Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2021 3:52:02 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a Home/Hobby Plasma cutter.
Eastwood has two: a 40Amp and a 60Amp model and the price is right....thoughts?
We have an Esabe at work that's been stellar, but its double the price.
HF?
Others?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Was gonna recommend the Hypertherm45 (that I use), but if you thought the Esabe is expensive...

Can't vouch for the others.

What material do you regularly cut and what's the thickest of each you'd need to cut?
You understand about duty cycle, correct?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had a Eastwood 60 for 4 years and had no problems. Works as claimed.  I use it for home weekend stuff.  If I have any complaints it would be that the consumables don’t last as long as I would like but over all great machine .
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was gonna recommend the Hypertherm45 (that I use), but if you thought the Esabe is expensive...

Can't vouch for the others.

What material do you regularly cut and what's the thickest of each you'd need to cut?
You understand about duty cycle, correct?
View Quote

I expect to cut 1/4" or less, but when you're making things, sometimes it's double that....Frame of a pick up truck, trailer hitch, cutting edge off a Plow, light Farm/Hobby.
I've used oxy/acetylene the last 40 years. Have a SP175 MIG, a 220A TiG, and and old-ass Forney that'll stick weld quite a while before it needs to cool down.  Welder I am not, but I have found better results with the proper equipment.
Jegs has a 60A too: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81601/10002/-1
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Primeweld Cut60 that I'm please with.  I haven't used it a lot, other than a few project,and messing around, but I like the Primeweld stuff.  Good support if you need it.  They pay shipping each way,I believe.

This is the one I have.  They have a few others.

https://primeweld.com/products/cut-60-220v-110v-60-amp-plasma-cutter

ETA: Oops looks like the 60 amp cutters are sold out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Hypertherm or bust.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hypertherm or bust.
View Quote

They'll bust your wallet.  But you are correct.
I was looking at cheaper machines when I started my truck project and found a lightly used Hypertherm 30XP.  I have not regretted spending the $ yet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a Primeweld Cut60 that I'm please with.  I haven't used it a lot, other than a few project,and messing around, but I like the Primeweld stuff.  Good support if you need it.  They pay shipping each way,I believe.

This is the one I have.  They have a few others.

https://primeweld.com/products/cut-60-220v-110v-60-amp-plasma-cutter

ETA: Oops looks like the 60 amp cutters are sold out.
View Quote

While I was trying to choose between this and the Eastwood, a buddy bought the primeweld.  That will be my next purchase
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a hypertherm45 and loved it... first thing I discovered is that my air compressor was not up to the task!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

While I was trying to choose between this and the Eastwood, a buddy bought the primeweld.  That will be my next purchase
View Quote

I ended up buying the Prime weld CUT50D for $278. shipped.  3 year warranty, plenty of good feedback, ordinary consumables and it priced very closely to the 40A machines.
Should be here tomorrow, we shall see!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, i have both the esab cutmaster 60 and the hypertherm 45. both really good machines, the difference i can see is the esab used a bit more consumables. both are fine machines.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Too late for the OP:  Check out the Everlast line of plasma cutters.  I got the SuperCut 50, now replaced with the SuperCut 51P.

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/plasma/supercut-51p

I've cut up to 5/8 and 3/4" with this PC.  If you're a member of TBN, contact Mark at Everlast (there is a very long Everlast thread over there) and get a discount.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Too late for the OP:  Check out the Everlast line of plasma cutters.  I got the SuperCut 50, now replaced with the SuperCut 51P.

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/plasma/supercut-51p

I've cut up to 5/8 and 3/4" with this PC.  If you're a member of TBN, contact Mark at Everlast (there is a very long Everlast thread over there) and get a discount.
View Quote

I got a 206si (Tig/Stick/Plasma combo unit) years ago and it's been good. Curious to hear how OP's much cheaper one does though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top