Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Rucking questions (Page 7 of 11)
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I did 2.3 MI with 25#.  17 min pace.  Florida, so flatlander, but happy with my 60 yr old ass surviving.  I walk with the pack 1 to 2 times a week.  Other days w/o weight.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:46:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tcfla] [#2]
Negligent discharge.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 57plymouth:
I also did my first walk with weight.  I don't know that I'd call it a ruck, but whatever.  Right at 3 miles with 15 pounds including the bag.  Keep in mind I'm fat; 250 pounds and 5'10".  It was harder by far than the same walk yesterday with no weight.

I think this will help me greatly in my efforts to stop being fat.  

Now to keep up the momentum I've had going, with the added weight and work towards more weight.
View Quote

Nice, keep it up.

Look at it this way, every pound of fat you lose is another pound you can carry at the same level of effort. And that ignores any improvements in conditioning. It can snowball in a totally good way if you keep at it.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Entered thread expecting something else. No rugby no care.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:15:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#5]
Attachment Attached File

Missed last week's ruck due to my back being sore (didn't want to push my luck). This week it's ok, so I figured I'll do a ruck today & Thursday

Visited a friend and did a 3 mile ruck with 35lbs in under 15min/mile!

I really busted my butt with this ruck
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Started back in on the rucking this week. 4mi with 45# plate on the treadmill on Monday with 3.5mph and a 3inc.

Today was 5mi, 3.6mph, 45# plate and a 3 Inc.

Getting ready for a GORUCK HTB in October.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PKT1106:
Started back in on the rucking this week. 4mi with 45# plate on the treadmill on Monday with 3.5mph and a 3inc.

Today was 5mi, 3.6mph, 45# plate and a 3 Inc.

Getting ready for a GORUCK HTB in October.
View Quote
Nice man!

I feel like doing a GORUCK event. But I still need more training
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Inspired by this thread:

Wife bought us some gorucks for my birthday. We took them out on their maiden voyage today. She had 10 and I had 30 pounds (even the boots that were recommended on an earlier page, and I haven’t bought combat boots in 14 years. These were great).

Thanks for the recs and motivation everyone.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Edge-To-Life:
Inspired by this thread:

Wife bought us some gorucks for my birthday. We took them out on their maiden voyage today. She had 10 and I had 30 pounds (even the boots that were recommended on an earlier page, and I haven't bought combat boots in 14 years. These were great).

Thanks for the recs and motivation everyone.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343031/1C1A43E3-525C-44E0-B9EE-5F4B7E4F1F19_jpe-2781138.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343031/65C98000-449E-4A7A-9325-C486AA5ADE74_png-2781139.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Finished off the week with a 4mi Ruck on the treadmill. 3.6mph, and started at 3inc and went to 6 incline by the end. 45#. The feet are feeling it a little. Makes 13mi for this week.

I'm following the GORUCK Heavy training plan and just finished week one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]

I should go for a ruck after dinner.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#12]
4mi on Monday and 8mi today. Both with 45# plate. On the treadmill with inclines from 1-3 and 3.5-3.6mph.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Stepped it up and added weight. Not too bad for a couple of middle aged people.

Mine: 40IBS
Hers: 20IBS

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:42:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Because of a huge heel blister, it's high time for new boots. I had Merrell Moab Vents, but I'd line to see what else is out there. Needs to be not waterproof because of the possibility of water ingress in October.

Looking at the Mac-V 1s, but they don't have wide sizes. My normal size is 13W, but im.looking at 14s for the Mac-Vs.

Anyone else, what are tou rucking in for footwear?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Because of a huge heel blister, it's high time for new boots. I had Merrell Moab Vents, but I'd line to see what else is out there. Needs to be not waterproof because of the possibility of water ingress in October.

Looking at the Mac-V 1s, but they don't have wide sizes. My normal size is 13W, but im.looking at 14s for the Mac-Vs.

View Quote

While I haven't measured my feet in a long time, most shoes I buy are 13R or 12.5W if available. I've bought several different GoRuck 'boots' over the years. They DO say "Wide toe box" but it may not be as wide as you want.

• 2019 - I/O Cross Trainers (no longer available), Size 12: Too cramped, not flexible. I still have but haven't worn in years, I should try to sell as they have minimal wear but :effort:

• 2019 - MACV-1 Suede (no longer available), Size 12: Roomier than Cross Trainers, I still really like these. However the sole isn't grippy in wet weather and they squeak; I still wear for office work if I don't need to be sneaky.

• 2020 - MACV-1 "Origins Edition", Size 12.5: Perfect fit for me, I wear these in colder weather for rucking. I don't need dress shoes for work but with a little polish they look really good too. Leather material.

• 2021 - Ballistic Trainers, Size 12.5: Very comfortable, breathable and flexible - I think they're more meant for "cross-fit style" workouts with sandbags and such, but they also work well for rucking, seem to have more padding.

• Nov 2022 - Jedburgh Boots, Size 12.5: Slightly smaller fit as MACV1 - these have more of a canvass material. I haven't had blisters and soreness since I first started rucking years, UNTIL I started wearing these. I was going to look into an exchange but I had already worn them outside in snow.. I thought maybe it was the thicker winter socks I was wearing but I think they were just a bit too small for me. Unfortunately the Black Friday sale was over so I waited until...

• Feb 2023 - Judburgh Boots...... Size 13: Much better fit; I do like the canvass material and the grip is decent enough even in slippery conditions if you're careful. (I would NOT want to take a spill on an elbow with 30+ lb ruck...)

So bottom line: If you're unsure, buy one of each size and return the other. I believe they have a really good return program if there isn't visible wear (wear indoors only etc) - I'm not sure when their next sale is, I believe they DON'T have one for Memorial Day out of respect for the fallen - if you have a government discount it doesn't stack with sales anyway..
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the rundown. My feet are wide, so I just went ahead and got the size 14 coyote suede Macv-1s on order. Lots of people using Altra and Salomons, but I need more ankle support. The Garmont NSFs were a little out of my price range and I didn't want the higher boot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Back at it today with 45# on the treadmill for 5mi. 3 incline and 3.6mph. Used my running shoes while waiting for the MACVs to come in. Had to take the end of last week and the weekend off because if my heel and toe pad blisters. Much better today.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I need to get at it. Been having lower back pain for the last week or so. Nothing crazy but I need to stop using it as an excuse
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
4mi this morning with 45#. The MACVs came in after my Ruck, so ill have to try them Friday for my 6mi training.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
https://www.injinji.com/

then wool socks overtop is how i stay blister free

id break them in inside a little first
View Quote

I have a couple pair of those. They feel weird at first. Never had toe socks. Once I wore them for a little bit, didn't even notice they were on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]

I have a couple pair of those. They feel weird at first. Never had toe socks. Once I wore them for a little bit, didn't even notice they were on.
View Quote

I think I could be considered an expert in the field of rucking...

Some peoples toes do not have enough splay between them, and when the skin becomes swolen/saturated with sweat, the skin on the ends of their toes will slide underneath their other toes and be pushed into blisters.  The injinji toe socks help massively with this.  if it is your first time using them, it will fatigue your feet significantly quicker than you are used to, and it will lead to a very slightly different impact profile and sensation when your foot pushes off of the ground.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#24]
for those of you that want to get good at rucking far and fast but are worried about injuries, here is a pro tip:

One of the keys to rucking is not only aerobic endurance (aka running) but also your legs ability to deal with time under tension for the length of the activity.  Time under tension is a huge aspect of rucking that differs from running, and is difficult to train.  The problem with training for rucking is the fact that both rucking and running are high impact activities that can easily lead to injuries if there is not appropriate tapering and resting cycles.  The way to get some practice with time under tension is to ride a bike.  When I say "ride a bike" I mean you need to push yourself very hard, and have consistent pressure on your leg muscles.  imagine you are racing and not going for a leisurely pedal around town.  You should be pushing yourself and keeping your cadence at a similar cadence that you would have if you were rucking.

Bikes replicate time under tension without having the high impacts and should be used as an additional training routine during your regular rucking workouts to avoid unnecessary wear and tear.   Also, my favorite way to push my longer range speed was what I called a "10 for 10".  You run 5 miles out on a road, and 5 miles back.  give yourself 10 minutes to refuel and change into the proper footwear, and then ruck 5 miles out and 5 miles back.  this allows you to have exhausted yourself from the run and then get under load when your muscles are fatigued.

my 12 mile time (in full uniform, boots, and 35lb dry ruck) was around 1:45, my 18 mile in the same uniform was 3:03, and my 40 miler (off trail in the mountains with a 78lb ruck was 16:01).  These workouts made me successful.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
I need to get at it. Been having lower back pain for the last week or so. Nothing crazy but I need to stop using it as an excuse
View Quote

Google “prone press ups”.  Rucking without perfect form, sitting without perfect posture, or lifting heavy will tend to slightly herniate the disks in your back.  Reversing the motion keeps them in balance
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I would go for a more running oriented show.  Solomon XA mid tops, Altras, or even hokas will do you well
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By mban2:

I would go for a more running oriented show.  Solomon XA mid tops, Altras, or even hokas will do you well
View Quote

A couple people have suggested altra lone peaks and torins. I'm going to try out the MACVs today and see how they do for a short workout. Trying them on and walking around a minute, they do not seem like a good fit for my feet. There is plenty of room in the toes, but the mid foot is squeezing on me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Mid foot and heel causing problems after 1/2 mi walk. Going back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#29]
6mi with 45# last Friday, same today.

Got a pair of Moab 3 low-tops on the way to try. The more I looked into the Altras and other run-type shoes, the more I found zero drop. I remember trying 0 drop shoes before and having issues because of my heel-toe movement.

I also picked up some insoles to try out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Got back into it with a quick 35lb ruck this morning. My heart rate at one point went up to 191
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#31]
My heart rate at one point went up to 191
View Quote

Damn. How old are you?

If my heart rate hits 191, someone needs to call an ambulance. But I'm on the wrong side of 50.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

Damn. How old are you?

If my heart rate hits 191, someone needs to call an ambulance. But I'm on the wrong side of 50.
View Quote
28 y/o

I just got done working a 12hr shift so I was really tired when I started so I really hustled to get sub 15/mile I was mostly around 130-140s but when I was jogging I guess I jumped up that high
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#33]
At 28 you're just under your calculated max at 191bpm.

Probably not dangerous but I wouldn't suggest staying there too long.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 2:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#34]
4mi on Wednesday,  6.5mi today. Was supposed to be 10 today, but a friend needed help. Could have easily finished, so that gives me confidence about training for the HTL. New Merrell MOAB 3s are good. Need some breaking-in, but that's to be expected.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#35]
6mi today, broken up into 3 parts, each 2mi. Some stretching and exercises in between. MOAB 3s are breaking in well. 45# and some incline. Less soreness in the upper back and neck as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#36]
5mi today. 1mi on the treadmill and then 4 outside. Overlubed the treadmill and it made everything to slippery. Imagine that.

45#.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#37]
5mi today. 1mi on the treadmill and then 4 outside. Overlubed the treadmill and it made everything to slippery. Imagine that.

45#.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#38]
8mi today with 45#, outside.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#39]
10mi yesterday with 45#
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#40]
8mi this morning with 45#
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Going to try and go for a ruck in the morning

Been super cold here lately
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

35lb ruck. My brother came with me but he honestly slowed me down a little but I don't care. At least he ia trying

I also need new shoes. My Brooks are worn out and I felt the pavement the whole time
Ordered a pair of On Cloud Monstercloud, everyone at my work highly recommends them (alot of my co-workers are really into fitness/Triathlons and they recommended the monstercloud)

I also want to start running since I lost alot of weight now
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
I think you've convinced me to go back to my 50 lb ruck either tomorrow or sunday

ive been doing 10k steps at 25 for quite some time.

did 50 for several months during the first start of Covid
View Quote

I'm training for a GORUCK HTB in October, so don't let me convince anyone of anything. I still have to do a 25mi overnight training ruck at some point. It will.probably be longer to get ready.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#46]

I'm training for a GORUCK HTB in October, so don't let me convince anyone of anything. I still have to do a 25mi overnight training ruck at some point. It will.probably be longer to get ready.
View Quote
I should do a GORUCK event. I believe there is a easy one? (Like under 10 miles)
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I should do a GORUCK event. I believe there is a easy one? (Like under 10 miles)
View Quote

Basic or Light. All the short ones I've done have been around 7mi.

Basic is the same weight as the longer events, Light is 10# lighter. So, if you're doing a Light and you're over 150#, you carry 20# weight, under 150# is 10#. For the Basic, its 30# & 20#.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#48]
12mi today with 45# dry. Added the 3L Source hydration bladder. 3hrs and 12mins.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#49]
12mi today with 45# dry. Added the 3L Source hydration bladder. 3hrs and 12mins.
View Quote

That's getting after it, nice.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:37:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#50]
5mi with 50# today and full 3L water to start. Couple of times up and down the hill at 100+ ft elevation per trip.
Page / 11
Rucking questions (Page 7 of 11)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top