Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2020 10:09:25 AM EDT
Two years ago I had a 3.5” Rough Country lift installed on my JK. Online there were hundreds of five star reviews. Seemed like a good choice, especially for the money. I was wrong.

At first, I didn’t mind the ride. Now I’m over it. Every bump or crack in the pavement feels like something is going to rattle loose and fall off. It’s terrible. I was planning to replace the coil springs, but the more I read about others like me, it sounds as though the shocks may be the culprit. Anyone have experience with this same issue? I have emailed RC now 3 times asking which parts, or all, to replace. No response.

Obligatory pic:

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The oem jeep lift is made I think by Terraflex (mopar parts over the counter),. It retains the alignment ability and decent ride quality.  Rough country has always been know for a rough ride.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Crap shocks and springs.

Pretty common.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have rough country’s on my truck and they are def stiff. Great for the trails and mountains but not so much the highways.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Not an expert in this model (I've rough country lift before installed by previous owner) but rough country and skyjacker are the crap brands.  You want to buy the OEM Mopar or Teraflex kits.  The Mopar 2" usually puts 3"+, and you don't have to pay dealer list prices, you can shop around for it discounted.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Positive reviews for RC lifts go like this :

"Looks great, great price!"

Buy a Mopar lift.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
This thread pertains to me now that I just bought a JKU Rubicon to play with.

In for info.

I have always thought that Old Man Emu was the way to go..
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a rough country kit on a 92 wrangler.  Mine is a 1%er.
99% off road, and it gets towed there.

Really, it works well there but still a rough ride.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#8]
All great responses, but back to the original question; shocks, springs, or both? And is your recommendation based on personal experience?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Change out the shocks to Bilstein or Fox.  It is likely your wheels and tires are at least half of the problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Start with shocks.  Yes.  If you want to go cheap I always had good luck with the Rusty's house brand.

else Bilstein 5100s are pretty economical and good.

can even get some adjustables like the rancho ones.  They let you adjust the valving a bit.

Of course these are cheaper options, but sufficient.  You can always spend more.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start with shocks.  Yes.  If you want to go cheap I always had good luck with the Rusty's house brand.

else Bilstein 5100s are pretty economical and good.

can even get some adjustables like the rancho ones.  They let you adjust the valving a bit.

Of course these are cheaper options, but sufficient.  You can always spend more.
View Quote
Thanks for the recommendations. I have looked at Billstein, Rancho and am leaning towards Teraflex at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Change out the shocks to Bilstein or Fox.  It is likely your wheels and tires are at least half of the problem.
View Quote
I have also wondered how much the tires and wheels have affected this. The wheels are 20” and 35” tires. Any insight?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Did you ever go back and re tighten everything? Have you checked to make sure stuff isn't actually loose? My Excursion devoloped a noise I had a hell of a time tracking down and it was the leaf spring bushings. Also keep in mind that cars get noisier as they get older too. My Impreza is pretty annoying squeak and noise wise.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did you ever go back and re tighten everything? Have you checked to make sure stuff isn't actually loose? My Excursion devoloped a noise I had a hell of a time tracking down and it was the leaf spring bushings. Also keep in mind that cars get noisier as they get older too. My Impreza is pretty annoying squeak and noise wise.
View Quote
Good thought. All the rattling though is inside, including my brake pedal that now rattles. Just a terrible ride. I can feel every crack and crevice in the road.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of the rough country lifts, but what size tires are you running and what air pressure?

Me: 1997 rock crawler TJ 35 inch tires 24 pounds of air

2015 JKU with 35s and 26 pounds (E rated)

I can give details of both builds if you want...
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Rough country the cheapest shit out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top