Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2018 2:25:01 PM EDT
Posting this here as I am really only interested in hearing from folks who work out with headphones.
After many years of using ear buds, I'm tired of wires dangling around and getting in the way, snagging them when running and lifting, rattling earbuds out of my ears when running hard, etc etc etc. I want something wireless, and not earbuds but proper headphones....like those things we wore back in the 80's

Criteria...they need to hold up to a hard workout...so lots of abuse from road running, lots of sweat, occasional rain (so waterproof), high temps (I dont think twice of running when its over 100 degrees)....so basically, they need to be durable to abuse and the elements....enough said.

Looking for something on the cheaper end...high fidelity / audiophile quality isn't the goal here....just a decent audio speak is fine. I am way more concerned about durability and weather than the sound quality...I'm not wearing these in the studio

Fit and weight.....want something light and that will be comfortable to wear for 1-2 hours, and can stay put on a run.

Really looking forward to hearing actual recommendations from you all who really use stuff. For this application, reviews on most websites aren't going to tell me what I need to know.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I embarked on this journey staring in 2016. I bought a pair of Plantronic Backbeat Fit Bluetooth earbuds. They lasted a few months and died. Over the course of a year, I went through 4 pairs of those, through warranty claims and then moved on to Jaybirds. Got a pair of X2s and they died soon and spent the next year getting 4 pairs of Jaybird replacements. I also have a pair of Hopday Bluetooth ear buds from Amazon that are starting to not fully charge. My latest purchase is a pair of Powerbeats 3 ear buds that have been going well for the last couple of months.

So, over the last 3 years, I've been through 10 pairs of earbuds. There are a few things they don't put in the manual. Wipe them down every time and charge them through a low amperage usb port, a computer or laptop usb port.

For reference, I workout 5 days a week usually 1-2 hours. I sweat a little more the average person.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks...I've been looking at the various non-earbud headphones and very few of them appear like they would withstand a run in the rain.
The other challenge is that I really want to use these with an ipod...not a phone. Looks like I get a little bluetooth transmitter dongle with a 3.5mm jack, buts its yet another thing I will need to charge and carry. Really thought technology was ahead of the products I'm seeing online. I cant believe that pro athletes dont have better gear than this crap I am seeing on amazon of Google shopping.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Since phones have increased storage and playback capabilities, ipods and other stuff is going away. Most carry a phone for the added piece of mind, so manufacturers are catering to that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since phones have increased storage and playback capabilities, ipods and other stuff is going away. Most carry a phone for the added piece of mind, so manufacturers are catering to that.
View Quote
Yeah...I can't even imagine carrying a cell phone running...and I definitely don't want to be carrying one around in gym. I'm one of those folks who really can't stand having a cell phone around me unless I am actively using it. Most of the time, I don't even know where I left it. (And I prefer it that way)

Seems like there are a handful of really small transmitters that will work, so I'm not super concerned about that aspect. Mostly wanted something that was sweat and water proof, but I'm starting to think that there isn't anything out there like what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link: http://a.co/4SDy68v
I have had the best look for this type
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.amazon.com/Otium-Headphones-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Cancelling/dp/B0734S1YBS?qid=1533518380&;refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A12097501011&sr=1-7&ref=mp_s_a_1_7

This is the style use.  I prefer the around the ear style vs the ear buds.
View Quote
Thanks...not exactly what I was looking for but at that price it might be worth trying out.
I really wanted the kind that go over the ear but I'm starting to find that it isn't going to happen.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Any of the $25 Soundpeats on Amazon.

ETA I know you said non-earbuds, but I have used these for years running/sprinting/lifting and they stay put without issue.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
What I want is a way to BT my Peltors or MSA's so I have a heavy duty set up with no cords that I know will last. I tried digging into that a few months back but I'm not an electronics guy so I hit a wall pretty quick. Were you thinking of something that could be used at the range as well? Since introducing the sand bags I now have to my range trips my work outs are mostly involving gun work as work so that would be ideal for me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my Jaybird X3s, but getting them to fit perfect was a pain in the dick. The foam parts have to replaced every so often as well. Once you get the fit right, they’re awesome. I use them to run on the treadmill, lift, mow the grass, etc.

I also have trek titanium, not in ear but conduct through the bone by your ear- nice when running near a street or walking the dog but not as nice for the gym. Defeintely nice to be able to hear your surroundings though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Apple AirPods are the greatest technological advancement since the iPhone, and they work great on both iOS and Android.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like my Jaybird X3s, but getting them to fit perfect was a pain in the dick. The foam parts have to replaced every so often as well. Once you get the fit right, they’re awesome. I use them to run on the treadmill, lift, mow the grass, etc.

I also have trek titanium, not in ear but conduct through the bone by your ear- nice when running near a street or walking the dog but not as nice for the gym. Defeintely nice to be able to hear your surroundings though.
View Quote
I agree with this, I have these as well.  I think it's because they use a metal piece that goes into the ear canal.  I ended up using the foam insert combined with the earlobe wingy thingies.

I like my corded skullcandys much better, so if skullcandy makes a BT version, look there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#13]
All the ones I used except the Bose ones sucked balls.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Trex Titanium bone conduction. Some of tge best money I ever spent. Doesn't go in your ear. Still sounds awesome. Works great for phone calls too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I refuse to spend any more money on high end BT earbuds.

I buy the $10 ones at the register in whatever box store I am in....  Right now I have ONN brand.  $10 and work like a charm.

Actual headphones drive me nuts, but I have a pair of skullcandy ones that seem ok.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had really good luck with these:
Amazon Product
  • 9mm drivers deliver stunning sound for music and calls at any volume
  • The wireless hub houses music and call controls for easy use on the go
  • With multiple trendy colors, the Plugs complement any style

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Powerbeats are the way to go.  I dicked around with cheap ones for about six months before just buying what I knew I should have bought in the first place.  Battery lasts a long time and it charges quick. They don’t fall out of my ears when I run and are loud enough to overcome my rapidly beating heart and heavy breathing!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah...I can't even imagine carrying a cell phone running...and I definitely don't want to be carrying one around in gym. I'm one of those folks who really can't stand having a cell phone around me unless I am actively using it. Most of the time, I don't even know where I left it. (And I prefer it that way)

Seems like there are a handful of really small transmitters that will work, so I'm not super concerned about that aspect. Mostly wanted something that was sweat and water proof, but I'm starting to think that there isn't anything out there like what I'm looking for.
View Quote
I use these Bose Soundsport, and link them through bluetooth to my Samsung Gear 3 smartwatch. I copied about 200 tracks to my watch, and when I get tired of them I can change them out fairly easily. If you realy want to drop some coin, you can get a SIM card enabled smartwatch with its own data plan, and stream music.

I've had those earbuds for about three years now, and they still work great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I just ordered the Jlabs JBuds from Amazon after reading about them a bit.  They're $50 and a true wireless earbud.

I'm tired of cords so I hope these pan out.  If not, I'm going to the Jabra or Bose buds.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just ordered the Jlabs JBuds from Amazon after reading about them a bit.  They're $50 and a true wireless earbud.

I'm tired of cords so I hope these pan out.  If not, I'm going to the Jabra or Bose buds.
View Quote
Had them. Hated them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Oontz budz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top