Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2020 10:44:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I was forced to be in a union for 18 years, fuckem. It's great living in a place with RTW. There are still unions if you want to belong, I would rather deal with my employer on my own merit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Texas is right to work. Here we have departments that are both Civil Service and Non-Civil Service. If a Dept is Civil Service, it may not have any special bargaining agreement, it have Meet and Confer or it can also be Collective Bargaining. If it is not Civil Service, it still will usually have an IAFF affiliation. If the union offers value / benefit to the members they will join, if not they won't.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any fire guys in an RTW state? It looks like MT might be heading down that route. I have a few questions.

1. Did your employer do anything "crazy" when your collective bargaining went away? Cut wages, change schedules, etc?
2. Did your membership in the union stay the same or did members leave?
3. Anything else I should prepare for or read up on?
4. Would you rather transition back to a non-RTW state? If so, why?

Seems like there is a lot of doom and gloom around about RTW. I would like to hear from guys who have gone through the transition to an RTW state.
View Quote

Michigan went RTW a couple of years ago. Public safety unions were "exempted" from being able to opt out as I recall. Might want to check into if that may be the case for you guys too.

J-
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]
At the employer level it can still be a helpful took to interact with the city. At the state level in Texas, the Texas State Association of Firefighters does a lot of good legislative work. They have had presumptive cancer laws passed and the list of cancers expanded (before this 95% of all work related cancer claims by firefighters were being denied), they had PTSD ruled to be cumulative vs having to stem from one single event, they had the state death benefit for firefighters almost doubled for Line of Duty Death, etc. This is all funded from union dues. In a way, I think it makes the local be more responsive to the members. If the members don't feel they are getting value for their money, they won't belong.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s a Crap law . Should be called “ right to be fired for absolutely no reason “
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fire union?
View Quote

IAM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top