Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TripleJ] [#1]
Sorry, typo.

Deadlift was 1x5.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TripleJ:
Made it to the gym today for the completion of my first full week of SS.

Today was workout "A"

Squat: 175 3x5
Bench 140 3x5/5/4
DL: 200 1x5

I was able to add 10lbs to my squat and 5lbs to Dead lift.

On the bench I got a little over zealous. I think next week I will try 135 again next week and work up from there.

It is probably a good idea to purchase some fractional weights because at some point you won't be able to make 5 pound jumps in your presses every workout.  

Also, are you sure you are eating enough and resting enough?
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TripleJ:
Made it to the gym today for the completion of my first full week of SS.

Today was workout "A"

Squat: 175 3x5
Bench 140 3x5/5/4
DL: 200 1x5

I was able to add 10lbs to my squat and 5lbs to Dead lift.

On the bench I got a little over zealous. I think next week I will try 135 again next week and work up from there.

Nothing wrong with missing the last rep of the last set.  Honestly, I wouldn't drop back on the weight.  Either give  yourself a few more minutes of rest between sets, or if you miss your last rep on your last set, take a minutes rest and do one more rep.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Is anyone still doing this?

Being totally new to weightlifting, I made a lot of good gains on the program.  

Now, I am doing a hybrid of Starting Strength and the Texas Method.  Sort of an "advanced novice" program.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm doing this program, and have really enjoyed the results. Check out Rippetoe's Practical Programming book. There's a lot of good advice in it!
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 11:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drakich] [#6]
Originally Posted By Texas_Sig:
Is anyone still doing this?

Being totally new to weightlifting, I made a lot of good gains on the program.  

Now, I am doing a hybrid of Starting Strength and the Texas Method.  Sort of an "advanced novice" program.

I fell off the wagon on my program last year, started back up again about 6 weeks ago, skipped a week's worth of workouts, tonight was my first night working out again in 8 days.  

Current workout weights (3x5)
squat:  215 (previous was 205, so squat still went up)
bench: <175 (regressed from 185, I could only safely get 4 reps up @ 175, attempt at 5th would've probably been a failure)
push press: 95
power cleans: 135 (might be too high, I can get the weight up, but not really snapping them up)
deadlift: 185 (yes I'm a pussy)
pullups - struggle to get 5 up, no kipping

Body weight: fluctuates between 175 and 180.

Deadlifts hampered by low back strength and grip strength (or lack thereof), so I haven't really been following Rippetoe on deadlifts (been doing 135 just to condition my back).
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 5:36:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ICEAGE] [#7]
Right now.

Squat: 210 3x5
Bench: 140 3x5
Deadlift: 250 1x5
2x8 dips (about to go until failure for two sets though)

Squat ^
Pres: 95 3x5
Pendlay Row:  110 3x5 (doing instead of cleans because my gym doesn't have bumper plates)
Chinups 2x8 (About to go until failure though)

I also run 15-30 minutes after each workout for a complete workout. And swim twice a week for 30 mins to an hour (continuous swimming). I like P.L. but I need endurance also.

My weight is about 162 right now... My nutrition isn't perfect (busy broke college student), but I started at like 152-154ish.

When I first started I couldn't max out a 1 rep PR on any of the lifts I now do for reps. The program definitely works, I've just been hampered by injuries/poor nutrition.
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ICEAGE:
Right now.

Squat ^
Pendlay Row:  110 3x5 (doing instead of cleans because my gym doesn't have bumper plates)

I also run 15-30 minutes after each workout for a complete workout. And swim twice a week for 30 mins to an hour (continuous swimming). I like P.L. but I need endurance also.

My weight is about 162 right now... My nutrition isn't perfect (busy broke college student), but I started at like 152-154ish.

When I first started I couldn't max out a 1 rep PR on any of the lifts I now do for reps. The program definitely works, I've just been hampered by injuries/poor nutrition.

Wait until you tack age on top of that.

Link Posted: 10/10/2009 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Right now.

Squat ^

My genetics suck.  

I've been doing Riptoe's for a while now (1 year) and I've got the following:

Squat: 165 x 5
Deadlift: 225 x 5
Bench: 110 x 5
Military Press: 85 x 5
Bent-over Row: 120 x 5
Chin-ups: two sets of 11

I'm naturally skinny as shit (150 lb, probably 10% body fat) at 5'9".

I can eat more, but I put on fat pretty easily.

RF
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By refurb:
My genetics suck.  

RF

I don't think your genetics is  the problem.  Your diet is.  Start eating a lot more.  Yes, you will gain some fat, but you will gain more muscle.  And once you have more muscle, it is a lot easier to burn any fat off if you so desire.

At your height, you should weight at least 175 pounds.  2% Milk, olive oil, meat, almonds are all good foods that will help you do this.  Aim for putting on 1 pound a week.  If you overshoot your goal, don't overcompensate and starve yourself.  Just keep eating.

Also, I noticed your presses were in 5 pound increments.  Are you microloading these lifts?  Once you start hitting plateaus on these lifts, you should go to 2 or even 1 pound increments to keep the progress going.

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump so this doesn't get archived.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 11:31:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#12]
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been doing this program on and off for 18 months. I can only imagine where my numbers would be if I had not slacked off.

My best so far:
Squat 300
Bench 205
Deadlift 355
Press 145
Clean 145

My goal:
Squat 405
Bench 315
Deadlift 500
Press 185
Clean 225

I am 5'9 and 180 pounds squishy. I want to be 185 solid.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been doing the program for about 3 weeks.  Those 5 lb increments really add up fast!

So far:

Squat:  225, I think I need to reduce weight and work on my form.  I have a hard time staying back on my

heels at this weight.  Also, my hip flexors and knee is killing me.  I had an ACL done about 8 years ago and

I'm afraid if my form isn't perfect I'm going to fuck up my knee again.  My left leg(acl) is still smaller than

my right leg, and I can't seem to get the muscles to grow again.

Deadlift:  250

Benchpress:  185

Bent over Rows:  125

Dips:  2x8, gonna try some weighted dips today.

Pullups:  I still suck at these, I've been trying some negatives to build up some strength, but  progress has

been slow.

Overhead press: 115, been stuck here for the last 2 workouts.

Link Posted: 11/27/2009 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuggles, that is great progress for 3 weeks! Are you eating and sleeping a lot? I had to increase my calories to keep progressing. You'll stall quickly if you aren't eating and sleeping enough.

I backed my weight down to work on my squat form too. If you don't have the form down tight at the lower weights you will definitely fail once the weight gets over 300.

I try and read his Starting Strength book between sets, and I'm amazed at how many little details you can pick up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 2:37:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By refurb:
Right now.

Squat ^

My genetics suck.  

RF

Agree with other person that said not genetics.  It's diet.

If you are a "hard-gainer" you need to do the gallon of milk that goes with the Starting Strength program.

Keep in mind, starting strength is geared for high school kids to put on weight and strength rapidly.  It isn't for everyone.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Bump because I started doing SS again a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Been doing the Ripp for a few weeks.  Also doing crossfit a few times a week

Squat                  155––>200
Bench Press       135––>160
Deadlift                255––>305
Military press       75––>95
Bent row             100––>130

No failures yet
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CFII:
Holy necropost batman!

Yep,

Saving it from the archive
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By sgtgeo:

No failures yet

You aren't doing yourself any favors by doing rows instead of power cleans, and it was a error that I made as well.  You'll find that when you start programing the power clean, that your squat, dead lift and press numbers will improve as well (not to mention that it allows you to press without the need for a rack)

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

Originally Posted By sgtgeo:

No failures yet
You aren't doing yourself any favors by doing rows instead of power cleans, and it was a error that I made as well.  You'll find that when you start programing the power clean, that your squat, dead lift and press numbers will improve as well (not to mention that it allows you to press without the need for a rack)

Yeah YET!

I do get power cleans in at Crossfit.  At home a power clean failure and dropping the bar would be bad.  My workout area is upstairs
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Coming up on 3 months of doing the beginner program.  Initial starting weights were a bit light for the lower body exercises in order to allow adaptation and a focus on form without getting hurt.  One ding along the way kept me from deadlifting for ~3 weeks (9-29 Jan) which put squat back in front of deadlift, but here's the progression for 3x5 since 20 November

Squat 115 --> 250
Bench 135 --> 190
OHP 65 --> 115
DL 135 --> 240

I did minimal endurance work from beginning SS until mid January.  Since mid January, I've been doing ~30 minutes of easy running or hard, short interval cycling 4 days/week (non-lift days).  Adding that back in corresponded with a slowdown in squat improvement.  Not sure how much of that is from the extra work and how much of that is just diminishing returns.  Have not incorporated cleans yet, though I am pondering doing so.  Not much accessory work either.  If I feel like there's something left after a workout, I'll do a set or two of dips or chins.  If I feel like I've shot my wad, I leave.

I used to squat quite a bit, but no low bar, not this deep, and never consistently used weight over 225.  I've really enjoyed the change of pace from the 35-40 miles per week of running with a bit of cycling mixed in that I was doing last summer/fall, though I'm trying to figure out how to get my running and cycling mileage back up a bit when the weather improves.  That will probably mean dropping to 2x/week in the gym through the summer.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag for later reading. I'm a few months into SL5x5. The program in the OP looks to be very similar, besides the accessory work and set count.

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:
Tag for later reading. I'm a few months into SL5x5. The program in the OP looks to be very similar, besides the accessory work and set count.

View Quote

If you are a few months into SL you should be looking into moving into more intermediate programming soon, going to SS will just peak you.

Texas Method is another Rippetoe programming system that builds off the work done in 3x5 phase of SS.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

If you are a few months into SL you should be looking into moving into more intermediate programming soon, going to SS will just peak you.

Texas Method is another Rippetoe programming system that builds off the work done in 3x5 phase of SS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

How do you know when to switch up programs?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

When progress slows or stops. If you keep stalling, deloading and stalling again, it's time for new programming.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#28]

When progress slows or stops. If you keep stalling, deloading and stalling again, it's time for new programming.
View All Quotes

Gotcha. Thanks.

So far, I've stalled on OHP I think 2x, and bench 1x. Didn't need to deload. Just kept the weight the same for the next session and was able to get 5x5. But damn, OHP is a bitch. My least favorite lift and the one I struggle with the most.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Gotcha. Thanks.

So far, I've stalled on OHP I think 2x, and bench 1x. Didn't need to deload. Just kept the weight the same for the next session and was able to get 5x5. But damn, OHP is a bitch. My least favorite lift and the one I struggle with the most.
View All Quotes

Gotcha. Thanks.

There's some good writeups over on Reddit regarding beginner programs if you look around.

The consensus is that the problem with them is people stay on them way too long. You are supposed to jump in, run it for a few months to get your numbers rapidly to where things are actually feeling heavy, then use that data to start a more sustainable program.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]

There's some good writeups over on Reddit regarding beginner programs if you look around.

The consensus is that the problem with them is people stay on them way too long. You are supposed to jump in, run it for a few months to get your numbers rapidly to where things are actually feeling heavy, then use that data to start a more sustainable program.
View All Quotes

Gotcha. Thanks.

Sounds like I'm pretty much there then. None of the lifts feel easy. I'll have to look into some other programs to start soon.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Sounds like I'm pretty much there then. None of the lifts feel easy. I'll have to look into some other programs to start soon.
View All Quotes

Gotcha. Thanks.

Well, it shouldn't feel easy, but you shouldn't be banging your head against a wall either.

531 Boring But Big is where a lot of people go next.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Well, it shouldn't feel easy, but you shouldn't be banging your head against a wall either.

View Quote

That's my plan when I finish starting strength in probably two months or so.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:

I did it way too early and saw some good ass and shoulder gains.

If I wasn't such a program hopper it probably would have done a lot more.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Gotcha. Thanks.

Thanks. I'll look into it.
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Rippetoe's 3x5 (Page 13 of 13)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top