Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2019 11:04:46 AM EDT
https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/06/ask-the-author-interview-with-justice-john-paul-stevens/#more-286730
The interviewer is one of Stevens' former clerks.
Question: OK, you’ve mentioned Heller, and I should say it was very kind of you to mention my assistance with your dissent in that case. I was going to ask you to talk a little bit about why, of all of the cases that you participated in during your time on the court, Heller is the one that still keeps you up at night.

Justice Stevens: It’s just a recurring problem that confronts us almost — if not on a daily basis, then at least on a weekly basis. These mass shootings are peculiar to America and are peculiar to a country that has the Second Amendment. So I think that interpreting the Second Amendment to protect the individual right to own firearms is really just absurd, and it’s also terribly important. It happens over and over and over again. I think I should have been more forceful in making that point in my Heller dissent. I don’t blame you any more than I blame myself for failing to place more emphasis on that point.

It’s a characteristic of American society that is not shared by any other civilized country. I find it really mind-boggling that my suggestion that we ought to approach the problem by just getting rid of the Second Amendment really has not captured more popular support, because it’s so obvious that it’s an undesirable part of our government structure.

Question: When Heller was decided, there were people who argued that whether it was correct or incorrect, it was a victory for originalism, because not only Justice Antonin Scalia’s majority opinion, but also your dissent engaged very extensively with founding-era materials. I was going to ask you to explain why you decided to fight so much of the Heller opinion on originalism’s terrain.

Justice Stevens: I didn’t really think at the time or I don’t think now that the question of whether originalism is sound constitutional interpretation had any particular relevance to the outcome of that case. We’re trying to understand what the draftsmen of the provision intended, and a lot of the evidence depends on the fact that New York and Philadelphia and Boston had local laws that would have been unconstitutional under the amendment as construed today. That’s the point that Justice Breyer made so effectively in his dissent. I didn’t think of it in terms of whether we were fighting an originalist battle or just a common-sense battle.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Why should we care what he says..... he gave up his right to an opinion when he retired...
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't have to care, but he's one of the few "honest" liberals that is willing to explicitly call for the repeal of the 2nd.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck that
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Liar, or willfully ignorant. Mass shootings are not "peculiar to America".
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldnt COC if somebody COC into his COC in the middle of the COC to COC that POS.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You think people are violent now? Wait until you try this shit, Libtards. Prohibition will have nothing on the supposed repeal of the 2A.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck her.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't have to care, but he's one of the few "honest" liberals that is willing to explicitly call for the repeal of the 2nd.
View Quote
You mean an honest Bolshevik/Fascist.    The classical liberal is actually a Libertarian..
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck him...he should be sitting at home picking out his gravesite or down at Walgreens looking at sympathy cards.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
How in the hell did he ever get nominated and approved?

Their job, their one and only job, is to determine if a law, or a court decision (judge or jury) meets the guidelines of the US Constitution.

Not to decide whether or not the US Constitution is right, or whole, or needs to be modified, or any damn thing else.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank God he’s no longer on the court.

I don’t think he wants to admit what the militia truly is.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Their job, their one and only job, is to determine if a law, or a court decision (judge or jury) meets the guidelines of the US Constitution.

Not to decide whether or not the US Constitution is right, or whole, or needs to be modified, or any damn thing else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Illinois corruption.
In 1969, the Greenberg Commission, appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court to investigate Sherman Skolnick's corruption allegations leveled at former Chief Justice Ray Klingbiel and current Chief Justice Roy Solfisburg, named Stevens as their counsel, meaning that he essentially served as the commission's special prosecutor.[4] The Commission was widely thought to be a whitewash, but Stevens proved them wrong by vigorously prosecuting the justices, forcing them from office in the end.[12] As a result of the prominence he gained during the Greenberg Commission, Stevens became Second Vice President of the Chicago Bar Association in 1970.
Judicial career, 1970–2010

Stevens's role in the Greenberg Commission catapulted him to prominence and was largely responsible for President Richard Nixon's decision to appoint Stevens as a Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit on November 20, 1970. His nomination was put forth by a former University of Chicago classmate, Illinois Senator Charles H. Percy.[13]

President Gerald Ford then nominated him as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in 1975 to replace Justice William O. Douglas, who had recently retired, and he took his seat December 19, 1975, after being confirmed 98–0 by the Senate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Stevens
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
FTG
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Mass shootings have nothing to do with interpreting the constitution as written.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]
How about we repeal his pension.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why should we care what he says..... he gave up his right to an opinion when he retired...
View Quote
Naw, he still gets an opinion, it just doesn't count any more than yours or mine now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]
The current sitting Justices often times consult with the past sitting Justices, been going on since the beginning lawyers are always consulting with each other and at the root, that is all they are.  Stevens is just trying to assert more information than his current retired status allows him.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#18]
If he thinks it needs to be repealed, then he knows what it really means and that their interpretations have been wrong
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The current sitting Justices often times consult with the past sitting Justices, been going on since the beginning lawyers are always consulting with each other and at the root, that is all they are.  Stevens is just trying to assert more information that his current retired status allows him.
View Quote
I think occasionally retired SCOTUS justices have also participated in 3-judge panels to hear a case or two in the circuit courts.
O'Connor comes to mind, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 1:39:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think occasionally retired SCOTUS justices have also participated in 3-judge panels to hear a case or two in the circuit courts.
O'Connor comes to mind, IIRC.
View Quote
You are probably right, I have met Sandra several times over the years and she did pay attention vehemently over the years after she retired.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 2:10:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Retired justice stevens is welcome to retire to some other country without a pesky 2nd amendment or other freedoms he doesn't like.  There are only 3 countries with a right to bear arms, so he still has 192 left to choose from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top