Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2019 4:21:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 6:29:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dirtydog] [#1]
I may bicker with a couple in the middle, but this looks pretty much straight on. JMHO

Feathers are definitely in a category of their own. Some don't appreciate them and feel a bit intimidated. They can cut you quick.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems about right on. Feathers are too sharp/harsh for me. I liken them to a 1911 with a hair trigger. Astra SP work great for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dirtydog:
I may bicker with a couple in the middle, but this looks pretty much straight on. JMHO

Feathers are definitely in a category of their own. Some don't appreciate them and feel a bit intimidated. They can cut you quick.
View Quote
I use the Feathers in all my Vintage Gillette's
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 7:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TARHEEL_85] [#4]
I ran across this at https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary/ and figured I'd post it.
ETA:after you click on the quote you have to scroll down some to get to the chart for some reason

Blades Sharpest to Least by Overall
Average from New to After Second Shave
Sharpness New Sharpness After First Shave Sharpness After Second Shave Sharpness Average

BIC Chrome Platinum
-

Perma-Sharp Super
-
41 30 37 36
Gillette Nacet Stainless
-
39 35 38 37
Feather
-
32 40 40 37
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black)
-
45 32 36 38
Wilkinson Sword (German)
-
46 33 34 38
Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds)
-
41 37 36 38
Crystal
-
44 37 38 40
Personna Comfort Coated (Lab Blue)
-
48 37 35 40
Astra Super Stainless
-
43 38 40 40
Rapira Platinum Lux
-
44 38 39 40
Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp Stainless (Green) (India)
-
45 35 42 41
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Green) (Russia)
-
45 38 40 41
Gillette Platinum
-
45 38 39 41
Wilkinson Sword (Gillette)
-
43 40 41 41
Voskhod
-
42 41 39 41
Gillette Silver Blue
-
46 41 35 41
PolSilver Super Iridium
-
46 39 40 42
Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
-
46 43 42 44
Kai Stainless Steel
-
53 42 39 45
Gillette Rubie Plus
-
50 45 41 45
Sputnik
-
52 43 44 46
Treet Platinum
-
45 46 46 46
Astra Superior Platinum
-
49 46 44 46
Rapira Swedish Super Steel
-
47 48 47 47
Big Ben Super Stainless
-
49 45 49 48
Derby Premium
-
51 46 46 48
Derby Extra (Green)
-
53 44 51 49
Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile
-
52 46 49 49
Merkur
-
53 51 46 50
Shark Super Stainless
-
47 51 56 51
Rockwell Razors
-
54 51 54 53
Treet Carbon (Black Beauty)
-
52 62 69 61
Super Tian Li Blue Blades
-
67 61 60 63

Blades not yet tested:
7 am Hi-Platinum
Dorco ST-300 Platinum
Dorco ST-301 Stainless
Ladas Super Stainless
Lord Super Stainless
Rapira Stainless Chrome
Rapira Super Stainless
Schick Premium
Shark Super Chrome
Treet 7 Day Platinum
Treet Classic
Treet Dura Sharp
Treet King Super Stainless

The Test:
A digital scale is purposed to hold a clip with a pre-tensioned piece of test media. The blade edge (in this case a razor blade) is then pushed against the test media until it is severed. The scale is programmed to record the maximum force required to cut the test media.

The logic is that the lower the force required, the sharper the blade. The grams required to sever the test media is then considered to be the sharpness value.

To be consistent, a jig has been fabricated to hold the razor blade. Brass strips are used to make sure there is no bend in the blade, and the blade itself is affixed to sliding rails to make sure all the blades sever the test media clip at exactly the same angle.

Due to the sensitivity of such fine values and some very slight variations in the blade edge, a truncated mean (average) will be used. You can see in the picture below that the razor blade edge is not perfectly consistent all the way across.

4 readings are taken from each side of each blade, and the highest and lowest overall reading will be discarded. The average of the remaining 6 readings will be the given sharpness value for the blade. The logic to this type of statistical average is that if there is one significant outlier reading, it will not significantly impact the overall average.

Razor Blade Durability (Edge Sharpness Retention):
This test is designed to see how long a blade will last, and the consistency of the shaves.

Each blade will get its initial sharpness value based off 6 readings. I will then shave once, and then take 6 more readings (I will be as prudent as I can to ensure I am using both sides equally). I will then shave one more time, and then take 6 more readings after the second shave.

This will give a factor for how long each blade can retain its initial sharpness, and might provide some insight as to how many times you can use a blade.

The factor will be (current reading/previous reading), so a factor closest to 1.0 will be the most consistent. A factor of 1.0 will mean the blade did not lose any sharpness, a reading of 2.0 will mean that it took twice as much force to sever the test media, so the blade is essentially half as sharp as it was. A factor of 0.9 means that the blade edge is about 10% sharper than it was.

Again, note that this will have no bearing on the blade coating or smoothness, so the blade may loose smoothness while still retaining edge sharpness.

Of course, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Please note that I shave my head and my face, so each one of my shaves may be equivalent to two of someone that is just shaving their face. I also have relatively strong growth, except for the top of my head. To be consistent, all shaves will be done using 48 hours of growth (+/- a couple hours) using a Merkur 34C.

After the second shave I usually toss my blade regardless, which would equal about 4-5 face only shaves (I shave my head and face). Once the baseline testing is completed for all the blades (initial sharpness and after 1 and 2 shaves) I plan to return to some of the blades and see just how many shaves they can be pushed.

refinedshave.com Razor Blade Sharpness Testing Demonstration
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never used 95% of the blades on that list, but I agree with Feather's ranking. It's a shame that I don't get more than 3 shaves with one, otherwise I wouldn't have gone back to my Mach 3 razor. I guess I kind of got tired of swapping DE blades too. Popping cartridges on and off is so much more convenient.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I butchered the shit out of myself with a Feather this morning.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:12:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cubanchurchill:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Me too.  My favorite shave is a Feather blade in a 1953 Gillette Super Speed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#8]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cb4017:

I put a Feather into my 1905 Single Ring....bad plan....I thought I had slit my throat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Feather is all I use. Go slowly and they are safe.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Of all these blades my favorite are definitely the Feather and the SI (Super Iridium). The SI is about as smooth as it gets yet still is sharp enough to cut an old thick beard. For those that have issues with the Feather you should probably give these a try. Be sure its the blue, not brown packaging.

I probably have enough of both to last me well into the Hereafter.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I use feather and love them. They're actually the first blade I used when I started using a DE razor and I've been underwhelmed with everything I've tried since. I use them 2-3 times and then toss them. My facial hair grows quickly and even with that being the case, the shave with a Feather is so close I can shave the night before work and by the following evening my face looks about like it would have the next morning if I'd shaved with a cartridge razor. I buy them in bulk off amazon and they're cheap enough I don't mind tossing them after 2-3 shaves.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Feather is all I use and never had a problem. I’m retired and I shave only about every 3 to 5 days. I always shave after a shower so my beard is pretty wet and I only use a shaving gel out of a can. Never in a rush so I take my time and let the blade do what it is designed to do.  I compare shaving to someone with a radial saw trying to hurry the cut through the wood instead of letting the blade cut at its own pace.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crusader44] [#13]
Good post OP. Yeah, as I've mentioned before, Feather is just savage. Anything other than a perfectly flat piece of skin for me and it's transfusion time. ETA: I have had the exact same experience with Shark blades as well. I should've invested in Charmin before attempting to shave with them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Feathers are definitely sharp AF and they also wear out the quickest IMO.  

I've used a ton of blades since I started DE shaving about 10 years ago.  Your razor head and its gap and aggressiveness also contributes a lot to the blade performance, though.  

I've got a 2015 Wolfman WRH1 handle and WR1-DC razor head by Wolfman Razors.  I'm not sure they even make this combo anymore and when I ordered mine I got him to custom engrave the year 2015 on it.  When I ordered mine, he was still accepting orders for custom blade gaps to achieve a desired aggressiveness but I dunno if he still does this.  I forget the mm my blade gap is; I wish I would have had him engrave that too.  

For my specific razor head, KAI and Gillette Silver Blue work the best for me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top