Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2020 1:17:14 PM EDT
What are your local hobby shops doing to provide you with products?

Our LHS (western Illinois) closed the sales floor as of Saturday PM. They plan to offer phone & Internet order service with a drive by pickup daily normal hours. Drive by drop off and pickup of RC repairs.

Their suppliers have assured them that supplies are and will be available and promptly shipped.

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Local Hobby shop?????   The last one around here closed years ago.  You don't mean Hobby Town?  That's not a hobby shop.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry you have none.  Ours is locally owned by a retired BioMedical Imaging Engineer that does lots of radio & electronic repair. Been open for 50 + years. They have about a 3,000 Sq Ft of retail space.  

Everything from gaming to all types of RC models, balsa kits plastic model kits etc.  

Google Quincy Hobby in Quincy, IL  lots of interior pictures or visit www.quincyhobby.com.

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You are indeed a lucky boy!  The ones in the closest large city around me were always a treat to go to.  All owned by individuals that were  into hobbys themselves.  That's where you went to learn.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I was impacted.

We have 2 LHS, one independent place that is mostly cars and Horizon airplanes.  I go in for parts and such if I think he has it. Maybe 4x a year. Really good dude, supports the hobby locally.

The other one is a HobbyClown.  They have been taking over more and more space for toys and such.  Employees are ass-clowns.  I maybe visit once a year to remind myself why I don't buy anything from them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
LHS shut down a few years ago.  Michaels and Hobby Lobby  are hobby-ish stores.  I recall years ago Meijer's stores had a decent mix of model kits and supplies years ago.  The better stores selling model RR/ RC and models and rockets are over 30-40 miles away.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
We have several hobby shops around here however they're all going to be closed because they're non-essential
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
1 rc shop, not too local, its out in the boonies.

I went a few weeks ago looking for tires for my old kysosho* rc car.

nope.  and I noticed that of the 200 different rc cars and trucks they sold they were ALL prefabbed chinese crappers. !
ok maybe they werent chinese, but they were all pre assembled.

$500 for a premade rc truck ??

1) I am in the wrong business

2) wheres the hobby in having everything 'prefabbed' ??

If anyone lives in Japan can I get you to send me some Kyosho 50mm tires for an original 1988 Ultima?
they sell them in japan, but do not ship to the usa, or outside japan.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

nope.  and I noticed that of the 200 different rc cars and trucks they sold they were ALL prefabbed chinese crappers. !

If anyone lives in Japan can I get you to send me some Kyosho 50mm tires for an original 1988 Ultima?
View Quote

No parts?  Must not have many  competition types buying from them or enough interest in aftermarket parts that a league or competition circuit would demand.  Sort of like car dealerships that have Corvettes on the lot being capable of selling them.

The local shop near me's niche was rocketry.  Only place I seen F, G, and H engines.  Lots of higher end imported model kits as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I owned a hobby shop in the '80s and it was difficult then even pre-internet. I suspect strong shops will continue and weak will not make it, both LHS and HT.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

All over eBay.  You can even get complete kits still.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultima-rims-and-tires-Kyosho-/153880926317
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Local place is doing about the same. Phone in your order, they pull it and meet you at the door to finish the transaction.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I had about 8 things on my wish list Friday, when I went to order yesterday, only 2 were still in stock.

They're doing online orders only, but I'm still ordering what I can from them. Unfortunately they're busy and the orders are taking longer than a lot of bigger places out of state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top