Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2019 12:16:59 PM EDT
I have to be honest and admit I don’t know very much regarding Masonry only the general outlines, so I don’t know if what I am looking for can even be answered.

I apologize in advance if I’m asking something that can’t be answered due to oaths involved etc.

My great grandfather was involved with the Masons a great deal of his life. At one point he moved from Va to Delaware to further his involvement with the organization. I don’t know a great deal regarding his involvement, just that he is buried in a Masonic cemetery in Delaware. I do vividly remember the effect that particular grave yard had on me at such a young age.

When I was little he would come visit my grandmother for about a week out of every year. During those visits, we would go every day to spend time with him. Every evening he insisted I go with him on a walk, being his only great grandson, he was adamant that it was just himself and I. I remember these walks, but sadly not the content of the conversations. Only that there was a great deal of discussion regarding life and viewpoints that were all together different from most of the adults around me.

I’ve always felt that despite not being able to remember these conversations they have shaped a great deal of my perspective in life. Whenever my parents bring up our walks and what we would talk about, I’ve always told them I honestly don’t remember much, but it was like he was giving me seed sentences left to grow on there own.

Despite not getting to spend an enormous amount of time with him, I have an innate respect for him unlike anyone I’ve ever met.

So to my question......is there any way I can find out more about his involvement with the Masons, without becoming one?

Not necessarily the workings of the Order, but his place in it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
A good starting point would be the Grand Lodge of Virginia.  They should be able to tell you which lodge he was a member of and may have some additional information about his Masonic record.  From there contact the lodge or lodges he was a member of.  He may have also be involved with appendant bodies (Shrine, York Rite, Scottish Rite).  It may take some leg work, but you should be able to find out a good deal about his masonic record.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good starting point would be the Grand Lodge of Virginia.  They should be able to tell you which lodge he was a member of and may have some additional information about his Masonic record.  From there contact the lodge or lodges he was a member of.  He may have also be involved with appendant bodies (Shrine, York Rite, Scottish Rite).  It may take some leg work, but you should be able to find out a good deal about his masonic record.
View Quote
Thank you. I actually know the local lodge he was a member of before moving away. I just didn’t know if it was appropriate to ask for any information since I am not a member.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, I had a similar situation several years ago and contacted my grandfather's lodge.  They bent over backwards to gather his masonic history for me AND get me in touch with brothers that had known him when he was alive.

I'm guessing that if you call the lodge secretary, they would be very happy to help you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OP, I had a similar situation several years ago and contacted my grandfather's lodge.  They bent over backwards to gather his masonic history for me AND get me in touch with brothers that had known him when he was alive.

I'm guessing that if you call the lodge secretary, they would be very happy to help you.
View Quote
That’s very encouraging. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You stated that he moved to Deleware.  Also contact their Grand Lodge.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The grand lodges and the secretary of his home lodge should be able to help you out.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for your help.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:12:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Just wondering you said you had all this respect for this man and clearly he taught you something when you were little. did you never have any thought that maybe you should seek to join the membership?
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A good starting point would be the Grand Lodge of Virginia.
View Quote
This... My GF was a Mason and I only found out at his funeral. I'm now a Mason in Texas, The Grand Lodge of PA was very helpful with information on his Masonic Travels.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just wondering you said you had all this respect for this man and clearly he taught you something when you were little. did you never have any thought that maybe you should seek to join the membership?
View Quote
To be honest, I am working toward this I believe.It’s not a decision though I want to make fleetingly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To be honest, I am working toward this I believe.It's not a decision though I want to make fleetingly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be honest, I am working toward this I believe.It's not a decision though I want to make fleetingly.
The longer you wait, the more you will kick yourself in the ass for waiting
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do sorta have that feeling in the back of my mind. Lol. But I want to make sure being a father, I can honestly make the commitment.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do sorta have that feeling in the back of my mind. Lol. But I want to make sure being a father, I can honestly make the commitment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Symbolic Lodge is usually two nights a month.  You’ll have to put some time in to get your lessons down between degrees.  After you’re raised take your time before going into more things.

I can tell you beyond any doubt that Masonry has made me a better husband, father and friend.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Symbolic Lodge is usually two nights a month.  You’ll have to put some time in to get your lessons down between degrees.  After you’re raised take your time before going into more things.

I can tell you beyond any doubt that Masonry has made me a better husband, father and friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the information. I emailed his local Lodge this morning. I’ll update this as it unfolds.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Getting involved does take a bit of time investment, a couple of hours a week or so. After getting through the degrees it's largely up to you how much you participate, you'll get as much out of Masonry as you are willing to pursue. It does have a peculiar draw, doesn't hurt that most gatherings involve grub & coffee
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thank you. I actually know the local lodge he was a member of before moving away. I just didn’t know if it was appropriate to ask for any information since I am not a member.
View Quote
I would simply start by asking his lodge if they could introduce you to any friends or associates he had. They may have all kinds of information and stories to share.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top