Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2020 10:24:22 AM EDT
I know there are brands of cigars that are all hype, and flash, but ultimately they suck for one reason or another, but the biggest thing with cigars ultimately is how it taste to us. I have learned here, that there are cigar lines that shouldn't be crossed because of these issues. I have personally made a mental note to not buy anymore Gurkha cigars, and I feel the Graycliff line is pretty much the same. A lot of hype to jack up the cigars prices with not much good about them for me personally.

I have read here, about another brand to avoid because of their political leanings. So like every other product that we moil to obtain, I am curious if there are brands you turn your nose up to with just cause. I have heard that the CEO of Gurkha cigars has publicly apologized about all the hype without the enjoyment, and promised to FIX this issue. I will wait until I hear lots of good reviews about the line before I cross it again.

Some lines I have not purchased from because I want value for my hard earned money so I buy cheaper but still excellent cigars "to me" I haven't ever smoked an Ashton, or a Davidoff strictly because of the cost and the whole diminished returns scale. I have smoked a few Liga Privada, and even an Opus X. I've spent my money on genuine, and fake Cuban cigars learning my lessons with those the hard way. Real ones are wonderful, fake are terrible.

So what brands do you stay away from, and why?

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never had a gurkha that I liked so I have stayed away from them for quite a few years.  I have heard of some political leanings about the Oliva brand, but I do like many of their offerings.

Lately, the Liga Pravada sticks seem to be hit or miss and I will not pay the high price for them ever again.  Some have been amazing and others plugged and tasteless.

I have been working with another smoker who rolls his own and is training me to do the same.  There is a lot that goes into the process and from what I have learned, just like wine the year, crop, and treatment of the yield is key before any blender gets their hands on the leaf.

It is amazing that some factories can produce excellent sticks regularly with consistency.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never had a gurkha that I liked so I have stayed away from them for quite a few years.  I have heard of some political leanings about the Oliva brand, but I do like many of their offerings.

Lately, the Liga Pravada sticks seem to be hit or miss and I will not pay the high price for them ever again.  Some have been amazing and others plugged and tasteless.

I have been working with another smoker who rolls his own and is training me to do the same.  There is a lot that goes into the process and from what I have learned, just like wine the year, crop, and treatment of the yield is key before any blender gets their hands on the leaf.

It is amazing that some factories can produce excellent sticks regularly with consistency.
View Quote

Not sure this will help or not but interesting none the less (to me at least)
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Nh_bRHgFFIvaAHVrAxrrw
Sort of a cigar rolling pointer channel with a few videos.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
ghurka - for reasons you stated
ava maria- always spicey n dry regardless of stick.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have yet to have anything by drew estates that impressed me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top