Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2022 9:01:34 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations for a new router. I’d be willing to spend up to $250. Our house is about 1400 sqft. so a mesh system isn’t required but I am open to it. We may have about 3-4 screens running max. I would definitely need gigabyte capability. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Wi-Fi router for clarity
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Porter Cable
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, that kind of router.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
tagged

I've got an old school Craftsman Contractor's table saw with a router hole in the table top
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
PF Sense box with an access point.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The Asus AX3000 series would be a good choice for you.
Less than $200
Wifi 6
If you wanted to mesh down the road you can buy another one and easily mesh them together.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the DeWalt plunder router kit.. Actually 2 of them, one is set up under a table, the other I use for round overs and such..
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Asus AX3000 series would be a good choice for you.
Less than $200
Wifi 6
If you wanted to mesh down the road you can buy another one and easily mesh them together.
View Quote

Thank you for ignoring the “no serious posts on page 1” rule.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Ubiquiti Unify U6-PRO-US is going to be tough to beat...I've been wanting Unify gear forever and just got one for our home.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Ubiquity DreamMachine
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]
If you could stretch your budget I would get an Amplifi Alien.

It is awesome.

B&H link

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have the DeWalt plunder router kit..
View Quote

is that like the viking edition
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I needed that laugh.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ubiquity DreamMachine
View Quote

This, or Dream Machine Pro if you want to add cameras and have some more capability.

However, the Dream Machine itself is awesome, particularly with the ability to create firewalls between multiple wifi and LAN networks through the same router. This lets you segregate IOT and cameras from the rest of your network.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Festool
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m happy with Motorola. Mines the 2600 iirc, <200. 2300sq’ house, brick, good range. It pulls signal from the wyze camera that in on the other side of my detached brick garage.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm happy with my Eero.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Unifi UDM if you are a power user. Or the UDR for normal use.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Ryobi is the industry leader in arfcom power tools
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ubiquiti Unify U6-PRO-US is going to be tough to beat...I've been wanting Unify gear forever and just got one for our home.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61581/Screenshot_20220409-212310_Speedtest_jpg-2343797.JPG
View Quote
This.

we're an all unify house. For the money it's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Porter Cable
View Quote
I think DeWalt and Mikita also make decent ones, but I have Porter Cable...  I have the full kit with 3 bases, normal D handle and plunge.

FWIW, my brother in law like Ubiquiti.  My Ubiquiti had issues, and I am not using it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the Unifi Dream Machine at home and the Ubiquiti Amplifi Alien at my office and they are both awesome.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Rape Rape and pillage edition....
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ubiquiti Unify U6-PRO-US is going to be tough to beat...I've been wanting Unify gear forever and just got one for our home.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61581/Screenshot_20220409-212310_Speedtest_jpg-2343797.JPG
View Quote

Quoted:
Ubiquity DreamMachine
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Unifi all the things
Attachment Attached File

Might be a touch more than OPs stated budget...
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Unify is for network nerds who ignore your budget and recommend a lot of features you won’t understand or need

They cannot help themselves.  

Get a good quality single router with wifi6 like one of the recommendations above, or go ahead and buy a cheap mesh system to get higher bandwidth to all areas of the home.

We use a $200 tp-link 3 station mesh system on our 3000 sq foot home and it has been flawless.  Stable, great bandwidth, and I can hard wire devices in close proximity to a mesh station so only back channel is on WiFi.

Wifi on my laptop, through a wall, to base router in another room:

Hard wired through a switch on the main router (I have 400mb/s service on a cable modem)

OP = here is something similar to what I have, but a newer model.  I have installed a pair of these at a friends house recently (1700 sq feet).  $99 for a single, $199 for a 3-pack.  They come with ethernet ports so your remote locations can be hard wired for backchannel, or provide locak devices with ethernet so only using wifi for the backchannel to get the highest bandwidth.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Z35GY6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Z35GY6  

Walmart has a 2-pack of these for $129
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Questions:
1) Internet connection speed.
2) Max # of walls/floors between router and devices.
3) Wall composition (drywall, plaster).
4) Ability to run Ethernet cables to streaming devices.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Unify is for network nerds who ignore your budget and recommend a lot of features you won't understand or need

Get a good quality single router with wifi6 like one of the recommendations above, or go ahead and buy a cheap mesh system to get higher bandwidth to all areas of the home.

We use a $200 tp-link 3 station mesh system on our 3000 sq foot home and it has been flawless.  Stable, great bandwidth, and I can hard wire devices in close proximity to a mesh station so only back channel is on WiFi.
View Quote
Hardly. The Unifi AP I recommended is under his budget, has Wifi6 and is incredibly simple to setup with just their app. Took me maybe 5 minutes, and the coverage is exactly what I expected.

It has zero extra features...just two wifi networks and a single setup page.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hardly. The Unifi AP I recommended is under his budget, has Wifi6 and is incredibly simple to setup with just their app. Took me maybe 5 minutes, and the coverage is exactly what I expected.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unify is for network nerds who ignore your budget and recommend a lot of features you won't understand or need

Ceiling mounted, requires wiring inside the wall/ceiling, and POE switch or POE injector, right?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm still using a 1941 ISR.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#30]
6th-gen Apple Airport Extreme

$40-$60 used on Ebay

Works great.  Rock solid, only time I've ever needed to reboot it is for firmware updates and config changes.

I've been using the Airport Extreme line since around 2008 when I bought a 2nd-gen Airport Extreme.  I gave that particular router to my parents a few years ago and they're still using it, because it still works fine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I find it amusing how many people are bragging about what they use, when they don’t even know how to spell it correctly.

It’s spelled Ubiquiti and UniFi people. It’s really not that hard.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Ubiquiti UDM pro and Ubiquiti AP. Overkill but lots of great functionality like security camera control and recording.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I find it amusing how many people are bragging about what they use, when they don’t even know how to spell it correctly.

View Quote

For people bragging about how fast their internet connection is through their router....it isn't really a good bragging point.  99.9% of your internet browsing could be easily accomplished with a basic 80-100mbps connection, if that.  HD and 4K streams use less bandwidth than that.  You don't need 400mbps+ to have a good internet experience, and I'm saying that as someone who used to have gigabit fiber.  There's almost no difference between how fast an average webpage will load if you have gigabit fiber vs an 80mbps cable connection, for about 99% of websites out there (and if you can tell a difference, it will be "this website loaded 1 second faster on a gigabit connection than on an 80mbps cable connection").  The only time you will see a major difference is if you download giant files on a regular basis.

I have a 400/20 cable connection, but only because I work from home (as an IT sysadmin) and occasionally download large, multi-gigabyte files as part of my job.  If I weren't in that position I'd have the 200mbps package, which is the slowest that Spectrum currently offers in my area.  I'm also in an apartment, surrounded by about 35 other wireless networks that I can see from my computer at any given time.  Even if don't get the full 400mbps, it doesn't have any negative affect on my browsing experience at all.

For your average home internet user there is no reason to go out and spend $$$$ on the latest and greatest wireless router setup, unless you have home networking as your hobby, or you just feel like spending $700 on an HDMI cable throwing money away.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Bosch FTW
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://c.tenor.com/lzwviX3JiAEAAAAM/funny-true.gif

For people bragging about how fast their internet connection is through their router....it isn't really a good bragging point.  99.9% of your internet browsing could be easily accomplished with a basic 80-100mbps connection, if that.  HD and 4K streams use less bandwidth than that.  You don't need 400mbps+ to have a good internet experience, and I'm saying that as someone who used to have gigabit fiber.  There's almost no difference between how fast an average webpage will load if you have gigabit fiber vs an 80mbps cable connection, for about 99% of websites out there (and if you can tell a difference, it will be "this website loaded 1 second faster on a gigabit connection than on an 80mbps cable connection").  The only time you will see a major difference is if you download giant files on a regular basis.

I have a 400/20 cable connection, but only because I work from home (as an IT sysadmin) and occasionally download large, multi-gigabyte files as part of my job.  If I weren't in that position I'd have the 200mbps package, which is the slowest that Spectrum currently offers in my area.  I'm also in an apartment, surrounded by about 35 other wireless networks that I can see from my computer at any given time.  Even if don't get the full 400mbps, it doesn't have any negative affect on my browsing experience at all.

For your average home internet user there is no reason to go out and spend $$$$ on the latest and greatest wireless router setup, unless you have home networking as your hobby, or you just feel like spending $700 on an HDMI cable throwing money away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a $900 Supermicro 5018D-FN8T as my router that I run Untangle Home Pro on but I use  multiple Ruckus R310 Unleashed AP’s.

More AP’s are better than 1 beefy one in my eyes for redundancy and quite frankly they still provide 400Mbps on 5Ghz which is plenty fast.

If I want faster speeds I’ll use a workstation that has a 10Gbps fiber connection to my network.

I do use quite a bit of bandwidth with many people using my Emby and Nextcloud servers but normal households really don’t need gigabit internet.  I average 4-7TB a month of usage on my 1000/250 fiber connection but that’s because the next lower tier is 300/50 and I need more than a 50Mbps upload speed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Ubiquiti security controller and AP’s. I have them and they work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone make a router that can be used for both wood-working and extending your wifi?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ubiquiti security controller and AP’s. I have them and they work flawlessly.
View Quote

They are great until the go Disconnected or Isolated for no fucking reason and you have to start playing the set-inform and/or game.

I lost my love for them when I paid $300 for a UAP-AC-HD that did that constantly for months and they wouldn’t replace it. After 6 months I finally got a rep to issue an RMA and they replaced it. I sold it the moment it arrived as well as the rest of my UniFi equipment.

All I have Ubiquiti now are EdgeMax ES-12F and ES-16-XG switches.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

#alltruth

moreover, you will get a lot more mileage (and for that matter security against malware) by optimizing your home network DNS environment versus spending hundreds of dollars on the latest Wifi hardware.  
and by "optimizing your DNS" i mean using Pihole (either on an actual RPi or on server/vm), or equivalent, to blackhole hundreds of thousands of advertising and malware domains.  

time and time again i show folks that DNS lookup and subsequent loading of a zillion javascript-laden advertising urls is *the* actual problem, and not ISP or wifi bandwidth.  

ps
i have 100GbE connectivity to HE at work, and so i speak from experience here.
i have 300Mbps symmetrical FIOS at home and it is overkill for 99% of what a typical household needs.
there is no commercial streaming service that requires more than 25Mbps, and that is worst case 4K UHD.

current:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Your is better than mine....

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you could stretch your budget I would get an Amplifi Alien.

It is awesome.

B&H link

https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/6412/6412189_sd.jpg
View Quote

second this, fixed all my issues when router was getting flaky and needing to bounce it, my cable modem has needed to be reset once from something spectrum did, and i still didnt have to touch the router, it just worked when cable modem was ready. 4 months 10 days and counting
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Unifi all the things
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/393191/20210729_185235_jpg-2343897.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Ubiquity DreamMachine

Quoted:

Unifi all the things
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/393191/20210729_185235_jpg-2343897.JPG

I see so many category cable rating fuck ups with that it’s not even funny.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have a $900 Supermicro 5018-FN8T as my router
View Quote

Me too, it's overkill but I got tired of bullshit consumer routers.  I put vanilla FreeBSD on it, no goofy proprietary interface.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm still using a 1941 ISR.
View Quote
I would take that one over everything else mentioned in this thread. I'm currently using a C881
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Questions:
1) Internet connection speed.
2) Max # of walls/floors between router and devices.
3) Wall composition (drywall, plaster).
4) Ability to run Ethernet cables to streaming devices.
View Quote

1) Per Ookla on my phone, 218 down and 9 up. Hardwired is typically 400 down and 20 up. I’m considering upgrading to 600.
2) Worse case scenario is 3 walls. My house is one story.
3) Drywall.
4) All PCs are hardwired. The streaming devices are two iPhones, Firestick and a tablet.

I sincerely appreciate the recommendations. I’m checking out every suggestion being offered.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't trust stock software that may be from China.

Openwrt
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ceiling mounted, requires wiring inside the wall/ceiling, and POE switch or POE injector, right?
View Quote
Mine's sitting on a dresser. Yes, PoE, which I'm a fan of. I had several PoE injectors sitting around from camera projects...they're cheap.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I find it amusing how many people are bragging about what they use, when they don't even know how to spell it correctly.

It's spelled Ubiquiti and UniFi people. It's really not that hard.
View Quote
Ever own a modern cell phone? They "spellcheck" all the trendy brand names.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gig-E for the house and 144TB of storage in the basement for the business.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

1) Per Ookla on my phone, 218 down and 9 up. Hardwired is typically 400 down and 20 up. I’m considering upgrading to 600.
2) Worse case scenario is 3 walls. My house is one story.
3) Drywall.
4) All PCs are hardwired. The streaming devices are two iPhones, Firestick and a tablet.

I sincerely appreciate the recommendations. I’m checking out every suggestion being offered.

View Quote

Why?  So your webpages can load 0.0001 seconds faster?  Because that's about the effect it would have.

Are you frequently maxing out your 400mbps connection all the time, to to the point that you have to wait significant amounts of time to do things?  If not, you're lighting your money on fire.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top