Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/18/2018 11:41:33 AM EDT
Looking to buy a new truck in a year or so, but I can't find anything I really like.  I buy vehicles and keep them till they die.  I want my truck to be able to haul a ton of coal or stone in the bed.  Interested in fullsize, crew cab and 4wd only.  Not a fan of Ram or Chevy.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Tundra
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Ford Fusion!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Ram 2500 or 3500

Everything else you'll regret in a couple years
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
As much as I love my 4runner, the Tundra just doesn't interest me. Needs a redesign badly, and the fuel economy is worst in its class.
I would go f-150 with the 5.0.

ETA- I saw that you want to haul heavy payloads, so I would go with an F-250 in that case. Gas engine will be several thousand dollars cheaper than a diesel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ram 2500 or 3500

View Quote
He said no Rams...and for good reason.

I suggest a Honda Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Get which ever one you like best.  Seriously.  They all make good ones with an occasional lemon thrown in.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have fun putting a ton of stone in a ridge line!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#8]
f one fiddy

mine gets its ass beat every week hauling stuff and never had trouble with it.

i got the 3.5 ecoboost, 5.0 is good too.

hauled exactly 2k pounds of dirt in the bed with 5 guys in the truck yesterday for 340 miles.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want an honest 2k lb load capacity in bed of truck go play with the spec sheets first.  A lot of crew cab 4x4 ford f150s have a pitiful load capacity regardless of their rated tow capacity.  Keep in mind that load capacity will also need to cover you and your stuff you keep in the truck as well.

If you don't like ram or chevy, I include gmc in with chevy, then I guess you are looking at fords.

I really like that ford offers some large fuel tank options, though dealers do not seem to be getting em on the lots very much.

Crew cab 3/4 ton could probably do what you want.

I am not a fan of the diesel engines cause of up front cost and while you get the money back at trade in any repairs outside of warranty are huge compared to a gas v8 even if it is a complicated gas v8.

While it may be overkill for a lot of folks, I like the actual 4x4 packages that usually now come with an electric locker in the rear axle.  May not be something you need but if you do need it the thing is dang nice to have.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Seems like you already have the answer based on your limitations given.

But since we are giving suggestions anyways might a suggest a KLR 650? It even has a rack on the back to haul a stone!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looking to buy a new truck in a year or so, but I can't find anything I really like.  I buy vehicles and keep them till they die.  I want my truck to be able to haul a ton of coal or stone in the bed.  Interested in fullsize, crew cab and 4wd only.  Not a fan of Ram or Chevy.  Any recommendations?
View Quote
F250 should mathematically do it but you will be beating the shit out of the bed on a brand new truck. Plus if you have neanderthals loading the stone into the back of your truck they will dent the sides of it etc too. My 3/4ton had lots of dents in the bed and a giant one in the middle of the tailgate from years of morons loading and unloading concrete stack blocks.

A better idea might be a dump trailer or find someone with a small dump truck who won't kill you on delivery charges.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

F250 should mathematically do it but you will be beating the shit out of the bed on a brand new truck. Plus if you have neanderthals loading the stone into the back of your truck they will dent the sides of it etc too. My 3/4ton had lots of dents in the bed and a giant one in the middle of the tailgate from years of morons loading and unloading concrete stack blocks.

A better idea might be a dump trailer or find someone with a small dump truck who won't kill you on delivery charges.
View Quote
best option imo.

f150 and dump trailer
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#13]
F-150 with a 5.0 and deep gears
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
f one fiddy

hauled exactly 2k pounds of dirt in the bed with 5 guys in the truck yesterday for 340 miles.
View Quote
Sounds kinky. How dirty did you all get?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
best option imo.

f150 and dump trailer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

best option imo.

f150 and dump trailer
Read the op and this is exactly what I'd do. Fuck beating up my bed when some gomer in a loader dumps it from too high or trying to dig a ton out from the bed just back up n dump... plus you don't need anything more than a half ton to do what you need I don't think
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
f one fiddy

View Quote
I really like the ecoboost.  How is it reliability wise?  I wouldn't have to haul a ton of coal very far, its just down the road.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like you need a dump truck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tundra
View Quote
FPNI.

Tundra for sure.  Anything else you will regret it in a few years.  My Tundra does all I need in a full sized truck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the Tundra's but from what I've seen on here lately.  They are very outdated and gas mileage could be better.  Titans are nice too but very expensive it seems.  I may look at a dump trailer in the future.

I like the look of the Chevy's but how are they reliability wise?  My father in law and uncle swear by Dodge, any comments or real world experience would be helpful and appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I really like the ecoboost.  How is it reliability wise?  I wouldn't have to haul a ton of coal very far, its just down the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds kinky. How dirty did you all get?
She was a dirty girl.

Quoted:

Have only had it 40k miles but nothing has broken yet.

It hauls a full bed of dirt and other construction equipment regularly along with a trailer and it's never struggled.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone recommended a Honda Ridgeline yet? If not the Honda Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't really get the comments I always see about the Tundra "desperately needing an update". I just got a 2018 Tundra and I'm loving it.

I don't find the mileage all that bad. I was averaging 18 mpg in my last Tacoma. My Tundra is still pretty new, but unless the computer is drastically overestimating it's capable of 18-19 mpg highway if you drive like a grandpa. I've had the tank average as high as 18.5 already (again, computer-based). At current gas prices and my current usage, I had figured if I got 14 mpg average I'd spend an additional $50 per month in gas. All indicators so far say I'm going to do a good bit better than that, so I'm happy. People say the engine is old tech. So what? It's reliable, and that means a lot more to me than squeezing out a few more miles per gallon. One significant repair needed out of warranty will probably wipe out any gas savings.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Has anyone recommended a Honda Ridgeline yet? If not the Honda Ridgeline.
View Quote
So a Ridgeline is going to be able to haul a ton of material in it's bed?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FPNI.

Tundra for sure.  Anything else you will regret it in a few years.  My Tundra does all I need in a full sized truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tundra
FPNI.

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't really get the comments I always see about the Tundra "desperately needing an update". I just got a 2018 Tundra and I'm loving it.

I don't find the mileage all that bad. I was averaging 18 mpg in my last Tacoma. My Tundra is still pretty new, but unless the computer is drastically overestimating it's capable of 18-19 mpg highway if you drive like a grandpa. I've had the tank average as high as 18.5 already (again, computer-based). At current gas prices and my current usage, I had figured if I got 14 mpg average I'd spend an additional $50 per month in gas. All indicators so far say I'm going to do a good bit better than that, so I'm happy. People say the engine is old tech. So what? It's reliable, and that means a lot more to me than squeezing out a few more miles per gallon. One significant repair needed out of warranty will probably wipe out any gas savings.
View Quote
Yes, I could not be happier with my 2018.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which engine do you have in your Tundra?  I have heard the 4.7 liter is underpowered.  I really, really like the Tundra's, what are there hauling capabilities on a Tundra?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
... I want my truck to be able to haul a ton
View Quote
... one ton?

F-450

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... I want my truck to be able to haul a ton
... one ton?

F-450

https://www.carid.com/images/inspiration/ford/f-450/2/1.jpg
Come on down for our new 120 month finance program. At some point they’re going to offer mortgages on these ridiculous trucks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]
cummins or powerstroke.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ram 2500 or 3500

View Quote
With Ram, the regret starts almost immediately.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Which engine do you have in your Tundra?  I have heard the 4.7 liter is underpowered.  I really, really like the Tundra's, what are there hauling capabilities on a Tundra?
View Quote
5.7L. The 4.6L towing capacity was too low, needed the 5.7. I didn't even try the 4.6L for that reason.

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ram 2500 or 3500

LOL
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#34]
If you want a truck rather than a luxury car with a bed, Nissan Titan XD. A little more beef than a 1/2 ton,  tough, good engine and best steering (hydraulic rather than electronic power steering). Interior is considered "dated" by the luxury crowd, but it's solid and bugs are all worked out. Oh, and the engine is simpler in design than the new stuff coming out with all the fancy cylinder shut-off gizmos. Oh, and a 5-year, 100K bumper-to-bumper warranty.

No giant touch screens or cool gimmicks. It's a comfortable work truck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ram 2500 or 3500

The Honda Ridgeline isn't a truck. It's a Subaru Baja that ate too many twinkies.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Tundra needs an engine update badly.  Nothing wrong with it but it low of mileage compared to others.  Other than that they are reliable trucks.  I have a 2010 5.7 DC LB 4x4.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Tundra for a 1/2 ton truck.  Make sure its the 5.7l engine.  Any bigger go with the f250 diesel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
5.7L. The 4.6L towing capacity was too low, needed the 5.7. I didn't even try the 4.6L for that reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the 4.7 has a timing belt and the 5.7 has a timing chain.  I didn't even look at the 4.7's for that reason alone.

My tow package is 10,700 IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
FPNI.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tundra
FPNI.

I like my Tundra and would buy another. One thing about the controls is there is nothing fancy. It uses a key and the radio and ac are pretty basic. Great for me but it could use an upgrade. I see rumors of a 2020 redesign but no information has been released.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Ram or Super Duty.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Get a used diesel. Like a Ford 6.0.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Something with 8-lug wheels...
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your requirements and brand preferences seem to limit you to a Ford Super duty.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Find an F350 with a 7.3 and be done with your search
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Get a 3/4 or 1 ton gas truck and be done with it.  I plan on keeping this for 10 years at roughly 5k miles a year and being able to sell it for $20k.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to run them in to the ground, and you don't need to spend a million dollars on a new truck (or over $50k).

I paid $35k ($49k sticker) for my brand new F250 XL (work trim) with a bunch of options.  A year later, it's still worth the $35k that I paid for it.  The 6.2 is a dead nuts reliable engine when left stock, as is the rest of the drivetrain.  The new full size trucks drive damn near as smoothly as the 1/2 ton trucks as well.

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Ford f250 or Nissan Titan xd
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tundra
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#49]
I buy a new Titan every 5-6 years, I like them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#50]
heres a ford you may likeAttachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top