Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2019 5:27:39 PM EDT
I am looking for some advice on strategy for dialogue with a representative.  I received the following response from one of my representatives-

First of all, thank you for reaching out to me.

I understand your concern and while I acknowledge there are some instances of guns being used appropriately in self defense, the data overwhelmingly shows that gun ownership places people in more danger, not less. While the events in Virginia Beach were tragic, it is unlikely that adding more guns to the equation would have helped. I'm willing to consider any solutions to the current epidemic that can be brought to the table, but ultimately I and experts on the issue see common sense reforms that can make significant reductions to gun violence while respecting law abiding gun ownership.

Delegate Ibraheem Samirah
86th District, Virginia House of Delegates
District Office: 1-571-324-2448
Richmond Office: 1-804-698-1086

I suspect this is all typical language given to all of them.   I asked him what data shows him... which solutions he is considering, which experts he is in accord with that see common sense reforms, what kind of reductions to gun violence is he expecting.

I suspect many here know, or have ready reference to legitimate facts/data that would be useful in trying to discourage someone like this from making grave errors just to toe the party line.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to see some real numbers also. Dollars to donuts this asshat is referencing the stat that says if you own guns you’re more likely to be shot.

If you ride in a car you’re more likely to be in a crash.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#2]
But it probably wouldn't have hurt for there to be more guns in the equation.

ETA - Please post that response in the VA HTF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top