Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2020 10:57:57 PM EDT
My business is a consulting company, I have used ADP for three years for payroll. They file the necessary local, state, federal, taxes.

I am getting tired of their frequent cockups, incomprehensible website, and excruciatingly long hold times (32 minutes just now) for support. I could go into great detail about the issues but it doesn't matter.

Is anyone here a small business owner that uses a payroll company they can recommend?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I use there online chat function and they are come on after 1-2 minutes after the screening  questions are cleared.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the quickbooks payroll service and have for 12 years with up to ten employees it is simple and cheap.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#3]
How many employees? IT takes me about 20 minutes to do payroll for my company with 39 employees. Then another 5 minutes to book the taxes online.

ETA: I use Sage Business Works and have been for the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a small business owner but I have to do a adp permissions spreadsheet a few weeks ago there were almost 500 permissions.  Holy shit it took me about 2 days to get it done.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
How many employees? At some point its less headache tobring it in house.  Up to 100 employees is surprisingly managable with the correct software.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
One employee: Me.

I don't want to be responsible for filing payroll taxes. I have enough to do already.

- Quickbooks. I'll look into this.
- Sage Business Works. Looks like their payroll product is Sage HRMS. I'll look into this, though I get the feeling that Sage is way overkill for my needs.

Anything else out there?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:20:29 AM EDT
[#7]
With quickbooks I use what I think they call the enhanced payroll. It is around $500 a year.

I just input hours and print checks from my computer. Once a month I submit the payroll taxes electronically. Quickbooks notifies you what date it has to be sent by. It calculates everything and submitting literally takes 15 seconds and is done from within quickbooks you don't have to log in to smoother website or mail checks or anything like that.

At the end of of every quarter I have to send in a 941. Again quickbooks prints one out all I do is sign and mail it.

I generate all the W2's and stuff at the end of the year from within quickbooks. I buy the blank forms from Office Depot and print them out. Takes me about 30 minutes to do all my employees.

It is Saturday and I have worked over 110 hours this week and am working tomorrow too. I don't have time to deal with crap either but trust me the quickbooks solution takes very little time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:29:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Try Paychex maybe? Dunno if they do small business.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Paychex and have for 15 years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]
PayCor
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
QuickBooks Payroll is horrible. When I hear that one of our clients (small business) uses QBP, I immediately know that there will be problems eventually.

We recommend Gusto to all of our clients. It cheap, easy to use, and they have excellent customer service.

Accountant
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Doodlebug:
With quickbooks I use what I think they call the enhanced payroll. It is around $500 a year. 

I just input hours and print checks from my computer. Once a month I submit the payroll taxes electronically. Quickbooks notifies you what date it has to be sent by. It calculates everything and submitting literally takes 15 seconds and is done from within quickbooks you don't have to log in to smoother website or mail checks or anything like that. 

At the end of of every quarter I have to send in a 941. Again quickbooks prints one out all I do is sign and mail it. 

I generate all the W2's and stuff at the end of the year from within quickbooks. I buy the blank forms from Office Depot and print them out. Takes me about 30 minutes to do all my employees.

It is Saturday and I have worked over 110 hours this week and am working tomorrow too. I don't have time to deal with crap either but trust me the quickbooks solution takes very little time.
View Quote

First, that’s way too much work. Second, if you forget any of those steps (remitting payroll taxes, filing 941, ect...) you are personally liable to the IRS. QBP will not help you... Dump them, immediately, and use a real payroll service.

Accountant
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a one employee business. My accountant just does my payroll quarterly.  I don't do anything with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:08:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I switched to ADP from Wells Fargo.

I like ADP
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Try Paychex maybe? Dunno if they do small business.
View Quote
We use them, switched from ADP. I like them. I enter everything online. If I have any questions I have an inside rep and an outside rep.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Accountant30339:

First, that’s way too much work. Second, if you forget any of those steps (remitting payroll taxes, filing 941, ect...) you are personally liable to the IRS. QBP will not help you... Dump them, immediately, and use a real payroll service.

Accountant
View Quote

Fuck no its not. I have been doing this twelve years with no issues. I have and use accountant and he has nothing to do with my payroll. I have never been liable to the IRS for shit and if I was it would be my fucking fault forgetting something.There is a single submission every month. It isn't rocket science.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#18]
We use Intuit Online. Piece of cake. One click, payroll done. Another click and it loads it into QuickBooks. Calculates taxes, reminds to file. All docs right there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#19]
God dammit. I just don't get emails from ARFCOM notifying me of posts to my Subscribed threads!
Thank you all for responding and your detail. Rather than quoting everyone, I'll just @ everyone with a comment to let you know I appreciate you taking the time to post in reply to my question.

@Doodlebug
Thank you Doodlebug, I'm actually looking for a service that does ALL of the filing and paperwork for me. I am the only employee and ultimately I don't even cut myself a check I just electronic transfer my pay from my business account to my personal account. I'll still look into QB, I'm sure they have a "we'll take care of everything option" but I appreciate the detail provided.

@medicmandan
Thank you medicmandan, at the end of all this I may just stay with ADP. They're inexpensive enough, I just don't like their website and now they just caused me to incur a $39 overdraft that they refuse to reimburse me for even though it is entirely their fault and I have clear documentation proving it.

@xviperx420 & @OKnativeson & @Dr-G
I don't know why I did not think of Paychex. I will look into them. Thank you gentlemen.

@SBRChris
Totally new company to me. I will ook into them. THank you SBRChris.

@Accountant30339
Okay, thank you Accountant. I will look into Gusto. Have not heard of them but if you're an accountant with clients, you know exactly the type of payroll business a small biz like mine would need. I will look into Gusto, I've never heard of them.

@akpatriot22
All the accounting firms I have talked to want $800-$1000 a year to do payroll.

@Drsalee
Thank you Drsalee. I'm still keeping ADP in mind.

@Some_Beach
Intuit Online is Quickbooks, corrrect?

Many thanks to everyone who responded, I really appreciate the input!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
One employee: Me.

I don't want to be responsible for filing payroll taxes. I have enough to do already.

- Quickbooks. I'll look into this.
- Sage Business Works. Looks like their payroll product is Sage HRMS. I'll look into this, though I get the feeling that Sage is way overkill for my needs.

Anything else out there?
View Quote
Payroll taxes is literally a 2 minute job.

My CPA charges 35 bucks per person to file all the forms with the IRS and TWC.

I click the EFTPS bookmark and click on each box. It auto populates because our salaries never change. The only variable is our draws, but those only get reported once a year.

Click click click click click confirm, logout. Done.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I got rid of paychex and now use paycor. Also tried adp and locals. They all make mistakes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Heartland
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#23]
The company that I work for left ADP for Paycor.  It seems to work okay.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Intuit online isn't Quickbooks per se. Same company, different platform, kind of a plugin/additional service.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I sympathize with you OP. 70 Employees for thirty years. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with this stuff. My advice? Sell and retire.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Used adp at my last company and it was ok. Now ive beem using paycom for about 3 years with zero issues or complaints
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Accountant30339:
QuickBooks Payroll is horrible. When I hear that one of our clients (small business) uses QBP, I immediately know that there will be problems eventually.

We recommend Gusto to all of our clients. It cheap, easy to use, and they have excellent customer service.

Accountant
View Quote

I can second Gusto.  Only have a couple clients with them (most are ADP or Paychex) but I've been impressed with their responsiveness.  As a bonus, their prototype 401k also doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My business is a consulting company, I have used ADP for three years for payroll. They file the necessary local, state, federal, taxes.

I am getting tired of their frequent cockups, incomprehensible website, and excruciatingly long hold times (32 minutes just now) for support. I could go into great detail about the issues but it doesn't matter.

Is anyone here a small business owner that uses a payroll company they can recommend?
View Quote

I’ve use ADP, Paychex, and currently on INVO PEO.  Pretty pleased with INVO though their reporting isn’t quite as good as the other two.  INVO is by far the cheapest.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I use Paychex and have for 15 years.
View Quote

Same here. My CPA firm recommended them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#30]
We've used an employee leasing service before in the past. They took care of everything from worker's comp to taxes for a small fee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top