User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2018 10:30:52 PM EDT
As title says    Please help!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#1]
for a dehydrator, i have this one from walmart

dehydrator

as for recipes...well, it's pretty much up to you.

i've done a flank steak cut into strips and seasoned with Q-Salt

i've sliced roasts thin and marinated in various concoctions(easy marinade is kikkoman teryiaki sauce, worcestershire sauce, garlic, black pepper, hot sauce. but you can use whatever you like)

some folks use seasoned/marinated ground meat and a jerky gun.

just make sure that you leave room between pieces for air flow and rotate the trays for even drying. some will finish sooner than others, so pull them off as they finish when you're rotating your trays. let them cool to room temp then place in ziploc bag or other air-tight container.

doneness is also up to you. if you want it tender, pull earlier. just remember that the more moisture left in it, the shorter the shelf life.

eta-season or marinate after slicing or cutting into strips for better flavor saturation.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
This is generally accepted as the best non-commercial jerky dryer: Nesco FD-75PR

I really prefer the heater and fan being in the top rather than the bottom.  Zero chance of the drips causing problems.  I've done probably 50 batches on mine and it's still rocking.

I don't really measure, but I generally use the following:

1/2c parts worchestershire
1/4c part water
1/4c part soy sauce

2 tbsp Black popper
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp Cajun seasoning (slap ya mama)
1 tsp Ground Cayanne pepper
1 tsp #2 curing salt - optional, but I don't want to deal with any issues getting sick

I cut my meat into 1/4" strips on a meat slicer.  Put them in the freezer for a couple hours and they slice much easier.

Marinate in that in the fridge for at least 8 hours, I let them go 24hrs.

Dry them until when you bend them the fibers on the top break apart.  While hot, they will seem not done, but once they cool down, they should be perfect.  I over-dryed my first batch because I thought to myself, no way is this done.  You'll get the hang of it.

I do not like grinding the meat and using a gun.  IMO, that's not jerky and I don't enjoy the texture at all.  Use a very lean piece of meat, top round is best, then bottom round, eye of round is good, flank can be used too.  Don't use anything from the front shoulder.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do you use number 2 cure?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Once you get your dehydrator you can start to enjoy the benefit of making your own spices like garlic powder or onion powder ect. So much better then store bought stuff.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you use number 2 cure?
View Quote
Food safety.  Prevents the growth of bacteria while your jerky is drying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top