Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2021 10:32:16 PM EDT
Its looking like I'll be buying a new refrigerator soon.  I've never really had to do this before, so I'm kind of clueless about whats good and whats crap.

I'm just looking to get a pretty typical residential fridge.  Definitely not spending a small fortune on anything fancy.  I'm just a single guy who lives alone, I don't need something like a Sub Zero.

For now I'm just trying to figure out if there are brands that are known to be shit.  I think I've heard that Samsung refrigerators have been a headache for a lot of people, but nothing else is really coming to mind about other brands like LG, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, etc.

Any input?

Paging the good doctor: @DrFridge
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Avoid the Korean brands: LG and Samsung.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

See above
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Every sales guy I talked to said to avoid Samsung. Apparently if they ever need service, it's a total PITA.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
That first post thing strikes again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Just don't buy anything from LG
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
we just replaced ours. LG.
it was 3 or 4 years old.
so I agree don't buy one of those.
one before that was a samsung. Also only lasted 3 or 4 years.

LG had us because of the size, biggest fridge you could get without going to comercial or the expensive one, forget the name.

But having to buy one every 4 years is a bit much.

Whirlpool now. was told they have the least issue, but that everyone has icemaker issues, so expect that. but it should die like the other.

Worst thing is they push a 10 year warranty for their compressor. But it leaked freon instead. So it wasn't covered as part of the warranty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
LG and Samsung.  Good phones - garbage appliances.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
avoid LG and Kenmore. Kenmore is built by LG.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#11]
All my Frigidaire appliances were garbage.  Fridge died after 3 years (compressor), stove needed 2 circuit boards under warranty and you can't boil water on the back burner.  The steam causes the electronics to shut the whole stove off.  

The dishwasher is the only thing that hasn't failed, but it doesn't work all that well either.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My LG took a shit at 9 months, I hear Samsung is about the same quality.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Say no to samsung....
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Frigidaire.

Avoid as if it had meth sores on it’s face, needle tracks in the arms, and was asking you for a place to stay.

Seriously, fuck Frigidaire.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#16]
We have a Bosch that is 3 years old.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Whirlpool now. was told they have the least issue, but that everyone has icemaker issues, so expect that. but it should die like the other.
View Quote

X2 on Whirlpool.  However I only buy basic ones. I hate side by side & the ice maker is disabled anyway cause hard water.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Frigidaire.

Avoid as if it had meth sores on it’s face, needle tracks in the arms, and was asking you for a place to stay.

Seriously, fuck Frigidaire.
View Quote

lol it's a good thing I decided to consult with GD first.

I was just looking on the Home Depot site and Frigidaire seemed like a decent option, based on price and availability.  I was about to pull the trigger and order one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#21]
We buy larger side by sides as we have a large family.

In our experience GE has been crap, we had two and they both crapped out in around five years, had issues with water on one, with temp control on the other. Problems always start right after warranty is out, or course.

Our current Frigidaire isn't making me want to buy another one either. Some connector where the water filter attaches broke, so now the water/ice system is down because all the water goes through the filter. Two of the drawers have broken too, seems like cheaper plastic is the problem throughout. I could probably fix it, but that requires emptying/defrosting, etc.... PITA. Easier to buy the occasional bag of ice and get a glass of water from the tap, there's a filter there too.
Also, the control panel on the front broke earlier, but I was able to fix it pretty easily. Once you start working on things you realize just how cheaply they're made.

Now the thirty plus year old Kenmore out in the unheated garage? It's great... Of course it's your typical stack design, no ice maker, etc... but it just chugs right along.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
we just replaced ours. LG.
it was 3 or 4 years old.
so I agree don't buy one of those.
one before that was a samsung. Also only lasted 3 or 4 years.

LG had us because of the size, biggest fridge you could get without going to comercial or the expensive one, forget the name.

But having to buy one every 4 years is a bit much.

Worst thing is they push a 10 year warranty for their compressor. But it leaked freon instead. So it wasn't covered as part of the warranty.
View Quote

That's good about Whirlpool.  I recently put in a Whirlpool microwave, it would be nice if all the appliances matched.

I don't use ice for anything, so I doubt the icemaker will ever be turned on.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I must be the only person on the planet that likes my LG fridge.  I love the dual ice makers.  I have the extended warranty.  Fingers crossed its three years old.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Every sales guy I talked to said to avoid Samsung. Apparently if they ever need service, it's a total PITA.
View Quote

This is my experience. It's a long fucking tale but 3 refrigerators in 2020 ...finally have a whirlpool.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Have a GE side by side and the freezer is having serious problems with the defrost cycle. Tech coming Monday.

Last GE had ice maker issues but otherwise good for 10+ years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Magic Chef.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#29]
crap I just bought an LG stack front load washer/dryer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Worst design for efficiency.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd recommend General Motors.  I picked up a 'dead' 1948 model today for $40 to make into a smoker, but on a whim I repaired the cord end and plugged it in. Immediately it ran almost silently and got COLD fast.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#33]
They are all shit compared to how they used to be.

Had a GE side by side for 8 years. It was never great but everything worked. Had a recall early on that was fixed.

Replaced that with a Samsung. Ice maker issues at 13 months that were not possible to resolve. It leaked green shit out of the shell and into the fridge so Samsung bought it back.

Dropped 3k on a KitchenAid. We’re on the second set of door seals that are tearing through,  second air diverter, and it still freezes milk and drips water from the dispenser. It had four service calls in the first 3 months. KitchenAid has bought this one back.

Kinda wish I had that GE again  

Don’t know what to get next, but I have a credit waiting at the appliance place when I decide.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#34]
We've had good luck with LG for washers and dryers.

Sumsung was nothing but 100% pain.

Our Samsung washers and dryers had to be replaced within two years after purchase despite multiple warrantied repairs.  

We gave away our Samsung frige bc the icemaker froze over again and again and we finally replaced it with something that worked.

Lesson learned. Caveat emptor.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

A samsung is currently ruining my hardwood floor and basement drywall.

I have a used Bosch that is trucking along with no problems.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd recommend General Motors.  I picked up a 'dead' 1948 model today for $40 to make into a smoker, but on a whim I repaired the cord end and plugged it in. Immediately it ran almost silently and got COLD fast.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40613/IMG_0034_JPG-1814135.JPG
View Quote
Showoff.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#38]
FPNI thing struck again.

LG is booty!!!!  I'm on my fourth one.  The first three went out within the first two weeks of ownership.  LOL...I wanted to return it after the first one, but my wife was stuck on the stupid drawer system.  

Anyhow, the third one leaked and caused some damage to my wood floor.  Suffice to say, we ended up getting the fridge for free and 2000.00 for the fucked up floor.

Moral of the story: LG might be good for phones, but definitely not fridges.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Samsung seems to have issues with condensers icing up but mine is going on 2 years now with no problems. Also have a LP Samsung stove thats been flawless too.
Washer and dryer are whirlpool iirc. I've only had to replace the water pump so far. Was like $30 and 10 mins to install
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Avoid Samsung.

If you ignore the advice and buy a Samsung, post here and I'll explain how to fix all the things that break, which will work until they break again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Our Whirlpool is about 15 years old. Has never seen professional service. I unplug and vacuum out all the dust bunnies from the motor underneath about once per year.

Cons: Stupid water filters.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#42]
My Samsung has been running 10+ years, not even a hiccup.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
same for their washer and dryer, they told me is the issue of parts and support
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#44]
LG is crap.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
avoid LG and Kenmore. Kenmore is built by LG.

View Quote

Kenmore is mostly Whirlpool/Maytag as is Kitchenaid...
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG
View Quote

Yep, been burned with lack of available parts with last Samsung fridge. NEVER AGAIN
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#47]
We have an entire suite of frigidaire appliances, and knock on wood, they've been solid for five years now.

Bonus: if any of them die, we just call maintenance, and they'll replace 'em.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#48]
They are all Chinese except the high end models like Electrolux or Sub-Zero.
If not made in China then they are assembled in the USA from Chinese parts.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Avoid Maytag.  Our house came with all Maytag appliances in the kitchen.  I think every appliance but the microwave has required some sort of attention.  The fridge had two capacitors fail which caused the front display to flash and the ice dispenser door to flap open and closed repeatedly.  Thankfully, it was easy enough to desolder and resolder some new caps (less than $10 fix), but most people either don't have troubleshooting skills or wouldn't bother to fix their own fridge.  Also, the ice dispenser constantly jams.  You have to reach in and get ice out of the bin nearly every time you want ice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Stay away from Samsung.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top