Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:19:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SNOWPACK:

20# isn't much for mid winter fun in the high country, that's for sure

Mid summer though yeah forget a 40#+ pack
View Quote

For mid winter high country it pushes 25#s.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Truth be told, anything in a true backcountry boreal forest is, in of itself, an obstacle course.
View Quote
Word.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
On rucks themselves, I've only surplus stuff, ALICE large, MOLLE 2, and MOLLE Medium.  The ALICE large straps absolutely killed my shoulders and kidneys, I think I'm way too tall and broad for it, put MOLLE straps on it and its good to go, but that cost ~$40 on top of what I paid for the pack and frame.  The MOLLE 2 and medium are great, I find them very comfortable, and around $120 new surplus.  Poor people stuff, but that's what I got and know.

I go do a few miles a night a few times a week with either my plate carrier or pack, plus one of my kids on my shoulders, and average 4.5 MPH, brisk but not fast.  So I'm out with between 60 to 115 pounds.  My 60 pound nights are just this old 5.11 rush 12 pack that's got 20 loaded pmags and a 3L bladder in it, with my four year old trying to yank leaves off of trees, lol.

Its no big deal now, but if you're just starting out, work up on the weight with a back pack, once you got enough weight on there that it starts aching your shoulders a little you'll know you need something with a belt.  If you went out from nothing with a great fitting pack and 45 pounds and did some miles, you're shins and ankles will be killing you in the morning.  If your insoles are old, I'd go ahead and replace them now before you start.

I enjoy it, keeps my back strong.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll be the token poor I suppose.

I've done all my APC rucks with a Teton Sports Scout 3400 and a pair of Merrell Moabs.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:12:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

Yeah. Nah. I didn't say anything of the sort. And it would fare fine there.
View Quote

Post the contents flatlander

LOL, I am not looking to one-up you, just the other day a bidness associate originally from South America put all of my altitude experience to shame.   There are folks who think nothing of working at elevations which do not exist in the US.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#6]
If I had a couple of bucks for every time I heard this stupid flatlander shit, in person, it would easily cover gas money to or from Colorado.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By neostoicism:

He can’t carry 45 lbs since he weighs 50 lbs.  Can you carry 200+ lbs for 12 miles?  He does carry roughly 1 liter of water, his pack, snacks, a first aid/survival kit and a light jacket weighing about 10-12 lbs.  Roughly 20-25% of his body weight.

Weird flex on a 8 year old though.

Yes, I understand what a ruck is.  Any man should be able to carry 20-25%  of his body weight at a moments notice for 10 miles.  This is like basic physical fitness standards, regardless of how fat in general Americans are.  

View Quote

Jesus. My 5 yr old weighs 60 lbs. He ain't fat either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:36:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#8]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

He can’t carry 45 lbs since he weighs 50 lbs.  Can you carry 200+ lbs for 12 miles?  He does carry roughly 1 liter of water, his pack, snacks, a first aid/survival kit and a light jacket weighing about 10-12 lbs.  Roughly 20-25% of his body weight.

Yes, I understand what a ruck is.  Any man should be able to carry 20-25%  of his body weight at a moments notice for 10 miles.  This is like basic physical fitness standards, regardless of how fat in general Americans are.  

The average weight of a 5-year-old is 40 to 46 pounds.  My 9-year-old weighs 57 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
If I had a couple of bucks for every time I heard this stupid flatlander shit, in person, it would easily cover gas money to or from Colorado.
View Quote

Please post your pack contents and weight, I am more than willing to learn

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:43:55 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Congrats, you have a 95th+ percentile kid compared to his 50th percentile kid.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:44:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By XJ:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By XJ:

Deal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:47:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#12]
Originally Posted By XJ:

Post the contents flatlander

LOL, I am not looking to one-up you, just the other day a bidness associate originally from South America put all of my altitude experience to shame.   There are folks who think nothing of working at elevations which do not exist in the US.

View Quote

Well we're not talking about that, are we?

I've backpacked up to 10K feet and everything in between.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:11:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Well we're not talking about that, are we?

I've backpacked up to 10K feet and everything in between.
View Quote

Laughs all around, not looking for a brawl

Still waiting how your 20# purse is applicable above treeline
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:12:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By XJ:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By XJ:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By XJ:

tldr; this stuff is miserably heavy; sometimes; would not recommend to my worst enemies; only recommend to best friends; would not enjoy obstacle course with this crap.

Solo day hike.

Solo, 42kg before water. 2 carries. Pair of ropes, double rack of cams to a #3, a single #4, single ice axe, bivi gear, ten days of food.  And, apparently, a bunch of fucking books, for some reason.

One carry.  [Park] Rangers said each pack was 90#.  Before water.  I think that's a little bit high, but it was 3 ropes, double or triple rack of cams, one or two portaledges, and a full rack of iron pitons, split between the two bags.  Plus whatever other stuff.
The guy sitting down is a former 11C 3/75.  If he's complaining about stuff being heavy ... I'll take his word for it.
[I left Virginia in my Wrangler on a Friday morning, picked up my friend in Chicago Friday evening, and had the climbing gear to the Chasm View rap anchors by Saturday evening.  And, it fucking sucked.  Every step.]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:19:37 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By XJ:

Hungover, bad knees, and old, I got this  https://coloradosprings.gov/parks/page/manitou-incline
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Yessir, qualification is 50-60lbs. 8 miles.
View Quote

Unless it’s gotten WAY easier the ruck was a minimum of 75 lbs before food (the little you had) and water. You could be weighed at ant time and if you were below weight it was an honor code violation meaning you went home without the option to come back. Most people carried at least 5 extra lbs in case the scale was off.

I don’t think any of the rucks were much shorter than 6 miles and many were a lot longer than 8. Biggest factor was not just one event, it went on for three weeks and you had to keep ‘rucking up” even though you were physically and mentally exhausted.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SNOWPACK:

I heard the really big elevation gains can be had in Ohio. Come on out and we'll see if you can go 10 with NO pack sometime. You'll be dragging in no time, pmags on me

Not that I disagree with your overall point on the physical state of American men, but still. Flat road march ain't the same as a hike over terrain.
View Quote

Uh, I’ve hiked plenty in the Rockies.  Even hundreds of miles under my belt with an ALICE and jungles when I was young and dumb.  Been over 12,000 quite a few times, and 13,000 a couple.

Just because I’m from Ohio doesn’t mean I haven’t experienced altitude.  Anyways, only half of Ohio is flat.  The rest is rugged, dissected plateau with a lot of elevation change but not at elevation.  Actually, I like hiking out west, rather than here in Ohio during summer.  Nothing like up and down 400’ tall ridges, while it’s 96° with 100% humidity with no air movement in a forest so dense with underbrush it’s damn near a jungle and you can’t even see 25’ off the path.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had my share of ruck marches over the years, both in the Corps and Army. My advice is to learn HOW to pack a ruck before deciding to spend large dollars on the rucksack itself. Poorly packed rucks cause more issues than whether you went to supply or REI for your ruck. Just my thoughts
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

@L_JE our packs weighed what they weighed, the miles were what they were, and the altitude was what it was.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By IHaveAGub:

22K is a bit. I’m not sure your current age and fitness level, so maybe it’s a reasonable goal.

I personally would not spend a lot of money on rucking equipment. Any decent backpack with waist straps will do. I duct taped 6 bricks together vertically and put that in my pack. That’s about 30 lbs, and I don’t typically add any weight beyond that. If I want a challenge I just walk faster, longer, or on steeper terrain.

I personally don’t understand the whole ‘signing up for a race/competition/etc to motivate me to exercise’ thing. Your health should be enough reason. Just kick your ass to get up and do it. Or find a buddy to ruck with.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Didn't see a rucking forum in outdoor, training, or general, but here goes

What kind of pack/gear do you start with?

It looks like there is a local rucking event at a VFW in september. I don't have any details, but last year was 18k with 18# (or kilos? forgot which), this year is 22K.

Might be something to use to help motivate getting outside for walks.

22K is a bit. I’m not sure your current age and fitness level, so maybe it’s a reasonable goal.

I personally would not spend a lot of money on rucking equipment. Any decent backpack with waist straps will do. I duct taped 6 bricks together vertically and put that in my pack. That’s about 30 lbs, and I don’t typically add any weight beyond that. If I want a challenge I just walk faster, longer, or on steeper terrain.

I personally don’t understand the whole ‘signing up for a race/competition/etc to motivate me to exercise’ thing. Your health should be enough reason. Just kick your ass to get up and do it. Or find a buddy to ruck with.

Working out just to stay in shape is a slog.

Working out so you can do well in a race is motivation.

Working out so you don't let your race partner down is a kick in the pants.

Working out because you want to dominate your opponent in tournament fighting will make you obsessive about it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

@L_JE our packs weighed what they weighed, the miles were what they were, and the altitude was what it was.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111561/Screen_Shot_2023-01-13_at_8_19_01_AM_png-2670227.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111561/IMG_1855_jpg-2670228.JPG
View Quote

Not to mention, the obstacle course of a trail that year.  Still way more enjoyable than a road march with govt issued stuff, though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#23]
It’s really a sad commentary on our society where people need to “work up” to a 10 mile walk.  Y’all, 10 miles isn’t far.  Any man under 70 should be able to do that on a moments notice.  I mean, my 8 year old hikes 10 miles no problem, even carrying his own water, snacks and essentials.
View Quote

I guess we are just gonna ignore weight, terrain,  and time?

LOL.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

Working out because you want to dominate your opponent in tournament fighting will make you obsessive about it.
View All Quotes

It looks like there is a local rucking event at a VFW in september. I don't have any details, but last year was 18k with 18# (or kilos? forgot which), this year is 22K.

Jocko has a good video on motivation vs discipline
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Don't be stupid. Get a something worthwhile with a good waistbelt and frame.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
ALICE pack and jungle boots. Be hard.

Don't be stupid. Get a something worthwhile with a good waistbelt and frame.
Everyone knows waistbelts are for pussies. Cut that bitch off to save some weight.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:02:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#26]
Rucking should be the national sport.

It may become it soon enough.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#27]

With all due respect, you have no clue what you're talking about.

You want "any" man to be fitter than the Army's SF qualification test.

Bullshit.

View All Quotes
 Any man should be able to carry 20-25%  of his body weight at a moments notice for 10 miles.  This is like basic physical fitness standards, regardless of how fat in general Americans are.  

Bullshit.

Change the % to # and I can do it. And I'm old and fat.

Oh, don't give me no 3 hr time limit, though. I'm good with 5 in the hills of Red River Gorge.

I think ruck discussions are a lot like shooting discussions. There is "what people claim" and "what people can do". And you can tell who's been and done, and who hasn't.

Now, I know a few guys I've raced against in 12 and 24 hour freestyle nav races who,  I would not have believed they did what they did had I not seen their punch card at the end.

There are animals out there. So, I'd never call a stranger a liar.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
I went cheap and got a condor $60 pack that is ok for what I paid.
View Quote

Remind me whenever we meet up again, I have a couple packs you can try if you would like. I have an Alice with MOLLE pads, and a MOLLE 2 now in addition to a couple Eberlestocks. @DKUltra
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Can you break down their test? I have a hard time believing thats harder than their qual.
View All Quotes
 Any man should be able to carry 20-25%  of his body weight at a moments notice for 10 miles.  This is like basic physical fitness standards, regardless of how fat in general Americans are.  

Bullshit.

Can you break down their test? I have a hard time believing thats harder than their qual.

There is a website with all the entrance qualifications for various groups. SEALS, Delta, RECON etc.

They were surprisingly low. Ben explained that they were just the starting point and pretty irrelevant to what graduates can do, which made much more sense.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

That one is  very good. I listen to a lot of Jocko while working at the shop. Rarely disagree with him
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#31]

LOL.
View Quote
Willful ignorance of all three of those ... is how I get places.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By daemon734:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/20230113_070254_jpg-2670292.JPG
View Quote

There was a strong adventure race and freestyle nav race circuit around me from about 95 to about 2013. Pretty popular. Now, hardly nothing.

The 24 hour run, mountain bike, kayak races were great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m sure they are comfortable but I couldn’t bring myself to buy a backpack that’s primarily for exercise and not a functional pack.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm 59 and transitioned from running with a plate carrier to rucking almost a year ago and I love it. I use an LAPG 3 day pack with a Condor battle belt attached to the waist belt and carry my plate carrier in the pack with some other stuff. It's around 37 pounds now. I ruck 5+ miles three days a week in the hills and it's a fantastic workout.

Footwear is mainly Merrell MOAB2s with merino wool hiking socks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:59:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: S1W] [#35]
If your ruck isn't burdensome enough, you can always try doing it at a higher elevation and drag a sled, too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By daemon734:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/20230113_070254_jpg-2670292.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#38]

There is a website with all the entrance qualifications for various groups. SEALS, Delta, RECON etc.

They were surprisingly low. Ben explained that they were just the starting point and pretty irrelevant to what graduates can do, which made much more sense.

View All Quotes

Bullshit.

I wasn't even thinking their entrance qual. I was thinking of their qual for finishing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By S1W:
If your ruck isn't burdensome enough, you can always try doing it at a higher elevation and drag a sled, too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493549/Denali_Windy_Corner_jpg-2670333.JPG
View Quote

Try having the load in your sled move around
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:
I use my plate carrier, it's right around 40#s.
View Quote

I also use my PC.....
Throw in some mags and I can hang water bottles for additional weight.
Did a light one last night after dinner - only 3 miles.
But I try to do that every night, 3, 4.5, 6 miles.

I have black and red GORUCK shoes too
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Try having the load in your sled move around
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220228_105347_jpg-2670353.JPG
View Quote

Those things have vocal chords, too!

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Yep.

Big fan

We do a few go rucks each year, usually the basic ones, and we also do competitions with distance events attached to shooting.

It's a great way to get in/stay in shape.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/221816/VideoCapture_20220726-210857-2466885.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlexAdams43:
They are pricey but the Goruck packs are great packs.

Yep.

Big fan

We do a few go rucks each year, usually the basic ones, and we also do competitions with distance events attached to shooting.

It's a great way to get in/stay in shape.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/221816/VideoCapture_20220726-210857-2466885.jpg

Which pack are you using?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#43]

LOL.
View All Quotes
It’s really a sad commentary on our society where people need to “work up” to a 10 mile walk.  Y’all, 10 miles isn’t far.  Any man under 70 should be able to do that on a moments notice.  I mean, my 8 year old hikes 10 miles no problem, even carrying his own water, snacks and essentials.

LOL.

It is pretty sad how much of our society (that possesses the ability to walk) might die if pressed into walking 10 miles on easy terrain with no extra weight.  

I'd consider 20-25% of body weight hiked 10 miles at a moments notice a pretty high standard of physical fitness.

I'd also consider 20# on easy terrain like paved roads or walking paths for 10 miles an honest standard that any man *should* be able to do, and a scary percentage probably can't.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:

I assume you have done countless miles with much heavier weight using that equipment.

For OP, it will be serviceable albeit a little less comfortable than modern stuff. If he doesn't condition properly, a Kifaru or MR ruck won't help.

OP, get under a ruck and start putting miles on. Start with shorter distances and get whatever boots you decide on broken in. This will also get you feet and bones conditioned to carrying a load.

Get in the habit of changing your socks and examining your feet, apply foot powder when you do this. Pay attention to how you feet are interacting with your socks and boots so you can address problems before they become a problem. Use wool socks. Have some moleskin and a pair of scissors to cut it to address incipient blisters.

Some dudes would use a two sock system and apply antiperspirant to their feet. I never needed to do this. Others would apply tape to hotspots to avoid blisters. Again, I never needed to do this. YMMV.
View Quote
Better equipment should hopefully provide a better experience. A few months back I tried on a buddies goruck and was amazed how comfortable it was with 60# in it. Jungle boots look cool and are supposed to be great in a punji environment but there are better boots for rucking. From someone who broke eight toes and crushed a ankle joint I take foot care very serious.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Here’s a good drill.

RUGBY UNION RUCK DEFENCE AND ATTACK CONTACT DRILL
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#47]
Cool expensive gear is cool! But a real USGI military surplus Alice pack with a frame (as opposed to a ChiCom copy) is all you need to get started. Especially under 50 lbs. I use an OD large ALICE with a sandbag.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:41:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#48]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:
Cool expensive gear is cool! But a real USGI military surplus Alice pack with a frame (as opposed to a ChiCom copy) is all you need to get started. Especially under 50 lbs. I use an OD large ALICE with a sandbag.
View Quote

I cant even fathom how many miles I humped under one when I was in the Army. Worked fine. I was an M60 AG for a good part of it too. Shit Tons of weight. Worked just fine
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#49]
F all that

I'm trying to get my base weight below 20lbs
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By S1W:

View Quote
I mean, who doesn't want to be on a mountain ridge, tied to a heavy weight that's intentionally designed to effortlessly slide over an icy surface?

The guides I've talked with have always spoken with a hint of under the surface trauma from guiding Denali.
Page / 11
Rucking questions (Page 3 of 11)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top