BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Rucking questions (Page 1 of 11)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 2/9/2023 3:57:03 PM EDT
Didn't see a rucking forum in outdoor, training, or general, but here goes

What kind of pack/gear do you start with?

It looks like there is a local rucking event at a VFW in september. I don't have any details, but last year was 18k with 18# (or kilos? forgot which), this year is 22K.

Might be something to use to help motivate getting outside for walks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
ALICE pack and jungle boots. Be hard.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
There is, in fact, a backpacking forum. I'm not sure how "rucking" compares.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Backpacking-and-Camping/26/
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
View Quote
  Yeah, add sleep deprivation and a hangover and have at it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
They are pricey but the Goruck packs are great packs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:37:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073] [#5]
how old are you?  what kind of shape are you in?

point being -- if you're in your 40s - 50s coming off the couch don't hold yourself to an unrealistic standard

i don't do the goruck thing but would say this -- get a comfortable pack and put 20lbs in it.  see if you can walk 4 miles in 1 hour.  see how you feel --  adjust accordingly.

of course the age-old US Army standard of 12 miles in 3 hours carrying about 50lbs is one well-known standard.  but at my age that's not happening.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:50:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redbirdxx] [#6]
22k is 10 miles. That's not a beginner course. Totally doable, but I'd have yourself and your gear (pack and footwear, mainly) sorted before stepping off on that one.

Eberlestock packs are popular with the IL APC guys, but that's definitely a personal preference kinda thing.

Edit- the suspension system on Eberlestocks is pretty plush-
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:51:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: axl] [#7]
Interested

Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

not sure what boners have to do with this but OK
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:56:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MacManus] [#9]
I'll get dragged by the poors for this but:  GORUCK Rucker is worth every penny.  Also their boots are too.

ETA: rucking is actually a tremendous form of cardio.  Do it with a buddy and bullshit the whole time and burn a FUCKLOAD of cals in the process.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:
22k is 10 miles. That's not a beginner course. Totally doable, but I'd have yourself and your gear (pack and footwear, mainly) sorted before stepping off on that one.

Eberlestock packs are popular with the IL APC guys, but that's definitely a personal preference kinda thing.

Edit- the suspension system on Eberlestocks is pretty plush-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461668/12_19pack_jpg-2641159_JPG-2669771.JPG
View Quote

Thats why I want to work up to it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Been rucking to stay fit for MANY years.  Lots of Goruck and other events under my belt including some 50 miles star courses.  Get yourself a Goruck pack and plate.  Get the good stuff and be done.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Don't be stupid. Get a something worthwhile with a good waistbelt and frame.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Hit up an REI to get property fitted for hiking boots and a backpack.

Then go buy that stuff online from a company that doesn’t hate us.

I keep mine packed for actual camping, so food, water, shelter, warm clothes, batteries, toiletries, and several ways to start a fire. I add loaded mags to get the weight I want it to be.

For boots, I have Salomon’s and am currently breaking in a pair of Viktos.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Didn't see a rucking forum in outdoor, training, or general, but here goes

What kind of pack/gear do you start with?

It looks like there is a local rucking event at a VFW in september. I don't have any details, but last year was 18k with 18# (or kilos? forgot which), this year is 22K.

Might be something to use to help motivate getting outside for walks.
View Quote

22K is a bit. I’m not sure your current age and fitness level, so maybe it’s a reasonable goal.

I personally would not spend a lot of money on rucking equipment. Any decent backpack with waist straps will do. I duct taped 6 bricks together vertically and put that in my pack. That’s about 30 lbs, and I don’t typically add any weight beyond that. If I want a challenge I just walk faster, longer, or on steeper terrain.

I personally don’t understand the whole ‘signing up for a race/competition/etc to motivate me to exercise’ thing. Your health should be enough reason. Just kick your ass to get up and do it. Or find a buddy to ruck with.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#16]
My pack is currently 50lbs +/- and only going to get heavier.
Attachment Attached File

Boots right now are Danner RATs. I haven't needed winter boots yet this season either.
If I'm not carrying my daughter my favorite pack is Ospreys Atmos 65L for backpacking and rucking.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MacManus:
I'll get dragged by the poors for this but:  GORUCK Rucker is worth every penny.  Also their boots are too.

ETA: rucking is actually a tremendous form of cardio.  Do it with a buddy and bullshit the whole time and burn a FUCKLOAD of cals in the process.
View Quote

I didn’t want to be the first to recommend GoRuck as I didn’t want to be called a fanboy.

But I agree, loving their Rucker pack (3.0 version) and Rucker plates. Also have a bunch of their footwear, probably too many. I haven’t done any events as there aren’t any near me.

I’ve been rucking for a few years - usually do 4+ miles every other day with 30 lbs. Occasionally I up it to 40 lbs but need to work on my shoulders more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:18:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#19]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3one5] [#20]
Originally Posted By IHaveAGub:

22K is a bit. I’m not sure your current age and fitness level, so maybe it’s a reasonable goal.

I personally would not spend a lot of money on rucking equipment. Any decent backpack with waist straps will do. I duct taped 6 bricks together vertically and put that in my pack. That’s about 30 lbs, and I don’t typically add any weight beyond that. If I want a challenge I just walk faster, longer, or on steeper terrain.

I personally don’t understand the whole ‘signing up for a race/competition/etc to motivate me to exercise’ thing. Your health should be enough reason. Just kick your ass to get up and do it. Or find a buddy to ruck with.
View Quote

10 miles is not something to be taken lightly.  I have a buddy who is a marathon runner who decided to do a Bataan with me.  He developed blisters around mile 7 but kept after it and finished.

ETA: On the competition.  Physical health is certainly motivation enough but competitions really get my blood flowing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I hiked a Philmont trip of 112 miles with an ALICE and jungles.  It’s really not that bad.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#22]
About three times a week I put on a full set of golf clubs and ruck several miles. Stopping frequently and putting the pack down and doing mobility drills. 🤣
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#23]
The surplus Army “10th Mountain” rucks are dirt cheap right now if you get them 9n the older ACU pattern. There are several generations of frame and not a ton of difference between them for non-Airborne applications. They are heavy as Hell empty but take a beating and are very flexible with the MOLLE pouches and attachments. Nothing wrong with them for starting out or rucks only lasting a few days..

I have Ospreys that I purchased for a trip to Philmont this summer: They are light as a feather but I don’t think they will handle years of abuse
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:46:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#24]
LL Bean has a 30liter Ridge Runner ruck that is very comfy. The waist belt is very handy too.

Footwear needs to be broken in, don't wear some heavy boots that you took out of the box the day before.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I use my plate carrier, it's right around 40#s.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I started with a hand me down, large framed Alice pack and a good pair of Merrell boots that fit properly.

I actually like the feel of the Alice pack despite the reputation they have.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:09:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chris_in_TX] [#28]
I rucked for a while with a  London Bridge Trading 3-day pack with 30-35 lbs of bricks in it.  I had a circuit of just under 5 miles that I could finish in about an hour before work.  I dropped 20 pounds and was in great shape.  Then I tore a meniscus and it totally blew my motivation to work out.  I'm going to get back at it when it warms up a bit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#29]
It’s really a sad commentary on our society where people need to “work up” to a 10 mile walk.  Y’all, 10 miles isn’t far.  Any man under 70 should be able to do that on a moments notice.  I mean, my 8 year old hikes 10 miles no problem, even carrying his own water, snacks and essentials.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By neostoicism:
It’s really a sad commentary on our society where people need to “work up” to a 10 mile walk.  Y’all, 10 miles isn’t far.  Any man under 70 should be able to do that on a moments notice.  I mean, my 8 year old hikes 10 miles no problem, even carrying his own water, snacks and essentials.
View Quote

It's rucking. Not walking, not hiking,  rucking. As in carrying weight.

I carry 45+ pounds when I go out. Can your 8 year old carry 45lbs 12 miles?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#33]

It's rucking. Not walking, not hiking,  rucking. As in carrying weight.

I carry 45+ pounds when I go out. Can your 8 year old carry 45lbs 12 miles?
View Quote

He can’t carry 45 lbs since he weighs 50 lbs.  Can you carry 200+ lbs for 12 miles?  He does carry roughly 1 liter of water, his pack, snacks, a first aid/survival kit and a light jacket weighing about 10-12 lbs.  Roughly 20-25% of his body weight.

Weird flex on a 8 year old though.

Yes, I understand what a ruck is.  Any man should be able to carry 20-25%  of his body weight at a moments notice for 10 miles.  This is like basic physical fitness standards, regardless of how fat in general Americans are.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
I still like Mystery Ranch packs, that's what my family uses to put on miles. Regardless of the brand, make sure they are a somewhat "fitted" pacly, not just general sizes.

Good boots are your next best friend. I really like Lowas and Crispis.

Another thing that I thought was stupid, but am a fun of now are trekking poles. These are a invaluable in steep terrain, and can double as shooting sticks.
View Quote

Trekking poles are awesome.  Never understood how great they are till I tried some.  Well worth the added weight.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

View Quote

Rucking: shitty gear designed to cause pain and misery.

Backpacking: opposite of the above.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

View Quote

Rucking is like if you crossed Backpacking with Crossfit and then did obstacle courses (while carrying an artificially heavy pack) for funzies.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Yes, I understand what a ruck is.  Any man should be able to carry 20-25%  of his body weight at a moments notice for 10 miles.  This is like basic physical fitness standards, regardless of how fat in general Americans are.  

View Quote

Seriously, while I agree with your sentiment in bold above, the truth is a far, far sadder thing.

I've rucked a lot of miles with a lot of different guys in the last few years, most of them in at least decent shape. At 20-25% bodyweight most will struggle after six, might make ten but they will be DONE at the end unless conditioned to it.

Your average guy off the street is going to be quitting by mile 3 or so if he even makes it that far.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I use a 40# bag of salt, because it occupies the volume in a pack.

Hill People Gear for the win
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#39]
A couple of cheap water bladders in your ruck is a good way to carry weight and if you start sucking wind, it is easy to lighten your load. .
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#40]
First investment should be merino wool socks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Build up to it, or else you will get shin splints, etc.  You need to harden up your bones, put the time in, or you'll hurt yourself.

20 years rucking with the military, on my 4th knee surgery, have a curved spine - ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Seriously, while I agree with your sentiment in bold above, the truth is a far, far sadder thing.

I've rucked a lot of miles with a lot of different guys in the last few years, most of them in at least decent shape. At 20-25% bodyweight most will struggle after six, might make ten but they will be DONE at the end unless conditioned to it.

Your average guy off the street is going to be quitting by mile 3 or so if he even makes it that far.
View Quote

It’s sad, and in my opinion it’s an existential crisis for our nation.  The general lack of fitness in males.  Soft suburban life and “inside” activities taking the place of sports and outdoor skills as leisure time activities.

We’re soft as a nation, and will eventually pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trails-end] [#45]
Originally Posted By AlexAdams43:
They are pricey but the Goruck packs are great packs.
View Quote

Any pack will work. Bricks taped in bubble wrap make a great weight.

EBay and the EE is a good place to find goruck packs.  They are built tough.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Another vote for Mystery Ranch. They are very well made.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

With all due respect, you have no clue what you're talking about.

You want "any" man to be fitter than the Army's SF qualification test.

Bullshit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
 Any man should be able to carry 20-25%  of his body weight at a moments notice for 10 miles.  This is like basic physical fitness standards, regardless of how fat in general Americans are.  

With all due respect, you have no clue what you're talking about.

You want "any" man to be fitter than the Army's SF qualification test.

Bullshit.

Can you break down their test? I have a hard time believing thats harder than their qual.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Rucking questions (Page 1 of 11)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top