Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2019 12:10:53 AM EDT
This summer I will be relocating to Seattle/Tacoma area, looking on the HRC website and the closest unit with 12B slots is a MAC unit 300+ miles away in Hayden, Idaho.  The other unit I was looking at is a Sapper company out of Concord, CA (bay area), and would require a flight + rental car every month.  Are those options that I have available or am I outside of a mileage limitation?  I do not want to reclass, I have 4 years left and would like to retire as a 12B.  Im not looking for DS duty or any instructor positions, I want to ride my time out in a line unit.  Anyone that has been in this position, how does this work?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This summer I will be relocating to Seattle/Tacoma area, looking on the HRC website and the closest unit with 12B slots is a MAC unit 300+ miles away in Hayden, Idaho.  The other unit I was looking at is a Sapper company out of Concord, CA (bay area), and would require a flight + rental car every month.  Are those options that I have available or am I outside of a mileage limitation?  I do not want to reclass, I have 4 years left and would like to retire as a 12B.  Im not looking for DS duty or any instructor positions, I want to ride my time out in a line unit.  Anyone that has been in this position, how does this work?
View Quote
I was in a CA unit in MD for a while and we had people coming in from all over the country.  Mostly because the unit was on jump status, but a large number of those guys were footing the bill themselves to get there.  I know that the folks who did have to travel a ways would get their housing covered, but no idea on mileage/airfare.

FWIW, I've been a HRC DIMA for the past few years and while the work has been awesome, the support from HRC and DFAS is abysmal.  I routinely have to fight with them to get travel vouchers paid.  They're still refusing to pay my airfare to last years AT and have completely denied my travel voucher this year on grounds that the smartvoucher PDF I used off the DFAS website is "illegible" and cannot be processed.  Never mind the fact that I'm likely going to have to take the army to court to get the $20K bonus I signed up for which conveniently got "lost" by DFAS (but there are two signed copies of in my OMPF, so go figure).

Never mind the fact that my clearance renewal is held up for reasons, according to the OPM investigator ranging from "when you were on active duty at Fort Campbell, kentuckyk, why did you live in clarksville tennessee" along with "your reserve job at Fort Campbell is not within commuting distance of your residence in virginia, how do you perform daily work at your reserve job when you live somewhere else."  Its shocking how incompetent OPM is, and that I have to explain not only geography but also how the Army works to them...

Not really the answers you were looking for, but for me the reserve is getting way too stupid and just not worth the pain that it inflicts on my family and day job.  Not sure I can pull off another 7 years of this crap...

Okay, rant off...
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:12:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive learned quickly since coming back in, you need to become a DTS master really fast if you want your money.  Nobody at the unit is going to fix your shit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive learned quickly since coming back in, you need to become a DTS master really fast if you want your money.  Nobody at the unit is going to fix your shit.
View Quote
Dude, DIMAs cannot use DTS.  I'm at the mercy of a supervisor at USASOC and then DFAS to submit and process my 1351-2...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top