Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2018 10:57:34 AM EDT
So I am the guitar tech for Dierks Bentley and the band's lead player.  I built this rig for this year's tour.  All midi controlled with a RJM Mastermind pedalboard.  The other rack is Amps.  Stereo left and right.  If you have any questions about gear let me know.  Ive been a rodie for about 19 years.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Anvil case? Super rack?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]
That's awesome!!! He puts on a good show have watched him a couple times down here in Corpus Christi!!

Is roadie life like sailor life a girl at every stop??
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Being rodie is like...image going to your job, then when it's 5 o clock, everyone you work with goes to your house.  You cant get away from your co workers.  12 people on a bus.))  Job is fun, traveling can be a pain.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anvil case? Super rack?
View Quote
Cases are made by Alcorn cases Nashville TN.  Those are actually a little old.  They get reused over the years.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I was all like nice.  Cool job, but.....meh...rack mount stuff, until I saw the 3rd Power!  Jamie builds great amps!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never understood the use of pedals inside the drawers on the racks. Is each one just dialed in for activation by the foot controller and just used at that one setting?  And do these individual effects still offer something the processors can't provide?  I just finished watching a gear Roundup of U2's Edge's tour setup, sheez he has drawz and drawz of pedals lol.  Cool gig you have btw Sir!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never understood the use of pedals inside the drawers on the racks. Is each one just dialed in for activation by the foot controller and just used at that one setting?  And do these individual effects still offer something the processors can't provide?  I just finished watching a gear Roundup of U2's Edge's tour setup, sheez he has drawz and drawz of pedals lol.  Cool gig you have btw Sir!
View Quote
The midi foot controller turns on multiple things with one push of a button. You can make one button turn on say three analog pedals (through the looper), reverb #27 from the reverb unit, Delay #32 from the delay unit and an effect from the line 6 M9. That's an example. Instead of the player having to tap dance on all of those pedals separately. This pedal board is set up like a playlist for each song. Each song has four presets. One can be lead, one can be rhythm, the other two can be effects 1 & 2.  Makes changing presets alot quicker for the player.  All of it is totally programable as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there a flush mounted 120v input in the rear ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is there a flush mounted 120v input in the rear ?
View Quote
The big Furman takes a quad type AC connector.  My power come from the Monitor guys, so they send me the quad cable.  I just plug it directly in the Furman.  Then everything else runs off of the small Furman up top.  The large Furman is great because it actually regulates the 120.  Takes anything from 80VAC to 148VAC and makes it 118-120VAC.  Sometimes house power sucks bad.  This helps that alot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
What transmitters are you running for the guitar's (I'm assuming wireless setups)

ETA: and are you happy with them?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What transmitters are you running for the guitar's (I'm assuming wireless setups)
View Quote
Shure Axient Digital units.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This pedal board is set up like a playlist for each song. Each song has four presets. One can be lead, one can be rhythm, the other two can be effects 1 & 2.  Makes changing presets alot quicker for the player.  All of it is totally programable as well.
View Quote
That's pretty cool.

Would you be willing to swap out that Bassman for a reasonable copy made from cardboard? I'm happy to trade with you. I'll include a real, working "power" lamp.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Very cool.

I couldn't imagine dealing with that many racks. I guess that's why I went with a Helix. It's made things much simpler.

And nice choice with the Strymon Big Sky, those things sound beautiful.

ETA: And which model is the big Furman? Might have to invest in one of those. I have a Monster 3500, but IIRC, it isn't as flexible on the power input.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Think I may have just seen you on my facebook feed. Someone was taking a video of the PA rig, and there was a guy in guitar world with an acoustic.

If you are indeed in Dallas today, welcome.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Think I may have just seen you on my facebook feed. Someone was taking a video of the PA rig, and there was a guy in guitar world with an acoustic.

View Quote
Yep!  Here today!
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Very cool.

I couldn't imagine dealing with that many racks. I guess that's why I went with a Helix. It's made things much simpler.

And nice choice with the Strymon Big Sky, those things sound beautiful.

ETA: And which model is the big Furman? Might have to invest in one of those. I have a Monster 3500, but IIRC, it isn't as flexible on the power input.
View Quote
Furman P-3600 AR G - They cost about $4.8K
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep!  Here today!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep!  Here today!
Cool. I've been attending shows at that shed  since the early 90s

There were some guys there yesterday geeking out on the PK Trinity "advanced robotic line array", hence the facebook video.

Any comments on the PA?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Enjoyed your show last night! Traveled in from Illinois. Been a fan of his since 2005 when I saw him in a small bar in Champaign IL while in the police academy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#21]
cool thread, thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#22]
what desk for FOH?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Furman P-3600 AR G - They cost about $4.8K
View Quote
Well, if it regulates the power that well, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#24]
With all that gear, I doubt it even matters what the guitar is. The audience would never know if the guitarist went out with my made-in-China Squier Tele.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Does Dierks like 9mm or .45?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Is Dierks a pretty cool guy?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Guess we lost our OP. Oh well, here's a quick interview with their FOH guy, where he talks about that line array I referenced earlier
Dierks Bentley - FOH Engineer - James "Pugsley" McDermott
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Guess we lost our OP. Oh well, here's a quick interview with their FOH guy, where he talks about that line array I referenced earlier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUpfrfhIZeE
View Quote
Probably ODd on 5 Hour Energy.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Want that 3rd Power
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:28:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Are you given the amps/effects and tasked with making it all work together?  or are you asked to recreate the overall album sounds and given liberty to use the effects you feel will capture the sound?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I pretty much design all of Dierks' stuff for him.  The lead player can pretty much pick whatever he wants to use.  The only thing Dierks wouldn't really care about is what the guitars look like onstage.  He doesn't want any hot pink or something that's very bright out there LOL.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#32]
OP Request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top