Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2020 10:01:56 PM EDT
This bull is the best grill I have ever owned and the customer service is out of this world!  

First let me say I got the 590 that has wifi and an app that controls the grill.  The only issue is the temp alarm never really goes off correctly.  When I first got the grill I had some bad screws and a bent handle.  Not only did they ship me new ones that very day, they sent me a $89 flavor pack of seasonings and sauces which are incredible by the way for free as an apology!

They have tons of videos on youtube with recipes.  It was easy to put together and can cook meat like no tomorrow, a monkey like me can do it.  Just about everything I have made has come out incredible.  And I have never made brisket in my life and I have made two that have come out like an award winning Texas BBQ joint.  I'm flat out amazed I made them.  

Now lets talk customer service.  I have never, in my 47 years of life seen anything quite like this.  Maybe there are better grills, fancier, etc, but nothing like the rec tec CS guys and gals.  I made a post on a Facebook group, not even their own group and the next day someone called me!  I didn't even ask for them to call me, they found me online, looked me up in their records and called to help!  WHO DOES THAT?  That is flat out amazing.  They even have after hours call backs if you have some sort of emergency.  It is quite amazing.

Everyone that works there cooks with the grills, they are making food everyday from what I hear at the one brick and mortar store in NC.  I have even spoke to Ray Carnes, the owner.  Yes they are spendy, yes they are made in China, but the build quality is amazing and they have raves of fans and positive reviews.  I have never seen anyone bad mouth them in any of the forums.  And I'm sure if they did, they would make it right.  

I made these tonight, and they are frikken delicious!! Mediterranean Turkey Meatballs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3wsMOyY3o

A few photos of my setup and culinary masterpieces I have made.

If you are in the market, buy one, you wont be disappointed.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
As soon as they offer another sale on the grills, I'm pulling the trigger on that same model.  Almost done it at Christmas, but chickened out.  

Your meat looks tasty as hell.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As soon as they offer another sale on the grills, I'm pulling the trigger on that same model.  Almost done it at Christmas, but chickened out.  

Your meat looks tasty as hell.
View Quote

That was when I bought mine.  20% off with a bunch of accessories.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Fun but easy trick.  

Next time you are going to cook a steak or hamburger, smoke it, not grill it.  Just make sure to set aside a lil extra time.  Makes cheap meat taste like filet mignon.  

Takes me about 45 min on low (225)
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve done that and yes, a basic hamburger is amazing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I've heard they were the best.

Call me gay, but they look like they're sold at a truck stop with those bull horns lol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I researched pellet grills at great length about a year ago. Rec Tec was what I settled on. When it came down to pulling the trigger, I just couldn't justify the costs so I'm still using my Weber grill. I was at my brother's house at Christmas and he had the exact same Rec Tec I was going to buy. He loves it. Maybe one day?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I researched pellet grills at great length about a year ago. Rec Tec was what I settled on. When it came down to pulling the trigger, I just couldn't justify the costs so I'm still using my Weber grill. I was at my brother's house at Christmas and he had the exact same Rec Tec I was going to buy. He loves it. Maybe one day?
View Quote

I'm in this same position.  I really enjoy my weber kettle grill with auto start.  I can buy a decked out yoder but i'm not sure i'll use it enough to justify it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I know, go be poor somewhere else, but I have a camp chef woodwind and love it. I can't think of anything I'd change on it. You can catch some of the models on sale for less than $800.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#9]
OP how many lbs of pellets to cook that brisket?

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fun but easy trick.  

Next time you are going to cook a steak or hamburger, smoke it, not grill it.  Just make sure to set aside a lil extra time.  Makes cheap meat taste like filet mignon.  

Takes me about 45 min on low (225)
View Quote

I just don't know that I could cook a steak low & slow... that's what roasts are for.

What is the max temp you've been able to achieve?
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Dumb question but how does rectec compare to a Traeger?
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Made In China?

The war starts with us!

hard pass

ETA Fuck China
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP how many lbs of pellets to cook that brisket?

View Quote

The hopper holds just under 20 pounds I think, and I use maybe 1/3?  I'm not sure to be honest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Made In China?

The war starts with us!

hard pass

ETA Fuck China
View Quote

You own a Vortex or holosun scope or red dot?  I know, you won't admit to it.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By retroangles:
Made In China?

The war starts with us!

hard pass

ETA Fuck China
View Quote

My 3rd post tonight, I guess I've been drinking too much since my state and company have locked me in.  Fuck China and Fuck Rec Tec.  

You might ask why the hate for Rec Tec?  Under quarantine (state and work), with not much to do in the evenings, I started researching smokers.  I've wanted one for years, and the wife looked over at me last week and out of the blue, she said "let's get one!"

I researched everything on the web, and Rec Tec seemed the best deal with the features I wanted (wifi, etc...)

Then my wife asked where it was made, so I sent them an email - they replied fully assembled in china, but there were 100 delivery people in the US.

Hard stop for me too.  Ended up with a Yoder made in Kansas (don't know where their steel comes from), but at least it's built by Americans.

There will be nothing chineese made in my home ever again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]
@gasitman any regret on getting the 590 over the 700?
I'm really thinking about picking one up but $1200 is stretch.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By retroangles:
Made In China?

The war starts with us!

hard pass

ETA Fuck China
View Quote

Couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#18]
So all of you saying fuck China, are sending that message on your american made phone or computer right?  Shud Up!  I'm sure the same people are rocking a Holosun or Vortex also.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jansen117:
@gasitman any regret on getting the 590 over the 700? 
I'm really thinking about picking one up but $1200 is stretch.
View Quote

The 700 has a longer warranty, a internal light and a 40 pound hopper instead of a 20 pound.  I'ts just me and my girlfriend and my daughter (who is a vegan for medical reasons) so I guess it depends on how big your family is.  I can fit one brisket on my grill which is more than enough.  If you have a family of 4 or more I would say go to the 700.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Papermaker:

There will be nothing chineese made in my home ever again.
View Quote

Except the computer or phone you used to post this drivel right?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Love my 590.  I've had it now for 2+ years.  Not one lick of trouble.  It is quite fuel efficient too.  The Bluetooth app makes it easy to control.  You can even start it remotely.  Made some St. Louis ribs on Sunday.  Best ribs I ever made.  Did the 3-2-1 method at 225.

Does it bother me that it was made in China?  Yes.  If I had it to do again, I would get the Yoder.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By gasitman:

Except the computer or phone you used to post this drivel right? 
View Quote

You are correct, I'm wrong.  Next computer (hell I'm using a 10yro one now) will have > 50% American parts.

I spent $500 more on a grill to avoid sending money to the communist fuckers that released the bat flu on the world.  If you deny that, go take your seat next to Hillary and watch Trump's landslide.

I'm over the china appologists like you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I went with a Yoder about a month or so ago.  Same experience as OP food wise, some of the best I’ve ever made.  Pellet smokers are a great way to get good BBQ without the learning curve involved in stick burners or solid fuel cabinet smokers.  Yoder is made in Kansas and that was important to me but to be honest there’s only so much money to go around.  This smoker killed the optic budget for my current AR build so I may end up with Chinese glass if I can’t find something decent used.  I say fuck China as often as possible but it’s prohibitively expensive for most Americans to buy American every time.  Yup....typed this on my iPhone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By highnpressurized:
I went with a Yoder about a month or so ago.  Same experience as OP food wise, some of the best I’ve ever made.  Pellet smokers are a great way to get good BBQ without the learning curve involved in stick burners or solid fuel cabinet smokers.  Yoder is made in Kansas and that was important to me but to be honest there’s only so much money to go around.  This smoker killed the optic budget for my current AR build so I may end up with Chinese glass if I can’t find something decent used.  I say fuck China as often as possible but it’s prohibitively expensive for most Americans to buy American every time.  Yup....typed this on my iPhone.
View Quote

@highnpressurized

A for honesty.  some of the vortex stuff is made in the phillipines, potential budget option that isn't exactly China.

and why havent you posted your yoder and some smoked goodness yet?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Vortex does not equal China.  Jesus.

Tagged for interest, kinda want to go the pellet route
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been looking at grills myself. I've narrowed it down to Rec Tec and Blaz'n Grillworks. Blaz'n is made in Nebraska, but it a bit more expensive than RecTec, but not as high as Yoder.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I went with a Yoder about a month or so ago.  Same experience as OP food wise, some of the best I’ve ever made.  Pellet smokers are a great way to get good BBQ without the learning curve involved in stick burners or solid fuel cabinet smokers.  Yoder is made in Kansas and that was important to me but to be honest there’s only so much money to go around.  This smoker killed the optic budget for my current AR build so I may end up with Chinese glass if I can’t find something decent used.  I say fuck China as often as possible but it’s prohibitively expensive for most Americans to buy American every time.  Yup....typed this on my iPhone.
View Quote

I really want a Yoder so much, but my 7 year old Traeger just won’t die :/ ... I just upgraded the controller to Savanna Stoker with a probe and a smarted board and put a gasket on the door - was tired of temp fluctuations... once this thing goes, Yoder for me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I went with a Yoder about a month or so ago.  Same experience as OP food wise, some of the best I’ve ever made.  Pellet smokers are a great way to get good BBQ without the learning curve involved in stick burners or solid fuel cabinet smokers. 
View Quote

I have been smoking on my weber kettle a lot but for a long smoke I'm getting tired of baby sitting that thing for 10hrs so the pellet seems to be the way to go.
We also grill on my weber two times a week so a pellet seems like it will also be way more convenient for mid week grilling.
i would love to get a Yoder but for under $1k the Rec-Tec seems to be the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Burnsy87:
Vortex does not equal China.  Jesus.

Tagged for interest, kinda want to go the pellet route
View Quote

@Burnsy87

Have you researched http://www.blazngrillworks.com/.  Made right here in Nebraska.  I first heard of them here on ARFCOM.  When my Weber wears out I'll be getting one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

@Burnsy87

Have you researched http://www.blazngrillworks.com/.  Made right here in Nebraska.  I first heard of them here on ARFCOM.  When my Weber wears out I'll be getting one.
View Quote

I did when someone else mentioned em, I'll go that route.

I appreciate the mention
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

@highnpressurized

A for honesty.  some of the vortex stuff is made in the phillipines, potential budget option that isn't exactly China.

and why havent you posted your yoder and some smoked goodness yet?
View Quote

Here you go...best ribs I’ve ever made.  About 5 hours to smoke.  I’m sure there’s good, better and best when it comes to these things but you can make some really good grub on any of the smokers mentioned in this thread.  It’s like anything else with man and machine, run what ya brung and run it often.  Lots of guys around here with low budget guns that can out shoot dudes with Gucci guns all day long.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top