Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2020 12:01:02 PM EDT
All my money is professionally managed and has done well to my satisfaction over the years. I don't want to drag my broker through some crazy ideas I have, so I would like to start on online trading account. My goal and purpose is to put a few bucks into my own schemes. ("Schemes" is not a good word for investing, I know.)

Please recommend an online brokerage/trading application.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Gambling is a better word.  I suck at 5 card poker, so I decided to spin this wheel.  I dusted off my Etrade.  It actually went ghost and I had to make a new account.  It takes a bit of time for your initial ACH deposit to be active for investing.  Additional deposits take three days to be active for trading.  Wire transfers may be quicker, but I think they do this to prevent fraud and money laundering.

Read the fine print, plan for surprises, start early.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Ameritrade, only because I started a long time ago with a local company and they got bought. No complains.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Fidelity for 401k and Roth so I added a brokerage account. Easy to trade and nice resources. Many commission free options. I invested in VOO vanguard s&p 500 ETF commission free.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have E-trade for Buying Stocks of my choosing and Fidelity for a small IRA...
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I use TD Ameritrade and have for a long time. I've been very happy with it. Deposite trying others, I've always come back. Even back when it was $10 per trade I found it worth it. The website interface just worked a lot better for me than some of the other options. It's easy to navigate, has plenty of information to help you make decisions, etc.

Now that trades are free with them, it's a no brainer. I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I use chase
There are no commissions with the you invest account.and mutual fund loads are reduced
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#8]
E-Trade
TD AmeriTrade
Fidelity
Chase

Doesn't seem like there are many out there. I found a few others in a search, but not many more before the beaten path gets narrow. The big ones are likely good for what I want to do. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Merril Edge is what I use.  No issues.  I wish they had a multiple market sell option but that's wishful thinking, it also slows me down from doing something stupid.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
A couple of others to take a look at:

Folio investing

M1 finance
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an account with TD Ameritrade. Having a margin account with them gives you access to the thinkorswim live trading software. Really useful tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top