Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2019 4:01:45 PM EDT
Over from TTAG, they discovered some interesting news.

Does Benchmade Knives Support Second Amendment Rights?

According to opensecrets.com, Benchmade has made political contributions to a number of politicians over the years and they've been trending in one particular direction.

Here are Benchmade's top contribution recipients:

Ron Wyden (D-OR)    $12,900
Kurt Schrader, (D-OR)    $11,900
Mark Udall (D-CO)    $5,200
Martin Heinrich (D-NM)    $2,700
Scott Brown (R-MA)    $1,000
Robert Cornilles (R-OR)    $1,000
Greg Walden (R-OR)    $1,000

Kurt Schrader has a decent record on guns. He voted yes on national reciprocity in 2017. The other major recipients of Benchmade's contributions, however, are more troubling.

Martin Heinrich (D-NM), is unquestionably anti-gun. He, along with Mark Udall, sponsored the federal universal background check bill in the Senate. Ron Wyden (D-OR) isn't any better on the Second Amendment. He's supported UBCs and magazine capacity limits, as well as allowing lawsuits against firearm makers when guns that had been sold legally are later used in crimes.

To the casual observer, gun rights supporters, and potential knife customers, this isn't a good look. The Venn diagram of gun owners and knife customers shows a lot of overlap and this could give many of them reason to look elsewhere for their next blade.

I've asked Benchmade for comment on their political contributions but haven't received a response yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
FBM
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad I've always went with Kershaw and ZT.  Got a few Buck 110s as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I'm done with Benchmade. Hadn't replaced the last Grip I lost, won't be replaced with another BM this time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the information. Open And Shut.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FBM
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Out of state Dems at that. I could see bribing...er...donating money to local dems for "favors" if you were a big business stuck in a blue area but why in the hell are they donating to out of state democrats if they aren't in fact democrats themselves...

FBM
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you for the information. Open And Shut.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I met Mrs. Benchmade in an elevator once. FBM. I'm done with them. Use them until they're done and trash them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Glad I've always went with Kershaw and ZT.  Got a few Buck 110s as well.
View Quote
Same, their products always looked overpriced for what they were.

All my folders are ZTs with one holdover Emerson had a nasty zero grind put on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
No kidding!
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
FBM!
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I would like to retract my previous statements in support of Benchmade Knives. I still don’t have any issues with them chopping up guns that were court ordered for destruction. I also can look past a few minor bribes to local politicians.

Tossing money to out of state anti-2A shitbags is a dead stop “fuck that guy and anyone near him” for me.

If I had a Bitchmade I would be sending it in for a sharpening, then posting it up on ebay for $10. The most damage you can do is put a strain on their labor force and then steal a customer who might have purchased a knife from them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#14]
lol GD beat TTAG to this info by a mile

FBM
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would like to retract my previous statements in support of Benchmade Knives. I still don’t have any issues with them chopping up guns that were court ordered for destruction. I also can look past a few minor bribes to local politicians.

Tossing money to out of state anti-2A shitbags is a dead stop “fuck that guy and anyone near him” for me.

If I had a Bitchmade I would be sending it in for a sharpening, then posting it up on ebay for $10. Them most damage you can do is put a strain on their labor force and then steal a customer who might have purchased a knife from them.
View Quote
You are local to this fiasco yes?
Anything in the local news about it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Good timing as I was about to pull the trigger...Thanks for sharing
Off to explore other options
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Following the England method, knives would be banned after the guns are banned.

And yet another company shooting themselves in the foot....
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been seeing things around here and been wondering why we hate Benchmade now.

Is there a coordinated email campaign to their offices so we can watch them come out with their sorrowful public statement?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FBM
View Quote
Folks on Twitter and FB had it well before even GD. Still, worth reporting, but I wouldn’t frame it like TTAG found anything here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#21]
They'll continue to sell their knives to Fudds though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
Out them all! We need to know where out money is going.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Folks on Twitter and FB had it well before even GD. Still, worth reporting, but I wouldn't frame it like TTAG found anything here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FBM
Folks on Twitter and FB had it well before even GD. Still, worth reporting, but I wouldn't frame it like TTAG found anything here.
In TTAGs defense and other Blogs. There is a process to get things posted. Has to go through review, editing, confirming cites, etc....

This news kinda spread like wildfire. So no one really can pinpoint who broke the news first. I do know that the article was in review since the mid morning because I ran across the draft while submitting my own articles on an unrelated subject.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
I have no dog in the BM fight but this is a bummer. Guess I'll find someone else. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Th only thing worse than your enemy is a traitor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Over from TTAG, they discovered some interesting news.

Does Benchmade Knives Support Second Amendment Rights?

According to opensecrets.com, Benchmade has made political contributions to a number of politicians over the years and they've been trending in one particular direction.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Screen-Shot-2019-02-21-at-11.28.10-AM.png

Here are Benchmade's top contribution recipients:

Ron Wyden (D-OR)    $12,900
Kurt Schrader, (D-OR)    $11,900
Mark Udall (D-CO)    $5,200
Martin Heinrich (D-NM)    $2,700
Scott Brown (R-MA)    $1,000
Robert Cornilles (R-OR)    $1,000
Greg Walden (R-OR)    $1,000

Kurt Schrader has a decent record on guns. He voted yes on national reciprocity in 2017. The other major recipients of Benchmade's contributions, however, are more troubling.

Martin Heinrich (D-NM), is unquestionably anti-gun. He, along with Mark Udall, sponsored the federal universal background check bill in the Senate. Ron Wyden (D-OR) isn't any better on the Second Amendment. He's supported UBCs and magazine capacity limits, as well as allowing lawsuits against firearm makers when guns that had been sold legally are later used in crimes.

To the casual observer, gun rights supporters, and potential knife customers, this isn't a good look. The Venn diagram of gun owners and knife customers shows a lot of overlap and this could give many of them reason to look elsewhere for their next blade.

I've asked Benchmade for comment on their political contributions but haven't received a response yet.
View Quote
Kurt Schrader, who is my congressman, is still a political hack. When Gabby Giffords was shot, he immediately issued a statement that the shooting was the fault of Rush Limbaugh and conservative talk radio, who had influenced the shooter. Of course it wasn't, but he couldn't pass up a chance to bash conservatives. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#27]
WTH I just sent one off for a refresh.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#29]
So where do I sell my autos and spring assisted Adamas, Purdue, Griptillian and Vallation since EBay doesnt let you? Want to raise funds for buying knives from 2nd amendment supporting companies?

Normally I'd list them here but that seems counter productive now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have no dog in the BM fight but this is a bummer. Guess I'll find someone else. Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
fuckin same.  Not just flashlights but a HOST of gun shit.  Glad I haven't yet pulled the trigger on a large NFA purchase - it was going to be a Surefire
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So where do I sell my autos and spring assisted Adamas, Purdue, Griptillian and Vallation since EBay doesnt let you? Want to raise funds for buying knives from 2nd amendment supporting companies?

Normally I'd list them here but that seems counter productive now.
View Quote
Well, you have already paid for them, shucking them won't help.  Use 'em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top