Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2021 5:48:38 PM EDT
Give me a run down.
Food? Diving? Safety?

Any must do’s?
Must donts?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:07:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Apocalypto-] [#1]
Stopped there on a cruise once.  Pretty place, looks like an island from Pirates of the Carribean. They was having some sort of civil uprising when I was there as there were soldiers all over the place with M16's.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Going on a cruise there in January. I've read it supposed to be a very nice dive.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been there 9 times on dive trips. Stayed at Coco View resort. Week long trips with all diving, room and food included. The diving was amazing every day. Two morning dives and two afternoon dives, plus shore diving and night diving.

For additional excursions did a shark dive, zip line with monkeys all around and a light pub crawl through Anthony Key resort and Coxen Hole.

The last time I was there cruise ships had started making the island a stop. That always degrades paradise.

Roatan is and island about 20 miles off the Honduran coast. Crime is much lower than on the mainland.

One of the best meals I have had was at Gio’s restaurant, a seafood platter with crab, shrimp, and fish with drinks for two that cost about 1,000 Lempira about $65 at the time .

The safety standards are not quite up to the US standards but if I didn’t like the activity I just didn’t participate. Mostly Roatan is an unspoiled third world country, lots of poverty but the people are friendly and helpful.

I stopped going because airlines that used to fly there had a convenient schedule and the cost was reasonable but now it takes me more than a day to fly there and airfare is too costly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
A woman I met on Bonaire said the diving was better there than on Bonaire.  Could be but I got the impression it was mostly boat dives and one of the things I enjoy about Bonaire is the freedom todo what you want - shore dives and your own car.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:09:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I foed in the nineties, stayed at CoCoView and had a great time. Lots of diving for the money. Great fish, tons of diverse sponge and other invertebrates. Good diving. Great for photography.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I dove there in 2018 with Anthony's Key. It's definitely 3rd world, but the diving was beautiful.

Lots of fish, corals and sponges. It was all via boat, but the crew was great, and very knowledgeable. Can't comment on the gear since I took my own. I'd love to do it again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Coco View is great for diving
Been there 9 times since 1984
Just made a trip farther East in May for 10 days
Depends what you want to do
A few resorts have a beach area if you like that
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
"Roatan" is next on my list?  I've heard it's really good.

I've been to the ABC's (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire) Belize, Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico, and Key West.  Also Hawaii and the Red Sea.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By roguecoyote:
"Roatan" is next on my list?  I've heard it's really good.
View Quote

Yes. I went five years ago with my girlfriend at the time.  It was my first time diving in the ocean/warm water.  There were four others, three related that were on our dives.  The older couple had a lot of experience, the guy was a DM.  They've been all over and said we were spoiled by what we experienced, going to most other places would likely be disappointing by comparison.  Our dives ranged from the Melissa's Reef area west to the end and a little bit around the south side.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Rotan was nice. I did a dive there last week on a cruise.

For me Cozumel was a better dive for me.

The Red Sea is the best.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top