs. I have to use the thumb of my other hand. But the gun is just a range toy for me, so tactical type mag changes are a non-issue in my case.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. ^^^
I have a Standard Model (think MK1), and several MKII's. It is not hard to assemble if you follow the instructions and look at the interaction of the parts. I don't want magazine safeties or LCI's.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:27:21 AM EDT
[#40]
How is this even a question.

If you even think about getting any Ruger except a Mark IV then just go ahead and do yourself a favor and punch yourself in the dick for 5 straight minutes. Then go buy 2 Mark IVs
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a bunch of 22/45 magazines, so for me the MK ii is out.

I spent $1000 on a Volquartsen LLV which is their version of a 22/45, with a metal lower.   It's the best goddamn 22 I own, and I own a few.  Points great, fabulous trigger, fiber optic front sight, threaded.  Rail on the top if I want to play with an optic.  Best money I spent, if I can afford to buy more 22 any time soon.

That being said, I took it apart the other week and locked it up because I'm a dumbass.  Had the goddamn instructions right there, but didn't bother to look at them til after.  Oh, that's what I did wrong.  Had to disassemble quite a few things to get it unlocked and back together.

I wanted to buy a Mark IV, but I wanted the metal lower that the LLV has. Now I have really learned a memorable lesson about disassembly, so I doubt I will make the same mistake again.

So my vote is to spend the extra money on the Mark IV and avoid the disassembly problems.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:30:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
MKII. I don't know if the MKIV has the mag safety and loaded chamber indicator of the MKIII, but those two are dealbreakers for me.
View Quote

They're also both quite easily removable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you can't take a MKI/II/III apart and get it back together with relative ease...you're a donut and you don't deserve to own guns
View Quote

My time is valuable. When you have a gun like the Mk IV that takes apart with just the press of a button and flick of a wrist, and vice-versa for reassembly, that's a serious selling point. Especially when it's used as a suppressor host and gets dirty as hell every single time I shoot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

All three of the items you described as coming loose have set screws securing them in place. I just checked on my own Mk IV 22/45 Lite.

Are you mad at the product because you don't know how to use Loc-tite?
View Quote

My time is valuable too, I shouldn't have to use my time and purple loctite on factory installed parts on a 22.

The OP asked about the pistol.  I'm telling him my experience and letting him know if he goes with the mkIV lite, he may need to buy some thread locker if he doesn't have any.  Blue was suggested above, but I like purple for this application.  

Yes, loctite has since fixed those loose items on my mkIV.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Own a Mk3, want a Mk4
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:16:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your a 21er, you donut have enough time on this board to be calling me a donut...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:17:34 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a mark iv standard (luger) frame. Its all metal compared to the 22/45 frame. As far as mark III/4 I have owned both. The Mark 4 tactical standard is leaps better than the 3 and the ease of takedown takes the cake since I shoot suppressed.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:20:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Mark IV from Turnbull Restoration:
https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My time is valuable too, I shouldn't have to use my time and purple loctite on factory installed parts on a 22.

The OP asked about the pistol.  I'm telling him my experience and letting him know if he goes with the mkIV lite, he may need to buy some thread locker if he doesn't have any.  Blue was suggested above, but I like purple for this application.  

Yes, loctite has since fixed those loose items on my mkIV.
View Quote

Some guns do require a bit of tuning and work out of the box to make them perfect. That's just the nature of our modern economy where we demand the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel prices on everything.

If the one-time task of going over a new gun and putting loctite on the critical screws is too much for you (as evidenced by your "My time is valuable" remarks), then maybe you should find a simpler hobby.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:30:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Apparently the mk3 will fire if you drop it and it lands on the loaded chamber indicator. I guess they eventually fixed it later by changing it to a plastic one.

The Mk4 is sweet. I need one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top