Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 3:41:54 AM EDT
Link

Damn near 2K?!

Fucking hell I picked a demill mag well for 25.00.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:53:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, not even a consistent finish. At that price, it should come with a coupon book for blowjobs.

I have a demilled receiver that I'll build on an 80% one of these days.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Aren't those rewelds unreliable and prone to failure? Welded aluminum isnt very strong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#4]
But will it get you laid?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aren't those rewelds unreliable and prone to failure? Welded aluminum isnt very strong.
View Quote

I wouldn't parachute into Fallujah with one, but for hobby purposes it's fine. The mag well doesn't need to be very strong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your ignorance in the topic of aluminum welding processes is staggering.

Seriously.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seriously.

View Quote
This.

There was a gentleman back in the day whos rewelds were so good you had to get them x-ray to find out it wasn't original. And these were transferable machine guns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seriously.

View Quote

Isn't 7XXX aluminum not very weldable ?  My understanding is that it is prone to stress cracking after the weld.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Machine gun lower?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Machine gun lower?
View Quote
No.

Semi only.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Isn't 7XXX aluminum not very weldable ?  My understanding is that it is prone to stress cracking after the weld.
View Quote
Link
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That depends on who welded it......
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I was certified welder for years (mil std 1595A) and 7075 is not weldable alloy, sure you can weld it together and make it look good but its not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Was the gunbroker auctioned one a Braceman reweld?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seriously.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Was the gunbroker auctioned one a Braceman reweld?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was certified welder for years (mil std 1595A) and 7075 is not weldable alloy, sure you can weld it together and make it look good but its not.
View Quote
Go on?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Link

Damn near 2K?!

Fucking hell I picked a demill mag well for 25.00.

View Quote

Whomever bought that must hate money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends if the welder knows what he is doing or not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m an uncertified hack with a welder, although I did go to welding school, and this is correct.  

You can stick it together with enough filler rod, and I’ve done that with some receivers, but understand that there is a difference between that and actually welding the metal together in a sustainable weld.  If used in a non-cosmetic way it will eventually break.  

https://www.thefabricator.com/thewelder/article/aluminumwelding/aluminum-workshop-why-isn-t-7075-weldable-
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This.

There was a gentleman back in the day whose rewelds were so good you had to get them x-ray to find out it wasn't original. And these were transferable machine guns.
View Quote

John Norrell is the guy you speak of!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This.

There was a gentleman back in the day whos rewelds were so good you had to get them x-ray to find out it wasn't original. And these were transferable machine guns.
View Quote

John Norrell

His Ruger 10/22 FA trigger packs were awesome, too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’m an uncertified hack with a welder, although I did go to welding school, and this is correct.  

You can stick it together with enough filler rod, and I’ve done that with some receivers, but understand that there is a difference between that and actually welding the metal together in a sustainable weld.  If used in a non-cosmetic way it will eventually break.  

https://www.thefabricator.com/thewelder/article/aluminumwelding/aluminum-workshop-why-isn-t-7075-weldable-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohsnap.gif
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ohsnap.gif
View Quote
Then I guess all those transferable machine guns that are rewelds and shot thousands of rounds through are alllllll junk then.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Seriously.

View Quote

Lol my first thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Typically the filler rod is a good bit weaker than the base material and somehow the entire heat affected zone becomes even weaker after welding. I assume it changes the metal's temper. At least that's the way it works with 6061. At work we are only using 17ksi for welded AL frames. The base metal allowable is 30ksi for reference.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seriously.

View Quote

No kidding.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#28]
It is not even a functional receiver
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Makes me wanna sell mine, but replacing it though...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Then I guess all those transferable machine guns that are rewelds and shot thousands of rounds through are alllllll junk then.

View Quote

Honestly, if they were made from 7075 then yeah it’s possible that some day they break. 7000 series is widely regarded in the industry (welding and fab, not gun industry) as being “not weldable”. Absolutely no person who knows what they are doing would chose it for a welded component.

Now can you actually physically weld it, yes absolutely. You wouldn’t even know the difference during or after welding.

The problem is when the weld sees a load it can (and likely will) develop stress corrosion cracking and eventually fail. This doesnt happen the first time the weld is stressed, it takes time. To the point of machine gun receivers: is the stress put on them by firing the gun enough to induce SCC and eventually failure? I have no clue, but it doesn’t seem like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top