Titan.

Just because.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New tundra rumored for 2020.
View Quote
Personally I wouldn't want one of the new generation until they've had at least a couple years to work out the bugs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you want a truck rather than a luxury car with a bed, Nissan Titan XD. A little more beef than a 1/2 ton,  tough, good engine and best steering (hydraulic rather than electronic power steering). Interior is considered "dated" by the luxury crowd, but it's solid and bugs are all worked out. Oh, and the engine is simpler in design than the new stuff coming out with all the fancy cylinder shut-off gizmos. Oh, and a 5-year, 100K bumper-to-bumper warranty.

No giant touch screens or cool gimmicks. It's a comfortable work truck.
View Quote
I wanted a Titan XD Diesel but couldn't justify the added expense to myself. I bought a 5.6L Titan (not XD) and love it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Find an F350 with a 7.3 and be done with your search
View Quote
LOL
I'm guessing you haven't driven a newer truck. The 7.3's days are over they are super under powered by todays standards and dinosaurs in every other way. Yes, I do currently own one but the new stuff is light years better in every way. Even in the last 5 years trucks have come a long ways.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Which engine do you have in your Tundra?  I have heard the 4.7 liter is underpowered.  I really, really like the Tundra's, what are there hauling capabilities on a Tundra?
View Quote
Like all trucks, it depends on the config you order.  A 8' longbed double cab with the 5.7 is around 1700#'s hauling and 10,100#'s towing, but can drop from there if you go heavy on the options.  The 5.7 is not underpowered, runs 0-60 in the low 6's on par with Ecoboost and 5.0's and faster than 5.7 hemi's.  One reason is they run a 4.30 rear gear which hurts its MPG's though makes increasing tire size a breeze without a big affect in power.  Its easily 2-3mpg lower than the Ford (The 3.15 and 3.31 gets around 1-2mpg better than the 3.55)

At the end of the day, most Ford configs with 3.5 or 5.0 will out haul/tow many of the Tundra 5.7 configs.  In some configs the Tundra wins, in some the Ford wins, but the Ford leads the class in towing and hauling.  It will also have a lot more gadgets.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Personally I wouldn't want one of the new generation until they've had at least a couple years to work out the bugs.
View Quote
Having worked in a handful of plants retooling and on-boarding for new model production, I agree with this statement.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has anyone recommended a Honda Ridgeline yet? If not the Honda Ridgeline.
View Quote
Sorry but we're talking about trucks in this thread and don't care what you metrosexuals think looks cute with your outfit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Ram 2500.

I'd love to hear valid reasons from some of the professionals in this thread blindly advising against them with no substance to their posts.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Like all trucks, it depends on the config you order.  A 8' longbed double cab with the 5.7 is around 1700#'s hauling and 10,100#'s towing, but can drop from there if you go heavy on the options.  The 5.7 is not underpowered, runs 0-60 in the low 6's on par with Ecoboost and 5.0's and faster than 5.7 hemi's.  One reason is they run a 4.30 rear gear which hurts its MPG's though makes increasing tire size a breeze without a big affect in power.  Its easily 2-3mpg lower than the Ford (The 3.15 and 3.31 gets around 1-2mpg better than the 3.55)

At the end of the day, most Ford configs with 3.5 or 5.0 will out haul/tow many of the Tundra 5.7 configs.  In some configs the Tundra wins, in some the Ford wins, but the Ford leads the class in towing and hauling.  It will also have a lot more gadgets.
View Quote
The 1/2tons are easier to live with but the 3/4ton and 1ton have sturdier rear suspension and will tow heavy stuff like a loaded dump trailer much more easily.

Where I live it's all hills and turns etc so extra power helps, it's not like some areas of the valley where all you have to do is get it rolling and you're fine.

Personally I would much rather have a 1/2ton 4x4 (all of them are decent IMHO), a small to medium size dump trailer and then a guy with an actual dump truck for when I need to haul a lot of rock or gravel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get a 3/4 or 1 ton gas truck and be done with it.  I plan on keeping this for 10 years at roughly 5k miles a year and being able to sell it for $20k.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to run them in to the ground, and you don't need to spend a million dollars on a new truck (or over $50k).

I paid $35k ($49k sticker) for my brand new F250 XL (work trim) with a bunch of options.  A year later, it's still worth the $35k that I paid for it.  The 6.2 is a dead nuts reliable engine when left stock, as is the rest of the drivetrain.  The new full size trucks drive damn near as smoothly as the 1/2 ton trucks as well.

https://i.imgur.com/J8w1tpXh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/htU0wEwh.jpg
View Quote
I agree that that is a good choice and a new truck but how in the hell did a XL with gas engine have a sticker price of almost 50, 000?

The XL is pretty stripped down by design, did you have a bunch of dealer add-ons?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Toyota Tundra
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Ford Raptor
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I agree that that is a good choice and a new truck but how in the hell did a XL with gas engine have a sticker price of almost 50, 000?

The XL is pretty stripped down by design, did you have a bunch of dealer add-ons?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a 3/4 or 1 ton gas truck and be done with it.  I plan on keeping this for 10 years at roughly 5k miles a year and being able to sell it for $20k.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to run them in to the ground, and you don't need to spend a million dollars on a new truck (or over $50k).

I paid $35k ($49k sticker) for my brand new F250 XL (work trim) with a bunch of options.  A year later, it's still worth the $35k that I paid for it.  The 6.2 is a dead nuts reliable engine when left stock, as is the rest of the drivetrain.  The new full size trucks drive damn near as smoothly as the 1/2 ton trucks as well.

https://i.imgur.com/J8w1tpXh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/htU0wEwh.jpg

It was over $10,000 in factory options plus the stock 20's off the other models for an additional $2000.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tundra
View Quote
lol, he said he wanted to be able to haul something

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I read here that a Ridgeline is more truck than most people need, so you should get that.
View Quote
I know people here slag on  the Ridgeline but right now I would love to have one in my driveway. They may not be a lot of things but they run and Hondas tend to last a long time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know people here slag on  the Ridgeline but right now I would love to have one in my driveway. They may not be a lot of things but they run and Hondas tend to last a long time.
View Quote
I don't think it's going to do what I want it to do.

I would seriously be interested in a gas 250.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get a used diesel. Like a Ford 6.0.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Must be inspection day in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy a F150 and a trailer.  Not sure where you are getting stone/coal but the guys that are loading my trailer dont give a fuck about your $60,000 F250.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For you that's a great choice. I had one. It was a nice truck. At the time I bought it, it fit my needs well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#23]
A half ton is a bad choice for hauling a ton of coal. Tundra has the worst cargo capacity of the bunch too. I have a Titan XD gasser. I bought a used trailer for picking up coal. It works great and doesn't trash my truck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#24]
If you're waiting a year, see what Toyota has coming for the 2020 tundra. The current one is awfully long in the tooth.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#25]
GMC Sierra
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't be a dick.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Find one of these

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#28]
AKA "How to pay $15,000 for a 25 year old pickup"
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As much as I love my 4runner, the Tundra just doesn't interest me. Needs a redesign badly, and the fuel economy is worst in its class.
I would go f-150 with the 5.0.

ETA- I saw that you want to haul heavy payloads, so I would go with an F-250 in that case. Gas engine will be several thousand dollars cheaper than a diesel.
View Quote
It’s something like $12k cheaper at purchase. Gas will be cheaper to maintain (far, far more so than any diesel) and gas is less expensive so the reduced fuel economy of the gasser will never be an issue.

F250 6.2 gasser in whatever flavor you want.

You can come thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need a dump truck.
View Quote
Yeah no shit. Lol
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like the logical option is a Ford 250.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you said you don't like Rams but holy hell.  You can get a really nice 2500 with a 6.4 HEMI and then purchase a Lifetime Warranty from FCA.  If you search you can get the Lifetime MaxCare Warranties for pretty cheap as long as you don't live in FL.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm thinking my next vehicle may be a Ram 2500 crew cab with the 6.4 gas motor. In basic trim they are attainable in the low 30s. Never been a Chrysler person at all. I just think they look good and seem like decent, honest trucks. A few mods and they look really good

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

ETA: basic gas f250 is about the same price. Also a good option. For half ton, I'd get a Tundra since they last forever.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, this guy gets it
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

F250 should mathematically do it but you will be beating the shit out of the bed on a brand new truck. Plus if you have neanderthals loading the stone into the back of your truck they will dent the sides of it etc too. My 3/4ton had lots of dents in the bed and a giant one in the middle of the tailgate from years of morons loading and unloading concrete stack blocks.

A better idea might be a dump trailer or find someone with a small dump truck who won't kill you on delivery charges.
View Quote
This is what I would do if you do this on any semi regular basis. I used to bring a number of loads of dirt and crushed granite and had to replace my rear shocks in my super cab f150.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't be a dick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't be a dick.
lol

Worst diesel ever. Even after spending thousands “bullet proofing” them everyone I know who owned one still had problems with them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
lol

Worst diesel ever. Even after spending thousands “bullet proofing” them everyone I know who owned one still had problems with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't be a dick.
lol

I'm keeping my phone charged up for SCWs trip through Vegas with his.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I saw a black 2019 Silverado Trail Boss today, its pretty damn tempting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Find an F350 with a 7.3 and be done with your search
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Love my new F250 6.2L. Test drive one with 4.30 gears. Had to order mine. Vinyl floors, manual 4x4 shifter with lock out hubs, power seats, and 360 camera system. Mix of old and new.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Love my new F250 6.2L. Test drive one with 4.30 gears. Had to order mine. Vinyl floors, manual 4x4 shifter with lock out hubs, power seats, and 360 camera system. Mix of old and new.
View Quote
4.30s??

That thing would pull a house!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
F-150 with a 5.0 and deep gears
View Quote
+1 on the F150 5.0 with 3:73 gears. 2018 is the year to get as it has the ten speed transmission.

My .02
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
manual shifter master race

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Those new 2019 GMC’s have the Ghey...Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Titan XD 5.0 Cummins. They discount them deep, they are a great truck and 5yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He said no Rams...and for good reason.

I suggest a Honda Ridgeline.
View Quote
He also said haul a ton of coal or stone in the bed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Dodge Ram
Ford Bronco
Toyota Tundra
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

4.30s??

That thing would pull a house!
View Quote
Yes, I believe it would. MPG isn't that great, but it's still getting broke in. 14 so far. Matches what my old 04 crew cab tundra got. Hopefully this one doesn't rust apart.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#49]
I wouldn't suggest a half ton if you are hauling that much very often.  Today's halfs are yesterday's 3/4.

If you haul much, or tow a camper over 28 feet and 7,000 lb, then you need a 3/4 or 1 ton.

I tow every other weekend from April to October and sometimes November if the winter cooperates.

I let myself be talked into a half ton, and on paper the numbers were good.  800 lb tongue weight and 7500 lb trailer weight all less than 80% of the max loads of my GMC.  But there is more to it than that.  when a trailer starts to move due to wind, passing tractor trailers, etc, the momentum very quickly over powers a half ton truck.

So up to a 3/4 and low and behold when I get where I am going, it was an easier drive, esp if the weather was acting up or passing trucks.  I wasn't as worn out, it towed up and over mountains better.  I was not as tired when done.  I can load more into the truck and not be at the limit.  When you have a trailer with a 900 lb tongue weight, you can max out the payload of a half ton very quick.

If you go 3/4 or 1, then do you go diesel or gas.  I pull over mountains and do several long hauls and I don't do short trips with this truck so diesel works for me and is worth it.

Nothing wrong with gas and if I were to buy gas I would get a GMC.  The 6.0 vortec is the most reliable medium duty gas motor hands down.  Its not the most powerful, it's not fancy but you can put it on 4,500 rpm going up a mountain pass all day long and it won't blink.  No direct injection to foul intake valves.  It can idle all day long, run all the next day.

I had a couple vortec go well over 200k miles.

good shopping.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I saw a black 2019 Silverado Trail Boss today, its pretty damn tempting.
View Quote
Very tempting until one sees the price.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top