Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2022 12:29:30 AM EDT
I retired out of VA and moved to Texas. My  qualifications were always done at my retiring agency but that obviously is not convenient anymore.

Have any of you used a private qualification business that claims to offer leosa recognized qualifications.

Do I send the qualification to my old agency and they send the card? Does the company give the card?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I retired out of the Nycpd. I moved to pa.  I do my Leosa through a local college The instructor is a retired Pa cop. I get the card from him and the card is endorsed by the county sheriff after he conducts a background check. Nothing is sent to my old agency
I googled a list of hr219 instructors in pa and got a list of qualified people. My first qualification was with a retired pa cop that worked for himself. He got the cards from the pa municipal police training council.
I’d go to my local PD and ask them how their retired guys do it. Local sheriffs office might do it
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I retired out of California, then moved to New Mexico for a few years and finally ended up into Colorado.

When I was in NM, I got my qualification done by a firearms instructor who was retired officer from the local PD. He would send a letter to my old agency and they would send me a new ID card with my current LEOSA status. It was a major pain in the butt as my agency took their sweet time in getting the new ID card back to me.

Since then we have moved to Colorado and I get qualified by the local Sheriff's Office here. These guys are squared away. I think they do send a letter to my old agency, but they issued me their own LEOSA qualification card that I got about a week after I went through the course. My old department is no longer involved in the process at all.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Appreciate the responses.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m federal and moved back to my home State of Washington…. I know, but home is home, due to family.  I conduct a yearly qualification at the State’s Criminal Justice Training Center, which is painless.  Also, the CJT has a roster of local firearms instructors that can do it as well.  

Since I still have family in NYC and in NJ, I make it a point to stay current since these areas are not too gun friendly… Never had an issue, but I want to stay on the safe side, just in case, which means no mags over 10rds, so I carry either a Glock 43 or a Glock 42 since in WA, they list on their card the type of handgun you qualified with on it… Yes, within LEOSA is doesn’t state any requirement for a type of handgun you can carry, but I’m OK with them listing it, in my case.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I qual with the Sheriff Dept where I live when they have open range quals. They have been really nice. They issue the card,    My service is a mix or Fed +Texas + State of Iowa. I would start by talking to the Sheriff Dept where you live.  Some agencies are very helpful. TCOLE has been difficult to deal with.  They think Texas CCP 2.122  is a complete list of QRLEO eligible federal agencies, but it isn't.

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Your old agency issues a new card each year? We have our retiree card and the state has an option of issuing a new qual card each year. The qual card does not matter and only proof of the course is all you need.

Or did you at least get one retiree card saying you retired meeting the LEOSA requirements?

As for local quals, it is a state specific and agency specific choice as to what they deem as the type of qual. My state has a law allowing/mandating local LE to do the qual and CCW instructors can do it too.

It does not matter about revolver or semi. It is ALL the same. The fed definition of type refers to handgun, rifle, etc. Not the type of action. That is what matters and not a local or state definition.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Texas allows License To Carry (LTC) instructors to do LEOSA qualifications.

https://www.tcole.texas.gov/sites/default/files/FormsAppsPubs/Officer%20Firearms%20Certificate.pdf
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I plan on doing it once I retire .

Once I move out of state I will have to find someone willing to do it for me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Texas allows License To Carry (LTC) instructors to do LEOSA qualifications.

https://www.tcole.texas.gov/sites/default/files/FormsAppsPubs/Officer%20Firearms%20Certificate.pdf
View Quote

And TCOLE has a special ID they issue for out of state and federal retired officers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Every state is going to be different in how it handles LEOSA.

I'm certified to provide LEOSA certification for those who retired and live in MA or retired from MA. Mass State Police provides LEOSA instructor credentials to those that meet the state's requirements, so we are each private entities. We provide the annual qualification certificate to our students and provide documentation of same to the Mass State Police and the agency that the student retired from.

Living in NH, I found it very difficult to get info on who might qualify me annually, so I go back to MA and get qualified from a private instructor who I've been going to prior to my move out of MA.

ETA: For MA qualification, no record is made of the gun used, you can use any handgun you like and only have to do this once/year. You can carry anything you like under LEOSA (mags are restricted to 10 rds unless they were mfd on/before 9/13/1994 for retirees per state law).
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Find a local department that will do it for out of state retirees. Mine does it and we have a good mix that come from all across the U.S.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top